Hello all, I'm new here.

JulianL

Aug 4, 2005
I haven't been riding much in the past 3-4 years (since the birth of my first son) so I'm a few lbs overweight (15-20lbs, not obese or anything). Anyway, I have an early 90s model Univega with Suntour Superbe Pro group. The tires are only a few years old and the bike is in excellent condition. Anyway, I'm thinking of having it tuned up and riding it or possibly buying a new bike.

The Univega has a steel frame and isn't overly heavy (probably 23lbs) and the bike fits me well and is very sturdy but it isn't my ideal bike. I used to have a 1970s Motobecane Le Champion with all Campy components and that bike was much more responsive. I loved that bike but unfortunately it was stolen. The Univega was a compromise because I didn't want a cheap entry level bike but I couldn't afford a top of the line new bike at the time.

Anyway, I plan on using this bike for some commuting and to get fit on. I'm leaning towards riding the Univega for a while and then thinking of upgrading.

Guess I've already made up my mind. :D

Does anyone else ride old school bikes like this? Any opinions on this bike?

Welcome Julian.

Ride the snot out of that old Univega. In time you might want to consider upgrading. For commuting and general fitness rides it should be fine. If you get the bug and want to move up, we'll talk then. Hang out in the forum and you're bound to pick up lots of useful bits of knowledge such as the catch phrase "nosepicking carpet smoking monekys...".

capwater said:
In time you might want to consider upgrading. For commuting and general fitness rides it should be fine. If you get the bug and want to move up, we'll talk then.
You meant when he gets the bug, right? :)

JulianL said:
I haven't been riding much in the past 3-4 years (since the birth of my first son) so I'm a few lbs overweight (15-20lbs, not obese or anything). Anyway, I have an early 90s model Univega with Suntour Superbe Pro group. The tires are only a few years old and the bike is in excellent condition. Anyway, I'm thinking of having it tuned up and riding it or possibly buying a new bike.

The Univega has a steel frame and isn't overly heavy (probably 23lbs) and the bike fits me well and is very sturdy but it isn't my ideal bike. I used to have a 1970s Motobecane Le Champion with all Campy components and that bike was much more responsive. I loved that bike but unfortunately it was stolen. The Univega was a compromise because I didn't want a cheap entry level bike but I couldn't afford a top of the line new bike at the time.

Anyway, I plan on using this bike for some commuting and to get fit on. I'm leaning towards riding the Univega for a while and then thinking of upgrading.

Guess I've already made up my mind. :D

Does anyone else ride old school bikes like this? Any opinions on this bike?

Old school bikes that were once good are still good. Though they may lack the lightness and technological advances of their modern brethren. I would ride the Univega and if you stay hooked, make the upgrade and keep the they old bike as a commuter and beat around bike for bad weather.

I use a 22 year old Trek as a commuter and it is great.