Hell Ride

Hitchy

New Member
Jan 26, 2004
1,876
G'day,

A mate has recently taken posession of his new 'Madone' & is keen to take on this weeks 'Hell Ride' on it. (he's a semi regular). (Stupidly), i've allowed myself to be talked into going with him.(I've never done it). Whilst I've done plenty of bunch riding, I've never ridden with a bunch quite as large as this! (& as quick). Anyone have some tips for me as to how not to **** anybody (I'm thinking of the 'guns'!), off & how to have an enjoyable time myself. My mate reckons my fitness level etc, will be borderline as to whether i can hang on....any tips would be great!,

cheers,

Hitchy

Originally posted by Hitchy
G'day,

A mate has recently taken posession of his new 'Madone' & is keen to take on this weeks 'Hell Ride' on it. (he's a semi regular). (Stupidly), i've allowed myself to be talked into going with him.(I've never done it). Whilst I've done plenty of bunch riding, I've never ridden with a bunch quite as large as this! (& as quick). Anyone have some tips for me as to how not to **** anybody (I'm thinking of the 'guns'!), off & how to have an enjoyable time myself. My mate reckons my fitness level etc, will be borderline as to whether i can hang on....any tips would be great!,

cheers,

Hitchy

The only tip I can give is to always make sure you're on someone's wheel. You'll find that if you're at the back, the bunch will often have surges of speed followed by recovery. If you're off the back of the bunch when a surge happens, you may find yourself being spat out the back, never to see the bunch again (until they come back that is).

Of course, they best way to avoid that is to stay closer to the front of the bunch (I always find myself at the back for some reason).

...and be ready for the inevitable split-second decision when the front half get thru the red light and the back half hesitate and get left behind.
Or just ride thru it anyway, thus earning their rep

Try and stick on your mates' whell if you are used to doing so
reading body language and knowing what he is likely to do in troubled-times makes a big difference.
sitting on a whell of someone who loves ridng the brakes and changing gears constantly can do your head in and raise your bpm higher than any hill can

know where the sprints are and aim to get back on at OliversHill or the following longer hill (Humphries from memory)

What time and where for the hell ride? I've never been able to catch it.

"jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hitchy wrote:
> > G'day, A mate has recently taken posession of his new 'Madone' & is keen to take on this weeks
> > 'Hell Ride' on it. (he's a semi regular). (Stupidly), i've allowed myself to be talked into
> > going with him.(I've never done it). Whilst I've done plenty of bunch riding, I've never
> > ridden with a bunch quite as large as this! (& as quick). Anyone have some tips for me as to
> > how not to **** anybody (I'm thinking of the 'guns'!), off & how to have an enjoyable time
> > myself. My mate reckons my fitness level etc, will be borderline as to whether i can hang
> > on....any tips would be great!, cheers, Hitchy
>

> The only tip I can give is to always make sure you're on someone's wheel. You'll find that if
> you're at the back, the bunch will often have surges of speed followed by recovery. If you're off
> the back of the bunch when a surge happens, you may find yourself being spat out the back, never
> to see the bunch again (until they come back that is).
>
> Of course, they best way to avoid that is to stay closer to the front of the bunch (I always find
> myself at the back for some reason).
>

> --

Originally posted by Vince Ficarra
What time and where for the hell ride? I've never been able to catch it.

G'day Vince,

The 'hell ride' is saturday mornings from the Clock tower at Black Rock (on beach rd or whatever its called there)....outside Le knicks...leaves at 7am ish (be early so I'm told).........they draw anything up to several hundred riders...should be good if I can hold on, (they go REAL hard...hence the name, I take it)...see you there!

cheers,

Hitchy

Hitchy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> G'day,
>
> A mate has recently taken posession of his new 'Madone' & is keen to take on this weeks 'Hell
> Ride' on it. (he's a semi regular). (Stupidly), i've allowed myself to be talked into going with
> him.(I've never done it). Whilst I've done plenty of bunch riding, I've never ridden with a bunch
> quite as large as this! (& as quick). Anyone have some tips for me as to how not to **** anybody
> (I'm thinking of the 'guns'!), off & how to have an enjoyable time myself. My mate reckons my
> fitness level etc, will be borderline as to whether i can hang on....any tips would be great!,

How bout give it a miss and take the Madone up into the hills where it belongs ?

[
How bout give it a miss and take the Madone up into the hills where it belongs ? [/B][/QUOTE]

G'day,

you're not wrong...I lifted the bloody thing up!!!!...He reckons it weighs 6.9kgs,

cheers,

Hitchy

"Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:E39%[email protected]...
>>rickster: [ How bout give it a miss and take the Madone up into the hills where it belongs ?
>
> you're not wrong...I lifted the bloody thing up!!!!...He reckons it weighs 6.9kgs,

Only 0.1kg above the UCI minimum weight limit of 6.8kgs... He'd better hope that nothing falls off
it during a race! :)

hippy

[Only 0.1kg above the UCI minimum weight limit of 6.8kgs... He'd better hope that nothing falls off
it during a race! :)

hippy [/B][/QUOTE]

