Hello, and about me.

nickesp

New Member
Feb 18, 2004
Gday,

My name is Nick, and I am starting to get into cycling. I have been cycling to work for a few months, but recently bought a Giant OCR3 and some clipless pedals and I want to improve. I currently ride twelve kays to work and 12 back and on every second day I throw in a 25km ride. At this stage, I just really like riding the bike, and I have no intentions of competing. I am 28 and have never competed before, and I am not sure of which class of racing I'd fit into anyway!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the OCR3? I love it!

Nick.

Nick:

Welcome aboard! It looks you have had a good start. You enjoy riding, and that's the best. As the time pass, your fitness and taste will further develop, and you might even like to make further moves later on to enhance your enjoyment.

OCR3 is a good choice. You can always change it if your demands exceed its capabilities. And if not, it's a fine bike. I haven't owned one, but I say it based on its components and the fact that it's a Giant.

Being a part of this community (I'm relatively new, too), does not call for owning any particular piece of equipment. People happily exchange ideas and experience here. That's why I love it, and try to visit it every day.

Happy Pedalling!
Amir.

Originally posted by nickesp
[...]

G'day Nick,

welcome to the world of cycling....I am sure your LBS (local bike shop) hopes you become as obsessed with it as the rest of us!........

The giant OCR3 is a good value for money, entry level road bike, which will provide you with years of trouble free comuting & riding etc. As you get further into cycling you will probably want to upgrade some components, if not the whole bike. Don't be in any hurry to hand over your hard earned on upgrades until you know what you want & what you're going to use it for. Keep riding & get some K's into those legs....hope to see you out on the road someday,

cheers,

Hitchy

"nickesp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My name is Nick, and I am starting to get into cycling. I have been cycling to work for a few
> months, but recently bought a Giant OCR3 and some clipless pedals and I want to improve. I
> currently ride twelve
kays
> to work and 12 back and on every second day I throw in a 25km ride. At this stage, I just really
> like riding the bike, and I have no
intentions
> of competing. I am 28 and have never competed before, and I am not
sure
> of which class of racing I'd fit into anyway!

Sounds like you are enjoying what you are doing now. You don't HAVE to race ;-) That being said, I
like racing - but I've always been a competitive sod. If you want to get into it, the best thing to
do is contact your nearest club. Where are you?

If you want to mix it up a bit, try some hills, try some time trial rides where you have a known
circuit or distance that you try to do as fast as possible. Race other people on cycle-friendly
roads (i.e Beach Rd. in Melbourne), learn to trackstand, buy another bike, but make this one a POS
and use it to ride to the shops instead of driving, join a BUG, try cycle touring, conquer the
biggest hill you know, ride in the rain, ride at night (with lights!).. basically have fun :)

As for the OCR - I've 0.00% experience with them.

hippy

I found the bike reviews on the web heped me to choose my two bikes in December 2003 (road and MTB,
both Trek)

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviewscrx.aspx

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/

Giant OCR-models (1,2,3) all score very well there, check the 2003 reviews and 2004 reviews. Trek
1000 also scored well (OCR-3 alternative).

cheers

"nickesp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gday,
>
> My name is Nick, and I am starting to get into cycling. I have been cycling to work for a few
> months, but recently bought a Giant OCR3 and some clipless pedals and I want to improve. I
> currently ride twelve kays to work and 12 back and on every second day I throw in a 25km ride. At
> this stage, I just really like riding the bike, and I have no intentions of competing. I am 28 and
> have never competed before, and I am not sure of which class of racing I'd fit into anyway!
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on the OCR3? I love it!
>

> Nick.
>

> --

Hippy:

As I was reading the string of your recommendations, they got more and more exciting (and in a way eccentric) as they followed one another. LOL. I wish there was some way that text could show the crescendo in the spirit of this text.

Of course, the very last statement (about OCR) killed the thrill, just like a bad ending to a horror movie. Was a fun post :)

Originally posted by Hippy
"nickesp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My name is Nick, and I am starting to get into cycling. I have been cycling to work for a few
> months, but recently bought a Giant OCR3 and some clipless pedals and I want to improve. I
> currently ride twelve
kays
> to work and 12 back and on every second day I throw in a 25km ride. At this stage, I just really
> like riding the bike, and I have no
intentions
> of competing. I am 28 and have never competed before, and I am not
sure
> of which class of racing I'd fit into anyway!

Sounds like you are enjoying what you are doing now. You don't HAVE to race ;-) That being said, I
like racing - but I've always been a competitive sod. If you want to get into it, the best thing to
do is contact your nearest club. Where are you?

