Hell Ride crash 'inevitable'

Friday

Guest
From the Age.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/hell-ride-crash-inevitable/2007/05/01/1177788114967.html

A "Hell Ride" cyclist found himself "between a rock and a hard place"
when he made the fatal decision to run a red light, killing an elderly
pedestrian, the cyclist's lawyer told an inquest today.

State Coroner Graeme Johnstone today heard final submissions on the
death of James Gould, 77, who was struck by cyclist William Raisin-Shaw
as he tried to cross a pedestrian crossing at Beach Road, Mentone, in
August last year.

Mr Raisin-Shaw, 30, of St Kilda, was one of up to 200 cyclists
participating in the "Hell Ride" - a weekly 75 kilometre high-speed ride
through Melbourne's bayside suburbs.

He has been charged with failing to stop at a red light, a charge that
carries a maximum fine of $215.

His lawyer, Michael Sharpley, today told the court his client had found
himself "between a rock and a hard place" with riders behind him yelling
at him to continue through the crossing, despite the fact the light had
already turned red.

"His view was that to brake heavily, in circumstances where those behind
had clearly signalled their intentions, would inevitably cause an
accident - potentially a serious one, involving a number of cyclists,"
Mr Sharpley said in his submission.

"The alternative of proceeding through the red signal appeared to be the
lesser of the two evils, on the basis that it was unlikely that a
pedestrian would walk out in front of cyclists approaching at speed," he
said.

Mr Sharpley said Mr Gould had been hidden from Mr Raisin-Shaw's view by
the cyclists in front of him.

Mr Raisin-Shaw's decision proved to be wrong, but in the circumstances
it "was not unreasonable", Mr Sharpley said.

Mr Sharpley accepted that his client had contributed to Mr Gould's death
but argued his actions were "not indicative of any significant degree of
negligence."

Mr Sharpley said Mr Gould had walked "into a wall of cyclists," and
would have been struck by another cyclist if Mr Raisin-Shaw had missed him.

In another submission, Gerard Mullaly, representing CycleSport Victoria
and the Amy Gillett Foundation, suggested a cyclists' code of conduct be
distributed with all new bikes sold.

He argued it was not practical nor was it desirable to control the size
of groups of cyclists, as danger came from the behaviour of individual
cyclists.

He emphasised that cyclists must obey the road rules at all times and
use adequate lighting when riding at night so they could be seen by
motorists.

Mr Johnstone will deliver his finding on July 25.

theage.com.au

"Friday" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> From the Age.
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/hell-ride-crash-inevitable/2007/05/01/1177788114967.html
>
> A "Hell Ride" cyclist found himself "between a rock and a hard place" when
> he made the fatal decision to run a red light, killing an elderly
> pedestrian, the cyclist's lawyer told an inquest today.
>
> State Coroner Graeme Johnstone today heard final submissions on the death
> of James Gould, 77, who was struck by cyclist William Raisin-Shaw as he
> tried to cross a pedestrian crossing at Beach Road, Mentone, in August
> last year.
>
> Mr Raisin-Shaw, 30, of St Kilda, was one of up to 200 cyclists
> participating in the "Hell Ride" - a weekly 75 kilometre high-speed ride
> through Melbourne's bayside suburbs.
>
> He has been charged with failing to stop at a red light, a charge that
> carries a maximum fine of $215.
>
> His lawyer, Michael Sharpley, today told the court his client had found
> himself "between a rock and a hard place" with riders behind him yelling
> at him to continue through the crossing, despite the fact the light had
> already turned red.
>
> "His view was that to brake heavily, in circumstances where those behind
> had clearly signalled their intentions, would inevitably cause an
> accident - potentially a serious one, involving a number of cyclists," Mr
> Sharpley said in his submission.
>
> "The alternative of proceeding through the red signal appeared to be the
> lesser of the two evils, on the basis that it was unlikely that a
> pedestrian would walk out in front of cyclists approaching at speed," he
> said.
>
> Mr Sharpley said Mr Gould had been hidden from Mr Raisin-Shaw's view by
> the cyclists in front of him.
>
> Mr Raisin-Shaw's decision proved to be wrong, but in the circumstances it
> "was not unreasonable", Mr Sharpley said.
>
> Mr Sharpley accepted that his client had contributed to Mr Gould's death
> but argued his actions were "not indicative of any significant degree of
> negligence."
>
> Mr Sharpley said Mr Gould had walked "into a wall of cyclists," and would
> have been struck by another cyclist if Mr Raisin-Shaw had missed him.
>
> In another submission, Gerard Mullaly, representing CycleSport Victoria
> and the Amy Gillett Foundation, suggested a cyclists' code of conduct be
> distributed with all new bikes sold.
>
> He argued it was not practical nor was it desirable to control the size of
> groups of cyclists, as danger came from the behaviour of individual
> cyclists.

