Hell Ride

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Hitchy, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Hitchy

    Hitchy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,876
    G'day,

    A mate has recently taken posession of his new 'Madone' & is keen to take on this weeks 'Hell Ride' on it. (he's a semi regular). (Stupidly), i've allowed myself to be talked into going with him.(I've never done it). Whilst I've done plenty of bunch riding, I've never ridden with a bunch quite as large as this! (& as quick). Anyone have some tips for me as to how not to piss anybody (I'm thinking of the 'guns'!), off & how to have an enjoyable time myself. My mate reckons my fitness level etc, will be borderline as to whether i can hang on....any tips would be great!,

    cheers,

    Hitchy

    Tags:

  2. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    The only tip I can give is to always make sure you're on someone's wheel. You'll find that if you're at the back, the bunch will often have surges of speed followed by recovery. If you're off the back of the bunch when a surge happens, you may find yourself being spat out the back, never to see the bunch again (until they come back that is).

    Of course, they best way to avoid that is to stay closer to the front of the bunch (I always find myself at the back for some reason).

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    ...and be ready for the inevitable split-second decision when the front half get thru the red light and the back half hesitate and get left behind.
    Or just ride thru it anyway, thus earning their rep

    Try and stick on your mates' whell if you are used to doing so
    reading body language and knowing what he is likely to do in troubled-times makes a big difference.
    sitting on a whell of someone who loves ridng the brakes and changing gears constantly can do your head in and raise your bpm higher than any hill can

    know where the sprints are and aim to get back on at OliversHill or the following longer hill (Humphries from memory)

  4. What time and where for the hell ride? I've never been able to catch it.

    "jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Hitchy wrote:
    > > G'day, A mate has recently taken posession of his new 'Madone' & is keen to take on this weeks
    > > 'Hell Ride' on it. (he's a semi regular). (Stupidly), i've allowed myself to be talked into
    > > going with him.(I've never done it). Whilst I've done plenty of bunch riding, I've never
    > > ridden with a bunch quite as large as this! (& as quick). Anyone have some tips for me as to
    > > how not to piss anybody (I'm thinking of the 'guns'!), off & how to have an enjoyable time
    > > myself. My mate reckons my fitness level etc, will be borderline as to whether i can hang
    > > on....any tips would be great!, cheers, Hitchy
    >

    > The only tip I can give is to always make sure you're on someone's wheel. You'll find that if
    > you're at the back, the bunch will often have surges of speed followed by recovery. If you're off
    > the back of the bunch when a surge happens, you may find yourself being spat out the back, never
    > to see the bunch again (until they come back that is).
    >
    > Of course, they best way to avoid that is to stay closer to the front of the bunch (I always find
    > myself at the back for some reason).
    >

    > --

  5. Hitchy

    Hitchy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,876

  6. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

  7. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Actually, it "only" goes to Mt Eliza and does a loop through the Mt Eliza shopping village and back to Black Rock.

    Later.

  8. Rickster

    Rickster Guest

    Hitchy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > G'day,
    >
    > A mate has recently taken posession of his new 'Madone' & is keen to take on this weeks 'Hell
    > Ride' on it. (he's a semi regular). (Stupidly), i've allowed myself to be talked into going with
    > him.(I've never done it). Whilst I've done plenty of bunch riding, I've never ridden with a bunch
    > quite as large as this! (& as quick). Anyone have some tips for me as to how not to piss anybody
    > (I'm thinking of the 'guns'!), off & how to have an enjoyable time myself. My mate reckons my
    > fitness level etc, will be borderline as to whether i can hang on....any tips would be great!,

    How bout give it a miss and take the Madone up into the hills where it belongs ?

  9. Hitchy

    Hitchy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,876
    [
    How bout give it a miss and take the Madone up into the hills where it belongs ? [/B][/QUOTE]

    G'day,

    you're not wrong...I lifted the bloody thing up!!!!...He reckons it weighs 6.9kgs,

    cheers,

    Hitchy

  10. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:E39%[email protected]...
    >>rickster: [ How bout give it a miss and take the Madone up into the hills where it belongs ?
    >
    > you're not wrong...I lifted the bloody thing up!!!!...He reckons it weighs 6.9kgs,

    Only 0.1kg above the UCI minimum weight limit of 6.8kgs... He'd better hope that nothing falls off
    it during a race! :)

    hippy

  11. Hitchy

    Hitchy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,876
    [Only 0.1kg above the UCI minimum weight limit of 6.8kgs... He'd better hope that nothing falls off
    it during a race! :)

    hippy [/B][/QUOTE]

    G'day hippy,

    I had heard that the UCI had a minimum weight requirement, (without actually knowing what it was).....didn't I read something about the Saeco boys having to ADD weight to the cannondales they were riding in some stages of the TDF last year?.....anyway, in the latest 'Ride" mag.....theres a report on some overseas bike show (don't recall which one). Scott had a bike that came in at 4.8 something or other kgs......apart from being lighter than my left leg....why bother?....I don't get it,

    cheers,

    Hitchy

  12. Hitchy

    Hitchy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,876
    [
    Only 0.1kg above the UCI minimum weight limit of 6.8kgs... He'd better hope that nothing falls off
    it during a race! :)

    hippy [/B][/QUOTE]

