Hell Ride cyclists told to clean up act

mysrh

Apr 2, 2006
Just read this article, it's really nothing to be proud of about those cyclists. At this case, I am on the side of those people demand more safety measure from group cyclists.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21463336-421,00.html

"A CORONER has demanded cyclists on Melbourne's now notorious Hell Ride clean up their act after a pedestrian was fatally struck as riders ran a red light. In an unusual move, Victorian state coroner Graeme Johnstone interrupted testimony at an inquest into the tragedy to blast the leaders of the informal but long-standing Saturday morning ride through Melbourne's bayside suburbs.

James Gould, 77, was struck while trying to cross a road in Mentone about 8.30am on August 26 last year and later died in hospital.

The inquest heard from several witnesses that a group of cyclists in the 100-strong pack had run the crossing's red light as they struggled to maintain contact with the leaders just two kilometres from the finish of the ride."

mysrh said:
Just read this article, it's really nothing to be proud of about those cyclists. At this case, I am on the side of those people demand more safety measure from group cyclists.
This is just major major old news. It was a sad accident. Hell ride is fine IMO.

I enjoy messing it up with groups on Beach Rd as much as anyone, but there's no doubt the Hell Ride is (usually) just too big and too dangerous. I'm suprised nobody else has been seriously injured, and I'm sure others will be, most likely cyclists. Something is bound to happen one day, and there'll be a pile-up of 20 or 30 riders.

A lot of the particpants say it's ok, with all the appropriate signalling going on, etc, but if someone went to the Sandown races and said they gunna add some obstacles on the course, such as several cars that may or may not pull out in front of them; several cars that will try to squeeze past the bunch at 60+ kph; traffic lights which may or may not suddenly turn red when the bunch is halfway through; or pedestrians around the course -- the riders would tell them to fark orf, coz it sounds like a bad joke.

The bottom line is that it's farken dangerous to have a 50, 60, 100, or 150+ vehicles tailgating each other, 6 inches apart, at 50+kph. Motor vehicles are obviously much heavier than a cyclist and his or her bike, but the coppers wouldn't let any other vehilces tailgate each other in such large numbers at such speeds.

mysrh said:
Why should you feel guilty about what someone else has done? As a car driver I don't feel guilty when some hoon kills someone doing burnouts.

There is no excuses for the terribly sad incident which killed the pedestrian.

A lot of cars also run red lights at pedestrian crossings, even when it is clear they have time to stop. I teach my kids only to cross at lights only when cars have stopped in both directions, or it is apparent the road is clear.

Punters should stay off the Hell Ride. It's the people hanging out the back that can't do turns that cause the problems. Too scared to have to do some work if the bunch gets split. The fact the dude went around stationary cyclists that were on the ride and had stopped is just inexcusable.

muppet eater said:
Punters should stay off the Hell Ride. It's the people hanging out the back that can't do turns that cause the problems. Too scared to have to do some work if the bunch gets split. The fact the dude went around stationary cyclists that were on the ride and had stopped is just inexcusable.
+1 Correctamundo. Punters = Spastics. Turn up for the t-shirt etc etc. like when you were a kid and you let some loser kid join in your cricket match and you reckon it was a bad idea and he confirms it when you give him a bat and he somehow finds a way to snap the handle so everyone cant play. Great.

There was a ferry accident in Sydney harbour a few days ago. Another sad accident. People have died. Lets stop all boats on Sydney harbour or maybe just make it 'one boat at time'. That ought to fix things. Pffffftttttttttt. This country is become more conservative seppo every goddamn day IMHO.

existence said:
. This country is become more conservative seppo every goddamn day IMHO.
It's basically a race on an open public road.

Liability issues aside, if you asked any cycling governing body to sanction a race on those same roads, with the same obstacles (lots of cars with very angry drivers, parked cars in lbind-spots, traffic lights, possible runaway dogs and cats, etc), they'd laugh it off as a bad, very dangerous joke

It wouldn't bother me if it was banned, or if the coppers stopped them, told them it was rtoo big, and made them ride off in groups of 20, or told half of them to ******** in other directions or they'll book them for tailgating.

As they say, if they wanna race, there are races every weekend, so strap on a number and get to it.

I race regularly. I find the Hell Ride an important part of my race training. There's no other ride that gives me the intensity that it does. Interval training by smashing off the front with incomplete recovery periods when I get caught for 100km. It's hard to find a replacement for that. I know that the behaviour of the front guys is in most circumstances very good, if a light goes red, everybody stops. I've found this summer more than any before that most of the good bunch rides have been taken over by muppets. Bring on winter.

muppet eater said:
I race regularly. I find the Hell Ride an important part of my race training. There's no other ride that gives me the intensity that it does. Interval training by smashing off the front with incomplete recovery periods when I get caught for 100km. It's hard to find a replacement for that. I know that the behaviour of the front guys is in most circumstances very good, if a light goes red, everybody stops. I've found this summer more than any before that most of the good bunch rides have been taken over by muppets. Bring on winter.
Yeah it would be cool if you could find other blokes half serious say 15/20/25 and organise similar smash fests. Maybe they do and I just dont know about it lol

If you could grab the first 25 on the hell ride as your 'training bunch' it would be handy!

muppet eater said:
I race regularly. I find the Hell Ride an important part of my race training. There's no other ride that gives me the intensity that it does. Interval training by smashing off the front with incomplete recovery periods when I get caught for 100km. It's hard to find a replacement for that. I know.
I know what ya mean; I sometimes do similar on the Tuesday night ride, and it's tough to get a similar workout on your own

I'm going out now. Who wants to come and smash me? :)

531Aussie said:
I know what ya mean; I sometimes do similar on the Tuesday night ride, and it's tough to get a similar workout on your own

I'm going out now. Who wants to come and smash me? :)
I went this morning for a few hours...****** rain lol! Loved it.

muppet eater said:
Hey you just don't have the right training buddies!!

Me + 3 others
Kinglake and surrounds for 7 hours. Forget the hell ride!:D

But seriously it is hard to get that intensity without a bunch like that but the problem is all the 'muppets' wanna tag along. Whenever I'm on the hell ride, it's straight to the front, the back is where the idiocy takes place.