GOOD!

> He emphasised that cyclists must obey the road rules at all times and use
> adequate lighting when riding at night so they could be seen by motorists.

GOOD!

> Mr Johnstone will deliver his finding on July 25.
>
> theage.com.au

High speed ride? Sounds like they are going faster than the cars!

Friday wrote:
> From the Age.
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/hell-ride-crash-inevitable/2007/05/01/1177788114967.html
>

> A "Hell Ride" cyclist found himself "between a rock and a hard place"
> when he made the fatal decision to run a red light, killing an elderly
> pedestrian, the cyclist's lawyer told an inquest today.

<edit>

Obviously a dodgy situation - that ride doesn't exactly sound like my
idea of fun, but then I never have understood serious roadies....

--
//Adam F

Adam F said:
Obviously a dodgy situation - that ride doesn't exactly sound like my
idea of fun, but then I never have understood serious roadies....

If all this pr*ck gets out of this is just a fine, it is a freakin travesty of justice. He killed someone, yet is just making excuses, the excuse is that he was part of this ride, so therefore I should not have to pay the consequences of killing someone.

You broke a law and the consequences of that is that you killed someone, Someones partner, father, brother.

Geesh there is no way I could be a lawyer.

MikeyOz said:
If all this pr*ck gets out of this is just a fine, it is a freakin travesty of justice. He killed someone, yet is just making excuses, the excuse is that he was part of this ride, so therefore I should not have to pay the consequences of killing someone.

You broke a law and the consequences of that is that you killed someone, Someones partner, father, brother.

Geesh there is no way I could be a lawyer.
agreed.

How is this any different from any case with a car driver hitting a bike?

I cant believe that the lawyer states "he would have been hit by another cyclist". Oh well, that makes it ok then. If we are all doing it thats fine.

Really not happy about reading this. This w*nker is going to get off with nothing.

On May 2, 8:11 pm, byron27 <byron27.2py...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> MikeyOz Wrote:> If all this pr*ck gets out of this is just a fine, it is a freakin
> > travesty of justice. He killed someone, yet is just making excuses,
> > the excuse is that he was part of this ride, so therefore I should not
> > have to pay the consequences of killing someone.

> > You broke a law and the consequences of that is that you killed
> > someone, Someones partner, father, brother.

> > Geesh there is no way I could be a lawyer.

> agreed.
>
> How is this any different from any case with a car driver hitting a
> bike?
>
> I cant believe that the lawyer states "he would have been hit by
> another cyclist". Oh well, that makes it ok then. If we are all doing
> it thats fine.
>
> Really not happy about reading this. This w*nker is going to get off
> with nothing.

not necessarily, all you've read is his lawyer's argument to the
coroner, which is not the same thing as a criminal (or civil ... which
is one potentially interesting area in this case) proceeding.

The obvious counter-argument is that he made the deliberate choice to
participate in the ride, knowing full well how it worked and what
behaviour was likely.

> --
> byron27

....the statements are selve serving...clearly, and that is what erks us, but in context this submission is part of the process. It's a Coronial Enquiry, not a prosecution for an offence. The Coroner wants to know what happened, and asks for explanations from those involved or connected . This guy has already admitted he impacted with Mr Gould and that caused his death, and we hope for his own sake he will accept the punishment ( regrettably, light as it will be) down the track for failing to stop at a red light ( big deal )...

...there is a bit more afoot here if you read into the submission by CSV and AGFs Counsel. They have a lot more at stake, either as 1) a peak body in this State on the sport of cycling and 2) the other being involved in advocacy and aware of the trauma any death causes to those involved. They are the ones who are saying to the Coroner, we have valuable contributions to make to help you look at how we as a society can make sense of this and bring about change.

A lot of the noise is an over reaction, especially by the feeding frenzy of an overzealous headline hunting print media. One death in Victoria caused by a bike in how many years? . One death here, in the midst of continuous carnage against bicycle riders and pedestrians by motorised vehicles controlled by drunks, drug affected , arrogent or inattentive drivers and the press gleefully unleash hell on everyone who rides Beach Road as a "racing pack of hell raisers". In the opinion of the press they make all bicylce riders guilty by association!

