Hell Ride Solution - simple!

Stomper

Guest
The problems associated with the Hell Ride are well documented and one
would argue that the recent tragety could have been predicted.

To me the solution is either...

Manage the Hell Ride with adequate supervision and control

OR

Police the hell out of it to ensure traffic lights are adhered to

OR

Have a lead car fitted with this technology to allow the pack
uninterupted cycling......

http://www.themirt.com/

Karl aka Stomper

Stomper wrote:

> Have a lead car fitted with this technology to allow the pack
> uninterupted cycling......
>

> http://www.themirt.com/

me wonders why that needs to be fitted to a lead car since it operates
from 4,000', a few fitted to bicycles should be fine.

me also wonders who the suckers are that would buy this sort of thing {:)

Don't emergency service vehicles already have a similiar device? (Or was that just for the Comms Games? :p )

cfsmtb wrote:
> Don't emergency service vehicles already have a similiar device? (Or was
> that just for the Comms Games? :p )

Tell me, which would you deploy

1) a set of traffic lights with a sensor that any ********
criminal, monied, annachist, etc ) could activate to get a green, or
conversely give someone else a red light, or

2) a integrated set of lights that can all be controlled from a central
command centre (which already exists) and simply requires ambulance to
be fitted with a gps/gsm tracking device and the ability to flick a
switch that says "emergency - unfettered path to hospital required"
which little man at control centre responds to and sets the lights?

Stomper wrote:
> Have a lead car fitted with this technology to allow the pack
> uninterupted cycling......
>
> http://www.themirt.com/

The vast majority of places which have traffic lights which are
affected by MIRTs have made their use illegal except by emergency
vehicles. They're also fairly easy to detect if the lights have cameras
on them (not the enforcement ones, just the traffic observation type)
as they emit infrared which shows up as a nice bright light on the
screen.

Legalities aside, why should cyclists (or any other road users) have
the ability to disrupt traffic flow purely for their own convenience?

Graeme

"Terryc" wrote:
> cfsmtb wrote:
>> Don't emergency service vehicles already have a similiar device? (Or was
>> that just for the Comms Games? :p )

> Tell me, which would you deploy
>
> 1) a set of traffic lights with a sensor that any ********
> criminal, monied, annachist, etc ) could activate to get a green, or
> conversely give someone else a red light, or
>
> 2) a integrated set of lights that can all be controlled from a central
> command centre (which already exists) and simply requires ambulance to
> be fitted with a gps/gsm tracking device and the ability to flick a
> switch that says "emergency - unfettered path to hospital required"
> which little man at control centre responds to and sets the lights?

Would think that traffic lights equipped with a sensor system that requires
an encripted code to activate (code specific to emergency services) would be
the best way to go. The little man might be on his coffee break, or napping,
when the call goes out.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Peter Signorini wrote:

> "Terryc" wrote:
>> cfsmtb wrote:
>>> Don't emergency service vehicles already have a similiar device? (Or was
>>> that just for the Comms Games? :p )

>> Tell me, which would you deploy
>>
>> 1) a set of traffic lights with a sensor that any ********
>> criminal, monied, annachist, etc ) could activate to get a green, or
>> conversely give someone else a red light, or
>>
>> 2) a integrated set of lights that can all be controlled from a central
>> command centre (which already exists) and simply requires ambulance to
>> be fitted with a gps/gsm tracking device and the ability to flick a
>> switch that says "emergency - unfettered path to hospital required"
>> which little man at control centre responds to and sets the lights?

> Would think that traffic lights equipped with a sensor system that
> requires an encripted code to activate (code specific to emergency
> services) would be the best way to go. The little man might be on his
> coffee break, or napping, when the call goes out.

When my dad worked for Vic Roads he often had to escort large loads through
the city in the wee small hours of the morning. I went one morning and it
was really cool the way they would radio the traffic control centre and
"request a green". The next lights would change immediately to green and
stay green until we had cleared the intersection regardless of how long it
took. Often in the city the control centre would simply watch on the
traffic cameras and change the traffic lights when they saw us approaching
the intersection. I assume it must be manned 24/7.