Hell Ride

g'day All,

I thought i'd give you an update on 'Hitchy's 1st Hell ride'. Surfice to say,I know why its so named now!.....madoneman & I parked at Pt melb & rode the 20 odd Ks to blackrock as a warmup at a leisurely pace arriving with about 5mins to spare. The channel 7 chopper hovering overhead provided much comment, (& followed the whole length of the ride)......wonder what they were up to...hopefully not another negative 'cyclists running red lights story'...also hope they aren't lumping us in with those 'critical mass' morons...anyway......my mate tells me the numbers are down today, maybe only a 100 or so. Talk about pose bike city.....hitchy feeling very intimidated & wondering if he should get a new bike before attempting this again (lol).... 7am.....I dunno who decides when to go here, but magically everyone just GOES....And go they do, hitchy's up the front, thats not the plan, gotta make my way back to about half way, gotta suck wheel, the only way I'll hold on....speedo 48kms an hour...how long will they hold this ?...HR 170 after 5 mins ...hold that wheel, hold that wheel....bugger, they're surging...50..51..52...60 HR 182 (on a 186 max....hitchy's blown...lost the wheel, gotta hold on, cadence 120....anyone got some Oxygen?......the train is passing, surely they can't hold this pace for long....48.6 & hitchys off the back.....a half hearted chase...flashing tail lights disappearing into the distance......You got me this time ......but I'll be back! (said with austrian accent!),

cheers

Hitchy

i thought the hell ride went left up Humphries Road???

Mt Eliza Shops means a right hand turn across 6 lanes

fun ride but just a tad too many overly agro (read lacking in certain 'down-there' tube-sizing!) riders for me. Every time you get one of these guys on their own they go very quiet and suck wheel and flail on a hill...

news:%Tb%[email protected]...
> assuming constant power output. For a 65kg rider, Bryne's bike lops off 2.7 per cent compared to a
> UCI bike. On the 8.5 mile climb of the Alpe d'Huez, that's an advantage of over 1,100ft, or about
> 48 seconds (at 15mph). No wonder there's a push to reduce the weight limit."
>
> 48 seconds is HUGE at elite level racing in just about anything.

Well yes, but that's the sort of thing Lance did after his cancer treatment. But he didn't just lose
1%, he lost 15kgs (about 20%) and trained like hell for the climbs. One or two kgs of the bike is
silly if you've got 15 kgs to lose off your body.

Cheers Peter

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > 48 seconds is HUGE at elite level racing in just about anything.
>
> Well yes, but that's the sort of thing Lance did after his cancer
treatment.
> But he didn't just lose 1%, he lost 15kgs (about 20%) and trained like
hell
> for the climbs. One or two kgs of the bike is silly if you've got 15
kgs to
> lose off your body.

Hmm.. cancer or lighter bike?, cancer or lighter bike? hmm...

Sorry, just taking the piece. Obviously, I would get a much bigger performance boost if I dropped
body fat compared to shaving a few grams/kilos off my bike. Not only would the whole "unit" be
lighter, but I'd have less 'human' to take care of, ie. less useless tissue to have blood pumped to.
Also, making bikes lighter often makes them less efficient for power transfer (flex) and more prone
to failure. Ahh, but how easy is it to spend big on a bike compared to losing weight! ;-)

hippy

stop suggesting such irrational practices as
not spending money on bicycles, Hippy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I have lost 10kgs over the last 12months (that's a whole bike!!!) and spent $1600 on the bike, and yes, Im faster but I still salivate like a dog near a lampost everytime I pass a bikeshop

Oh why-o-why did i get into this advertising/design folly and not starttup a bikeshop

(probably cos every shop owner/worker I have met never gets to ride, me thinks!)

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> stop suggesting such irrational practices as not spending money on bicycles, Hippy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;-) To make you feel better, I just ordered a new rear wheel for my road bike and new bearings for
my existing wheel.

> Hey, I have lost 10kgs over the last 12months (that's a whole bike!!!) and spent $1600 on the
> bike, and yes, Im faster but I still salivate like a dog near a lampost everytime I pass a
> bikeshop

Join the club! I purged two bikes and now my list of 'must have' bikes has grown by four! Damn those
people that post links to On-One's and the like! Damn cyclingnews and their links to the pro peloton
bikes.. Now couldn't you just take one from each team and ride a new machine every day!!!! :-D

> Oh why-o-why did i get into this advertising/design folly and not starttup a bikeshop

I thought about that too.. for me, it's simple... I just don't like working on bikes! :)

> (probably cos every shop owner/worker I have met never gets to ride, me thinks!)

My LBSG seems to have a fair chunk of time to fill with fun stuff... riding especially. Can I smell
a career change? ;-)

hippy

funny you should mention that. got an interview at BV shortly...

still the bikeshop concept would be better.
2 shop-fronts. One a bike shop. very deep with every imageinable form of 2 wheeled cycle
and the other a coffee shop full of big comfy couchs and bikemags

and perhaps a third with that 'wassupdawg' with his paintjob business next door...