This rider cannot justify what took place by saying "if it wasnt me it would have been someone else", but the sad fact is, he is right!
This incident no matter how seemingly insignificant in the scheme of road fatality statistics will likely get a strong and scathing further reaction down the track.

The guy making this assertion is certainly going to bring that further scathing attack and likely unwanted ( but possibly not unwarranted in the opinion of some) strong enforcement countermeasures upon all riders if the Coroner accepts it.

I'm inclined to think the Coroner will say to this rider..."no mate it is your personal responsibility to make decisions and choices in how you ride your bike if the consequences mean someone is injured or killed. You made the choice, you accept the consequences of your actions and face the music. As for other riders, all be warned you too have to be responsible and ride accordingly, you cannot hide in a group and accept to get immunity".

The argument raised by his Counsel is akin with the **** we have heard before here, and out riding, that a bunch is the same as an articulated vehicle and everyone has to wait till it passes. Wrong, every individual is responsible for their own actions and must ride accordingly. Riding in a group doesn't abrogate that responsibility.

That's how I feel anyway...toss the book at him, but sadly its only going to be a softcover!

rooman said:
That's how I feel anyway...toss the book at him, but sadly its only going to be a softcover!

I pretty much agree with all this and understand it is a Coronial Enquiry, it is just what is being said that is disappointing me. I want this guy to come out and accept full responsibility for his actions, instead of cowering behind the fact he was riding in a group.

I know he is not saying it, but its almost like saying, I just have to say my ass, the guy is dead now, I just have to save my ass. Its the same as a car driver hitting a cyclist, "honestly I did not see him", just admit you screwed up, you were not concentrating, not looking for a cyclist. Your actions, its just all about I have to "Save my own ass"

"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> rooman Wrote:
>> That's how I feel anyway...toss the book at him, but sadly its only
>> going to be a softcover!

> I pretty much agree with all this and understand it is a Coronial
> Enquiry, it is just what is being said that is disappointing me. I
> want this guy to come out and accept full responsibility for his
> actions, instead of cowering behind the fact he was riding in a group.
>
> I know he is not saying it, but its almost like saying, I just have to
> say my ass, the guy is dead now, I just have to save my ass. Its the
> same as a car driver hitting a cyclist, "honestly I did not see him",
> just admit you screwed up, you were not concentrating, not looking for
> a cyclist. Your actions, its just all about I have to "Save my own
> ass"
>

> --
> MikeyOz

"...I just have to save my ass"...

Picky bit: It's "****" here in Oz. The septics might have a problem
distinguishing their donkey from their derriere, but here we know the
difference and that knowledge is reflected in our language.

Sorry - it's just one of my many pet peeves :p

me

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 3 May 2007 09:07:07 +1000
MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote:

> rooman Wrote:
>> That's how I feel anyway...toss the book at him, but sadly its only
>> going to be a softcover!

> I pretty much agree with all this and understand it is a Coronial
> Enquiry, it is just what is being said that is disappointing me. I
> want this guy to come out and accept full responsibility for his
> actions, instead of cowering behind the fact he was riding in a group.

Dunno.. it is an interesting problem.

You are coming to a red light. you know it is common for riders in
the hell ride to run it so it's likely there's a bunch of bods going
to be coming up beside you maybe even hitting you. You yourself can't
see any reason to stop (as you can't see the ped).

Do you stop and risk someone crashing into you? Especially as people
are yelling loudly?

Risking an almost certain crash compared to a minor naughtiness which
is all it would have been if that bod (the one you didn't know was
there) wasn't crossing?

How many people have made the decision to run the red and not hit
someone?

I can see it as a difficult decision for someone who would ride in the
Hell Ride in the first place. Not easy for them at all. What's
"right" is clear, but how many make the "right" decision given the
fact that running the light has happened many times without mishap?

What would be an equivalent decision for non-HellRide cyclists to show
the dilemma? Not sure, what is a common cyclist thing that's
theoretically illegal but is often done and almost never causes a
problem?

Zebee

"Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 3 May 2007 09:07:07 +1000
> MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> rooman Wrote:
>>> That's how I feel anyway...toss the book at him, but sadly its only
>>> going to be a softcover!