If you want to mix it up a bit, try some hills, try some time trial rides where you have a known
circuit or distance that you try to do as fast as possible. Race other people on cycle-friendly
roads (i.e Beach Rd. in Melbourne), learn to trackstand, buy another bike, but make this one a POS
and use it to ride to the shops instead of driving, join a BUG, try cycle touring, conquer the
biggest hill you know, ride in the rain, ride at night (with lights!).. basically have fun :)

As for the OCR - I've 0.00% experience with them.

hippy

nickesp <[email protected]> wrote:
> Gday,

> My name is Nick, and I am starting to get into cycling. I have been cycling to work for a few
> months, but recently bought a Giant OCR3 and some clipless pedals and I want to improve. I
> currently ride twelve kays to work and 12 back and on every second day I throw in a 25km ride. At
> this stage, I just really like riding the bike, and I have no intentions of competing. I am 28 and
> have never competed before, and I am not sure of which class of racing I'd fit into anyway!

> Does anyone have any thoughts on the OCR3? I love it!

> Nick.

> --

<JOHNWAYNE> There ain't room in this ng for the two of us. </JOHNWAYNE>

Ahhh I remember the thrill of "new bike joy". In a few months hopefully I'll be doing the same.

Just ride and have a good time. Enjoy your better life :)

--
Nick

"amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As I was reading the string of your recommendations, they got more and more exciting (and in a way
> eccentric) as they followed one another. LOL. I wish there was some way that text could show the
> crescendo in
the
> spirit of this text.
>
> Of course, the very last statement (about OCR) killed the thrill, just like a bad ending to a
> horror movie. Was a fun post :)

hahaha lol! I didn't realise I was writing for mood.. If I had known this was an assessment piece I
would've put more effort into it :)

Most of what I type just spills forth without too much thought. Can I resubmit it without penalty?
Please, another chance sir, PLEASE!!

Sorry.. V.C.E. flashback.. too much acid on my cornflakes ;-)

hippy

amirm <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hippy wrote:
> > "nickesp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:dRaZb.- [email protected]:[email protected]
> > enetserver.com...
> > > My name is Nick, and I am starting to get into cycling. I have been cycling to work for a few
> > > months, but recently bought a Giant OCR3 and some clipless pedals and I want to improve. I
> > > currently ride twelve
> > kays
> > > to work and 12 back and on every second day I throw in a 25km ride. At this stage, I just
> > > really like riding the bike, and I have no
> > intentions
> > > of competing. I am 28 and have never competed before, and I am not
> > sure
> > > of which class of racing I'd fit into anyway!
> > Sounds like you are enjoying what you are doing now. You don't HAVE to race ;-) That being
> > said, I like racing - but I've always been a competitive sod. If you want to get into it, the
> > best thing to do is contact your nearest club. Where are you? If you want to mix it up a bit,
> > try some hills, try some time trial rides where you have a known circuit or distance that you
> > try to do as fast as possible. Race other people on cycle-friendly roads (i.e Beach Rd. in
> > Melbourne), learn to trackstand, buy another bike, but make this one a POS and use it to ride
> > to the shops instead of driving, join a BUG, try cycle touring, conquer the biggest hill you
> > know, ride in the rain, ride at night (with lights!).. basically have fun :) As for the OCR -
> > I've 0.00% experience with them. hippy

> Hippy:

> As I was reading the string of your recommendations, they got more and more exciting (and in a way
> eccentric) as they followed one another. LOL. I wish there was some way that text could show the
> crescendo in the spirit of this text.

> Of course, the very last statement (about OCR) killed the thrill, just like a bad ending to a
> horror movie. Was a fun post :)

> --

Good call!! :)

--
Nick (not the OP)

If you wrote so entertainingly so naturally, I want to see a well-planned one. Got to be good...

Maybe with the next occasion. :)

Originally posted by Hippy

hahaha lol! I didn't realise I was writing for mood.. If I had known this was an assessment piece I
would've put more effort into it :)

Most of what I type just spills forth without too much thought. Can I resubmit it without penalty?
Please, another chance sir, PLEASE!!

Sorry.. V.C.E. flashback.. too much acid on my cornflakes ;-)

hippy [/B]

Thanks for the comments, everyone,

I'm riding in the Leopold area, near Geelong. I like to ride up the Queenscliff highway and the Portarlington Rd/Hwy. Both have some nice hills and flat sections.

I'm going in a criterium soon(my first ever race!), so I should find out what sort of pace I need to get to I 'spose! Anyone is able to enter into this race and it's my girlfriend's uncle's event, so that's the reason I'm going into it!

When I feel I'm able to do about 60-70 k's a day, comfortably and at a good pace, I might approach the local bike club (Geelong West). Does that distance sound adequate for entry level racing?

Thanks again,

Nick.

nickesp wrote:
> When I feel I'm able to do about 60-70 k's a day, comfortably and at a good pace, I might approach
> the local bike club (Geelong West). Does that distance sound adequate for entry level racing?

At the risk of boring those who've heard me quote this advice before, don't put off getting into
racing because you think you're not fit/fast/slim/strong enough - just do it. You get all kinds at
club races, and the best way to get into shape for racing is by doing it, not forerver wondering
whether you're good enough to even start. This is the advice I was given and its wisdom has been
borne out by experience.

Hope this helps you and anyone else thinking about getting into this addictive sport!