    G'day Hippy,

    I had heard something about a UCI minimum weight requirement, (without actually knowing what it was). Didn't I read somewhere that the Saeco boys had to ADD weight to the 'dales on some of the stages of the TDF last year?. In the latest 'Ride' mag, theres a report on some O/S bike show (can't remember where). They had a'Scott' on show that weighed 4.8 something KG....whats the point of that?...apart from being lighter than my left leg?....would this bike have rider weight limits? (ie: you need be under 40kgs to ride it?),

    cheers,

    Confused Hitchy

  13. patch70

    patch70 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2003
    Messages:
    1,682
    That Scott CR1 Pro Team bike passed the rigorous testing done by the German Engineering for Bikes company so it must be strong!
    www.efbe.de

  14. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:3pb%[email protected]...
    > I had heard that the UCI had a minimum weight requirement, (without actually knowing what it
    > was).....didn't I read something about the Saeco boys having to ADD weight to the cannondales
    > they were riding in some stages of the TDF last year?.....anyway, in the latest 'Ride"
    > mag.....theres a report on some overseas bike show (don't recall which one). Scott had a bike
    > that came in at 4.8 something or other kgs......apart from being lighter than my left leg....why
    > bother?....I don't get it,

    This article says it all: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2001/10lb_bike.shtml (Richard Bryne from
    Speedplay with his 4.8kg bike)

    "Keith Bontrager once worked out that one percent off the total weight of bike and rider was worth
    52 feet per mile on a climb, assuming constant power output. For a 65kg rider, Bryne's bike lops
    off 2.7 per cent compared to a UCI bike. On the 8.5 mile climb of the Alpe d'Huez, that's an
    advantage of over 1,100ft, or about 48 seconds (at 15mph). No wonder there's a push to reduce the
    weight limit."

    48 seconds is HUGE at elite level racing in just about anything.

    hippy

  15. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

  16. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Andrew Swan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hitchy wrote: <snip>
    >> Scott had a bike that came in at 4.8 something or other

    > Check out this one at 4.1669 kg:

    > http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=21

    > I'm off to the garage to fire up the Black & Decker - gonna drill me some holes!

    > &roo

    Where are the shifters? Unusual shape bars too.

    --
    Nick

  17. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003

    actually your leg (either) is probably closer to 20kgsjavascript:smilie(':D')

  18. On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:23:07 GMT, "hippy"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:3pb%[email protected]...
    >> I had heard that the UCI had a minimum weight requirement, (without actually knowing what it
    >> was).....didn't I read something about the Saeco boys having to ADD weight to the cannondales
    >> they were riding in some stages of the TDF last year?.....anyway, in the latest 'Ride"
    >> mag.....theres a report on some overseas bike show (don't recall which one). Scott had a bike
    >> that came in at 4.8 something or other kgs......apart from being lighter than my left leg....why
    >> bother?....I don't get it,
    >
    >This article says it all: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2001/10lb_bike.shtml (Richard Bryne from
    >Speedplay with his 4.8kg bike)
    >
    >"Keith Bontrager once worked out that one percent off the total weight of bike and rider was worth
    >52 feet per mile on a climb, assuming constant power output. For a 65kg rider, Bryne's bike lops
    >off 2.7 per cent compared to a UCI bike. On the 8.5 mile climb of the Alpe d'Huez, that's an
    >advantage of over 1,100ft, or about 48 seconds (at 15mph). No wonder there's a push to reduce the
    >weight limit."
    >
    >48 seconds is HUGE at elite level racing in just about anything.

    But, is it safe to ride down the other side?

    --
    Regards. Richard.

  19. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >"Keith Bontrager once worked out that one percent off the total weight of bike and rider was
    > >worth 52 feet per mile on a climb, assuming constant power output. For a 65kg rider, Bryne's bike
    > >lops off 2.7 per cent compared to a UCI bike. On the 8.5 mile climb of the Alpe d'Huez, that's an
    > >advantage of over 1,100ft, or about 48 seconds (at 15mph). No wonder there's a push to reduce the
    > >weight limit."
    > >
    > >48 seconds is HUGE at elite level racing in just about anything.
    >
    > But, is it safe to ride down the other side?

    Not if _I_ was the one sitting on it, that's for sure!!

    hippy

  20. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=21
    >
    > Where are the shifters? Unusual shape bars too.

    If you look closely, you can see the shifters mounted to the headtube. They look like downtube
    shifters. "Campag Record (optimised) 18grams". I assume optimised means they've taken to them with
    a drill...

    Note also: the one-piece carbon saddle and seatpost.

    Remove the decals for a 2.5 gram saving.

    What I don't understand, is, if they wanted to make the lightest bike in the world, why the hell
    didn't they rip all the gears off it?! Lose 1 chainring, lose 6 rear cogs and large freewheel body,
    lose derrailers, lose shifters, lose gear cable, lose extra links in the chain, lose the ability to
    climb Ventoux, etc. ;-)

    SINGLESPEED!! The REAL lightest bike in the world. (make it fixed and you can take the girly brakes
    off it too!)

    hippy