>> I pretty much agree with all this and understand it is a Coronial
>> Enquiry, it is just what is being said that is disappointing me. I
>> want this guy to come out and accept full responsibility for his
>> actions, instead of cowering behind the fact he was riding in a group.
>>

> Dunno.. it is an interesting problem.
>
> You are coming to a red light. you know it is common for riders in
> the hell ride to run it so it's likely there's a bunch of bods going
> to be coming up beside you maybe even hitting you. You yourself can't
> see any reason to stop (as you can't see the ped).
>
> Do you stop and risk someone crashing into you? Especially as people
> are yelling loudly?
>
> Risking an almost certain crash compared to a minor naughtiness which
> is all it would have been if that bod (the one you didn't know was
> there) wasn't crossing?
>
> How many people have made the decision to run the red and not hit
> someone?
>
> I can see it as a difficult decision for someone who would ride in the
> Hell Ride in the first place. Not easy for them at all. What's
> "right" is clear, but how many make the "right" decision given the
> fact that running the light has happened many times without mishap?
>
> What would be an equivalent decision for non-HellRide cyclists to show
> the dilemma? Not sure, what is a common cyclist thing that's
> theoretically illegal but is often done and almost never causes a
> problem?
>
> Zebee

There's the key: "...compared to a minor naughtiness". We still (I include
myself) regard running a red as a minor naughtiness when it suits us then
bay for blood when we don't like the consequence.

me

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 02 May 2007 23:33:32 GMT
Plodder <[email protected]> wrote:

> There's the key: "...compared to a minor naughtiness". We still (I include
> myself) regard running a red as a minor naughtiness when it suits us then
> bay for blood when we don't like the consequence.

That's what I was thinking.

Everyone - driver, cyclist, motorcyclist, pedestrian - does minorly
naughty things. And sometimes there's someone or something unexpected
and pain ensues.

Think about the recent tragedy on the Cotter - a rider does something
they shouldn't have done but maybe did many times before without
incident but this time there was a car.

There's a stop sign near my place, a T junction where one side of the
crossbar is a dead end with one dead end road leading off it. So 99.99%
of traffic coming out of the stem is turning into the non-dead end of
the crossbar, and 99.99% of traffic along the crossbar is turning into
the stem.

On the pushie I might do either (the dead end also leads to a cycle
path) but coming out of the stem I and most traffic roll right through
because no one ever seems to cross the stem, always turning into it.

One day (on the motorcycle) I realised that a car was going straight
ahead, so I stopped. Had I been a little less awake (and he a bit
closer when I got there) then nastiness might have ensued. All my
fault for sure, but still....

I use that intersection twice a day every working day and usually at
least twice over a weekend. For 4 years now. I think I've seen one
straight-ahead vehicle - that one - in that time. So I have been
conditioned to not bother about it really. As, I suspect, many people
are conditioned to commit their minor naughtinesses to make their
lives more convenient.

Zebee

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 3 May 2007 09:22:32 +1000
rooman <[email protected]> wrote:

> MikeyOz Wrote:
>> chomp...
>>
>> , "honestly I did not see him",

> translates to:
>
> didn't look

Not always.

can translate to "Looked, but there was a physical obstruction in
the way". I've seen a rather worrying film of a driver's view of a
roundabout from inside a late model car. The driver's side pillar was
big enough to completely obscure a motorcycle entering the roundabout.
The converging speeds and the angles were such that the bike was hidden
all the way.

It can also translate to "looked but did not expect, so did not process".
It's happened to me at an intersection where there was never any traffic.
Once day I came to the give way sign, slowed, looked (as in turned my
head) and then realised the brakes had gone on. It wasn't till I had
thought "why are the brakes on" that I saw the car. My subconscious had
put them on, the conscious mind was still sure there was nothing there
because it expected to see nothing.

I have seen the same thing in a car I was a passenger in. Similar
intersection - never any traffic there. I saw on the left a small bright
yellow panel van (with its headlights on even!) but my housemate who was
driving breezed through the intersection and was startled by the brakes
and horn of the aggrieved van. I *saw* him turn his head. But he didn't
expect to see, so he didn't. "Where did he come from?" and I had to say
"he's been there all the time."

There is a big difference between can't see, didn't look, and didn't see.
The didn't see is the hardest to deal with because really honestly they
did look and they didn't see. Not because bikes (or Commodores or yellow
vans) are hard to see, but because expectations are hard to change.