Even if you don't want to start racing right away, join a club anyway so that you can go on their
training rides - this will help you build your bike handling skills (e.g. riding safely in a bunch)
in case that's what you need to do. Just be sure to let them know you're a learner and would
appreciate any tips or advice. And/or read this good article (which hopefully doesn't teach you how
to suck eggs):

http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/bunch%20riding.htm

HTH,

&roo

> When I feel I'm able to do about 60-70 k's a day, comfortably and at a good pace, I might approach
> the local bike club (Geelong West). Does that distance sound adequate for entry level racing?

60-70k's sounds like the average distance a D grade road race, maybe less. Crits end up much shorter
as you are only riding for 45min or so.

Remember that you will be "sitting on" the wheel of riders in front of you, i.e. you will generally
be racing in a bunch for most of the race - this saves heaps of energy because you don't have to
ride into the wind yourself - the riders in front push the wind away from you.

As Nike and Andrew say... "Just do it!"

hippy "three cheers for slipstreaming!"

hippy wrote:
> "three cheers for slipstreaming!"
Spoken like the wheel-sucking sprinter that you are (or I fondly imagine you to be)! :)

&roo

"Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> hippy wrote:
> > "three cheers for slipstreaming!"
> Spoken like the wheel-sucking sprinter that you are (or I fondly imagine you to be)! :)

hehe.. I laughed out loud at that! :)

But just to throw a spanner into your mental image of me.. I used to try to break away all the
time in D grade - I actually won my first race on a solo break... breaking from the start line no
less!! :)

C grade, at least at Glenvale, is much, much harder and in the two recent races I've done,
breakaways just don't seem to get very far at all.

Road season starts soon and the boys take their toys into the hills (girls too, but it doesn't
rhyme!). Poor I will have to get used to seeing skinny buggers ride away from me, instead of the
other way 'round. ;-)

hippy wheelie a sucker.

hippy wrote:
> Road season starts soon ...
Our annual club champs started today, with a hilly 43km ITT. I took a risk and rode the new bike,
fortunately it went without a hitch. One guy had less luck - he flatted, then ran 6km in his socks
until someone threw him a new tube.

The third best time overall was logged by a guy with one arm (avg ~39km/h). I didn't see him
climbing, but I reckon he must be able to spin with the best of them.

My time was good enough to finish third in the women's (had I been a woman but none of the other
guys were, if you follow me ... er ... better not).

The next event is a 2040m TT - one lap of our crit course! Talk about a change of pace...

> > Road season starts soon ...
> Our annual club champs started today, with a hilly 43km ITT. I took a risk and rode the new bike,
> fortunately it went without a hitch. One guy had less luck - he flatted, then ran 6km in his socks
> until someone threw him a new tube.

Ouch... so did he get a good time? :)

> The third best time overall was logged by a guy with one arm (avg ~39km/h). I didn't see him
> climbing, but I reckon he must be able to spin with the best of them.

Cool! That must be some hard work climbing.. I know I reef on the bars all the time when going "up".

> My time was good enough to finish third in the women's (had I been a woman but none of the other
> guys were, if you follow me ... er ... better not).

You're not a woman!! I'm crushed.. but with a name "Andrew'??? ;-)

> The next event is a 2040m TT - one lap of our crit course! Talk about a change of pace...

These sound like fun.. Our club champs are a 36k ITT over rolling hills (Steele's Creek) and a road
race at Gembrook and possibly the climb up the 1 in 20 ITT might also be part of the club champs?
I'll have to check the calendar. I might actually enter some road races in the hills this season..

hippy

hippy wrote:
> You're not a woman!! I'm crushed.. but with a name "Andrew'??? ;-)

Yeah, I know it's a bit of a girly name. Luckily I don't have long hair like a, I dunno, a hippy or
something.

> hippy wrote:
> > You're not a woman!! I'm crushed.. but with a name "Andrew'??? ;-)
>
> Yeah, I know it's a bit of a girly name. Luckily I don't have long
hair
> like a, I dunno, a hippy or something.

Andrew is not a girly name! I hope you don't think I was paying out more than your reference to not
being female. I thought it was pretty obvious you weren't going to win the _women's_ race with a
name like Andrew, and was paying you out for pointing _that_ out. ;-)

Onto the hair thing.. I think almost everyone I've met recently has said I should cut it - and now
it extends to online peeps! :) It's funny, because last time this happened, I reacted by growing it
down to my butt and not cutting it for 9 years or so.. Don't know if I could do that now - it's just
not aero enough ;-)

Warning! _Bike Content_ Warning! The two Johns at Blackburn's track sessions reckon I should give
racing a shot now. They think I ride ok in a bunch and can handle the bike well enough to at least
give racing a try.. Might head down to the velo on Saturday and see what happens.. just warning
anyone reading to avoid that race :)

hippy "crossage of fingers"

just ride, man

go where the others ride and watch and learn or just have fun

There will always be someone faster than you so dont get fazed by larger groups screaming past along Beach road

The more time you spend riding the better youre confidence, skills, not to mention legs will be

Just remember, its yours, this riding thing
and that's what p#@$es drivers off...

PS remember to look up occasionally too. the world can go by pretty fast sometimes on a road bike