Hell of the North ride

Chris Tarpey

Guest
Planning on doing the Hell of the North from Darlington this September
(100 miles crossing the Pennines twice, if you've not heard of it).
The thing is, I live near the route (near Middleton/Eggleston) and was
wondering if I'd get away with starting and finishing in say
Eggleston, rather than going through the hassle of getting to
Darlington and back.

As its on (open) public roads, there's nothing to stop me doing it
that way, but would I miss out on anything by not passing the official
finish line?

Chris.
www.eastbriscoe.co.uk

> As its on (open) public roads, there's nothing to stop me doing it
> that way, but would I miss out on anything by not passing the official
> finish line?

It all depends on how you do the ride and the arrangements made by the
organisers to log the finishers.

Initially I thought that you would ride to Kirkby Stephen and back and miss
out Darlo - this wouldn't make a complete ride.

I now think that you intend to do the full loop but use Egglestone as your
start finish...

You probably won't get official recognition but you can have the
satisfaction of saying that you've done a challenging century ride.

I think I'll register for it as I've not been out your way for 20 years or
so and miss the area.

Have you contacted the organisers to seek calification from them?

Chris Tarpey wrote:
> I've not found any more info online, but I spoke to the organiser from
> Darlington Council and he was very helpful and emailed me the route
> and an entry form.

Many thanks for posting the route.

Mike