Zebee

On May 3, 9:26 am, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 3 May 2007 09:07:07 +1000
>
> MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > rooman Wrote:
> >> That's how I feel anyway...toss the book at him, but sadly its only
> >> going to be a softcover!

> > I pretty much agree with all this and understand it is a Coronial
> > Enquiry, it is just what is being said that is disappointing me. I
> > want this guy to come out and accept full responsibility for his
> > actions, instead of cowering behind the fact he was riding in a group.

> Dunno.. it is an interesting problem.
>
> You are coming to a red light. you know it is common for riders in
> the hell ride to run it so it's likely there's a bunch of bods going
> to be coming up beside you maybe even hitting you. You yourself can't
> see any reason to stop (as you can't see the ped).
>
> Do you stop and risk someone crashing into you? Especially as people
> are yelling loudly?
>
> Risking an almost certain crash compared to a minor naughtiness which
> is all it would have been if that bod (the one you didn't know was
> there) wasn't crossing?
>
> How many people have made the decision to run the red and not hit
> someone?
>
> I can see it as a difficult decision for someone who would ride in the
> Hell Ride in the first place. Not easy for them at all.

They made the decision earlier, when a cyclist decides to participate
in that ride. What happens in that ride is no secret.

On May 3, 10:15 am, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 3 May 2007 09:22:32 +1000
>
> rooman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > MikeyOz Wrote:
> >> chomp...

> >> , "honestly I did not see him",

> > translates to:

> > didn't look

> Not always.
>
> can translate to "Looked, but there was a physical obstruction in
> the way". I've seen a rather worrying film of a driver's view of a
> roundabout from inside a late model car. The driver's side pillar was
> big enough to completely obscure a motorcycle entering the roundabout.
> The converging speeds and the angles were such that the bike was hidden
> all the way.

A pillars (the part of a car you're describing as a vision blocker,
there's 3, A pillar, B pillar and C pillar, in most car designs) are
big. If you can't see the drivers face, they can't see you.

Zebee Johnstone said:
What would be an equivalent decision for non-HellRide cyclists to show
the dilemma? Not sure, what is a common cyclist thing that's
theoretically illegal but is often done and almost never causes a
problem?
Zebee

I understand what you are saying, but you missed my point.

My point was take responsibility for your actions, instead of hiding behind the guise of "I was riding in a group, it was going to happen, it just happened to be me, but because I was riding in a group, nothing should happen to me"

Total bullsh*t

Put your hand up and say, it was my fault I decided to run the red light and I Killed someone, not the group, not the person behind me or in front of me. But me because "I" decided to run the red light.

On 2007-05-03, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)
> Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
>> What would be an equivalent decision for non-HellRide cyclists to show
>> the dilemma? Not sure, what is a common cyclist thing that's
>> theoretically illegal but is often done and almost never causes a
>> problem?
>> Zebee

> I understand what you are saying, but you missed my point.
>
> My point was take responsibility for your actions, instead of hiding
> behind the guise of "I was riding in a group, it was going to happen,
> it just happened to be me, but because I was riding in a group, nothing
> should happen to me"
>
> Total bullsh*t
>
> Put your hand up and say, it was my fault I decided to run the red
> light and I Killed someone, not the group, not the person behind me or
> in front of me. But me because "I" decided to run the red light.

Particularly since there are (unsubstantiated) allegations he rode
around a part of the bunch that had already stopped. Of course, they
are going to say that to get themselves out of trouble, but who do you
believe?

My other point of view is that I really hope the coroner doesn't place
any weight on that particular argument of this cyclist, since we would
be absolutely screwed if such an argument was ever made at a coroner's
court for cars in a line of traffic -- you'd never stop a line of
traffic at a red light or for any obstacle on the road.

--
TimC
Error in operator: add beer

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 3 May 2007 16:35:17 +1000
MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote:

> Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
>> What would be an equivalent decision for non-HellRide cyclists to show
>> the dilemma? Not sure, what is a common cyclist thing that's
>> theoretically illegal but is often done and almost never causes a
>> problem?
>> Zebee

> I understand what you are saying, but you missed my point.

Yes, I was riffing on it really.

IN that there is certainly personal responsibility but why are people
"not responsible"? Do they think "I will be irresponsible"? Do they
think "I'll kill someone but I don't care"?

Nope... more likely to be normal people doing something that has
ceased to be "wrong" because there have been no consequences. TIll
now.

Zebee