G'day hippy,

I had heard that the UCI had a minimum weight requirement, (without actually knowing what it was).....didn't I read something about the Saeco boys having to ADD weight to the cannondales they were riding in some stages of the TDF last year?.....anyway, in the latest 'Ride" mag.....theres a report on some overseas bike show (don't recall which one). Scott had a bike that came in at 4.8 something or other kgs......apart from being lighter than my left leg....why bother?....I don't get it,

cheers,

Hitchy

[
Only 0.1kg above the UCI minimum weight limit of 6.8kgs... He'd better hope that nothing falls off
it during a race! :)

hippy [/B][/QUOTE]

G'day Hippy,

I had heard something about a UCI minimum weight requirement, (without actually knowing what it was). Didn't I read somewhere that the Saeco boys had to ADD weight to the 'dales on some of the stages of the TDF last year?. In the latest 'Ride' mag, theres a report on some O/S bike show (can't remember where). They had a'Scott' on show that weighed 4.8 something KG....whats the point of that?...apart from being lighter than my left leg?....would this bike have rider weight limits? (ie: you need be under 40kgs to ride it?),

cheers,

Confused Hitchy

Originally posted by Hitchy
They had a'Scott' on show that weighed 4.8 something KG
That Scott CR1 Pro Team bike passed the rigorous testing done by the German Engineering for Bikes company so it must be strong!
www.efbe.de

"Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:3pb%[email protected]...
> I had heard that the UCI had a minimum weight requirement, (without actually knowing what it
> was).....didn't I read something about the Saeco boys having to ADD weight to the cannondales
> they were riding in some stages of the TDF last year?.....anyway, in the latest 'Ride"
> mag.....theres a report on some overseas bike show (don't recall which one). Scott had a bike
> that came in at 4.8 something or other kgs......apart from being lighter than my left leg....why
> bother?....I don't get it,

This article says it all: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2001/10lb_bike.shtml (Richard Bryne from
Speedplay with his 4.8kg bike)

"Keith Bontrager once worked out that one percent off the total weight of bike and rider was worth
52 feet per mile on a climb, assuming constant power output. For a 65kg rider, Bryne's bike lops
off 2.7 per cent compared to a UCI bike. On the 8.5 mile climb of the Alpe d'Huez, that's an
advantage of over 1,100ft, or about 48 seconds (at 15mph). No wonder there's a push to reduce the
weight limit."

48 seconds is HUGE at elite level racing in just about anything.

hippy

Scott had a bike that came in at 4.8 something or other kgs......apart from being lighter than my left leg....why bother?....I don't get it,
[/B]

actually your leg (either) is probably closer to 20kgsjavascript:smilie(':D')

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:23:07 GMT, "hippy"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:3pb%[email protected]...
>> I had heard that the UCI had a minimum weight requirement, (without actually knowing what it
>> was).....didn't I read something about the Saeco boys having to ADD weight to the cannondales
>> they were riding in some stages of the TDF last year?.....anyway, in the latest 'Ride"
>> mag.....theres a report on some overseas bike show (don't recall which one). Scott had a bike
>> that came in at 4.8 something or other kgs......apart from being lighter than my left leg....why
>> bother?....I don't get it,
>
>This article says it all: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2001/10lb_bike.shtml (Richard Bryne from
>Speedplay with his 4.8kg bike)
>
>"Keith Bontrager once worked out that one percent off the total weight of bike and rider was worth
>52 feet per mile on a climb, assuming constant power output. For a 65kg rider, Bryne's bike lops
>off 2.7 per cent compared to a UCI bike. On the 8.5 mile climb of the Alpe d'Huez, that's an
>advantage of over 1,100ft, or about 48 seconds (at 15mph). No wonder there's a push to reduce the
>weight limit."
>
>48 seconds is HUGE at elite level racing in just about anything.

But, is it safe to ride down the other side?

--
Regards. Richard.

"Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >"Keith Bontrager once worked out that one percent off the total weight of bike and rider was
> >worth 52 feet per mile on a climb, assuming constant power output. For a 65kg rider, Bryne's bike
> >lops off 2.7 per cent compared to a UCI bike. On the 8.5 mile climb of the Alpe d'Huez, that's an
> >advantage of over 1,100ft, or about 48 seconds (at 15mph). No wonder there's a push to reduce the
> >weight limit."
> >
> >48 seconds is HUGE at elite level racing in just about anything.
>
> But, is it safe to ride down the other side?

Not if _I_ was the one sitting on it, that's for sure!!

hippy

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=21
>
> Where are the shifters? Unusual shape bars too.

If you look closely, you can see the shifters mounted to the headtube. They look like downtube
shifters. "Campag Record (optimised) 18grams". I assume optimised means they've taken to them with
a drill...

Note also: the one-piece carbon saddle and seatpost.

Remove the decals for a 2.5 gram saving.

What I don't understand, is, if they wanted to make the lightest bike in the world, why the hell
didn't they rip all the gears off it?! Lose 1 chainring, lose 6 rear cogs and large freewheel body,
lose derrailers, lose shifters, lose gear cable, lose extra links in the chain, lose the ability to
climb Ventoux, etc. ;-)

SINGLESPEED!! The REAL lightest bike in the world. (make it fixed and you can take the girly brakes
off it too!)

hippy