Hello and New Bike (Guerciotti) all at once

tayvens

Feb 5, 2005
Hi I'm David from Perth Western Australia. (hope the photo attachment worked!). I got my new road bike last weekend. It's a Guerciotti Comete. Carbon tubes and alloy lugs. Campag Chorus. Ambrosio Laser-Pro wheels. Deda Newton bar and stem. Carbon post and Selle Italia carbonio SLR saddle. It is totally wonderful. Fast yet comfortable. (even the saddle which looks like something out of the Spanish inquisition actually suits my narrow bony @ss). It also has that elusive Italian coolness.

I had never heard of Guerciotti until I saw this bike in my LBS (BikeForce Subiaco). The Guerciotti brothers come from Milan and evidently have a good reputation for their cyclocross bikes. The tubes are made by Dedacciai (Black Soul for the main tubes and Blacktail race monobox for the rear triangle).

This bike is an upgrade from my old (heavy) Bianchi Alu frame bike.

Unlike some of the northern hemisphere new bike owners the good thing about Perth is it is summer so I can ride it every day (not that our winters are too much to complain about) and not have to wait for the snow to clear ;)

tayvens said:
Hi I'm David from Perth Western Australia. (hope the photo attachment worked!). I got my new road bike last weekend. It's a Guerciotti Comete. Carbon tubes and alloy lugs. Campag Chorus. Ambrosio Laser-Pro wheels. Deda Newton bar and stem. Carbon post and Selle Italia carbonio SLR saddle. It is totally wonderful. Fast yet comfortable. (even the saddle which looks like something out of the Spanish inquisition actually suits my narrow bony @ss). It also has that elusive Italian coolness.

I had never heard of Guerciotti until I saw this bike in my LBS (BikeForce Subiaco). The Guerciotti brothers come from Milan and evidently have a good reputation for their cyclocross bikes. The tubes are made by Dedacciai (Black Soul for the main tubes and Blacktail race monobox for the rear triangle).

Unlike some of the northern hemisphere new bike owners the good thing about Perth is it is summer so I can ride it every day (not that our winters are too much to complain about) and not have to wait for the snow to clear ;)

Welcome. Congrats on the bike too. I wish I could say the same about there being no snow on the ground. I look at the calendar and I count the days. :rolleyes:

tayvens said:

Guerciotti has been around for a number of years and they have always made a beautiful bike, just like yours. I will also be starting the '05 season with a new bike (Pinarello Opera with Campy Record group and Proton wheels) once all the snow in Boston finally melts. New bikes sure are fun. Enjoy and welcome!
Pete
:cool:

Wow....nice bike! I send you a welcome from snowy Canada, albeit one tinged green with envy...(for both the bike and your summer). :D

PeterF said:
Guerciotti has been around for a number of years and they have always made a beautiful bike, just like yours. I will also be starting the '05 season with a new bike (Pinarello Opera with Campy Record group and Proton wheels) once all the snow in Boston finally melts. New bikes sure are fun. Enjoy and welcome!
Pete

Thaks for the welcome. the Opera is their steel frame isn't it? Another nice looking machine with heaps of elusive Italian cool. With Boston's run of sporting triumphs (Red Sox & Pats) all you need is for Lance to renounce Texas and move to Boston and it will be the sporing capital of the world. :D

tayvens said:
Thaks for the welcome. the Opera is their steel frame isn't it? Another nice looking machine with heaps of elusive Italian cool. With Boston's run of sporting triumphs (Red Sox & Pats) all you need is for Lance to renounce Texas and move to Boston and it will be the sporing capital of the world. :D
You are correct. The Opera is their last steel frame. So far I have only put about 100 miles on it over a few dry but very cold days. It sure is a nice ride, but not super light (18 lbs with pedals and cages). I bought it for club rides and centuries. We are enjoying our sports teams up here lately and it looked even brighter after Athens before Tyler was booted out of the Vuelta.. I don't think Lance will renounce Texas any time soon. That's ok though since Austin is a very cool town. Ciao!

tayvens said:

Hi David

I live in Melbourne and was very interested to see your bike. My brother had a Guerciotti racing bike around 20 years ago - it was a very rare and almost mystical piece of machinery. He had a full Super Record gruppo and (from memory) Campag rims with tubs, with Cinelli bars and stem of course.

I have always loved Italian bikes. In fact, when I built my bike I made sure EVERYTHING on it was Italian - even the rim tape! I just bought a Bianchi full carbon 928 monocoque with Chorus gruppo. The frame is the new "1880" 125 year anniversary colour. It's extremely comfy to ride and makes me ride beyond my capabilities.

I hope you enjoy your beautiful machine - both riding it and the warm fuzzy feeling you get just thinking about it. Some ******** once said "it's not about the bike." Well, he is a triathelete afterall. Anyone who is a true bike rider - who dreams of things like Campagolo/Bianchi/Tommasini/Geurciotti - appreciates the beauty and craftsmanship of the bike as much as riding it! I don't know how anyone could ever get excited about the Japanese spacejunk that's flooding the market these days. I bet the people who make that **** probably have never even ridden a decent bike, let alone understand the passion that goes into a top Italian thoroughbred.

Cheers
Matt

Anyone who is a true bike rider - who dreams of things like Campagolo/Bianchi/Tommasini/Geurciotti - appreciates the beauty and craftsmanship of the bike as much as riding it! I don't know how anyone could ever get excited about the Japanese spacejunk that's flooding the market these days. I bet the people who make that **** probably have never even ridden a decent bike, let alone understand the passion that goes into a top Italian thoroughbred.

Cheers
Matt[/QUOTE]

Hear-hear! I don't want to start a Campag/Shimano war but in my own opinion (only my own and just an opinion) I think the DA hoods and cranks are plain ugly (if other people love DA then that's fine with me).

The Gueciotti continues to impress me. I did consider the Bianchi carbon. Does your chain-stays have the cut out bits like the Colnago?

As far as I can see the only non-Italian bits on my bike are the Hutchinson tyers and the Look pedals and at least they were from France. (Oh God... I've become a Eurosnob!)

tayvens said:
As far as I can see the only non-Italian bits on my bike are the Hutchinson tyers and the Look pedals and at least they were from France. (Oh God... I've become a Eurosnob!)
Repent! You can still purchase Vittoria clinchers (they are better anyway!) and of course Campagnolo Pro-Fit pedals (not sexy, no one talks about 'em, but they are great!). :D