Hello everyone! The back of my balls are killing me!

grandamn

Apr 18, 2011
I've been out of the cycling since July and I'm trying to get back into it. I use to do 50mi rides like nothing and did 2 100+ mile rides summer of 2011. I brought down my trainer and have been trying to do at least 15 min every day. The problem is my gunch is though enough yet and my saddle is killing me. Any recommendations?

Also can anyone recommend outerwear to go riding in 28 degree weather?

If is the setup that you used to do 100+ ride comfortably on, you may just need to ride more. I find that have more saddle discomfort on the trainer vs. outside as I don't unweight my body as much.

Maybe you have gained weight or something else has changes which will require some minor saddle adjustments.

Twenty Eight degrees is not too bad. On a windless sunny day, I may even go with a single layer. Long tights or leg warmers are a must as well as good protection for the digits and head. I usually wear a thin spandex balaclava and sunglasses to protect the eyes.

The situation changes dramatically once the temps drop into or below the teens. Then my gear goes into Darth Vader mode, with a respirator, visor on the helmet, boots, mitts and many layers. I get a full drying rack full of clothing on those rides.

grandamn said:
there are all kind of apparel for that cold but they are expensive, the lower the temperature the higher the price, but its a worthy investment in my opinion,

"I find that have more saddle discomfort on the trainer vs. outside as I don't unweight my body as much."

Same same. Check your position variation on the trainer as you work out.

"Also can anyone recommend outerwear to go riding in 28 degree weather?"

Walmart 'Starter' brand base layer(s) up top. The black mock turtleneck, long sleeve compression tops are working well for me in ohio.

Nashbar on-sale stuff such as the Mansfield or Cannondale tights worn over shorts (or not, your choice, but I prefer the extra layer for additional warmth).

Bright colors for the top layer. Hi-Vis yellow or orange jacket or top layer jersey. Venting is king for higher exertion efforts or climbing, which heats the body up quickly.

If you have the money, check out the battery-powered heated socks...oppulence, you should haz it! Shoe covers can usually be sourced from your local shop. For gloves in the 25°-40° range I've found wool glove liners inside any cheap oversized Thinsulate filled winter gloves give me plenty of warmth and padding on the bars for a couple of hours in the cold.

Well while getting up out of the seat may be the main issue I do have a theory that may answer your hurting question a little better. I like you have been on the trainer indoors while the weather is bad. On the road my bike is great and I can go for 50 mile rides only to get a little saddle sore as I do not have cycling shorts. But 15 mins on the trainer with the exact same bike and my balls will go numb or ill feel other discomforts.

The main reason is I think that while you are out on the roads your body is never stagnant in 1 position as it is on a trainer. On the road you lean left right back forth and then you un-saddle for the bumps. All of this means that you are using your full ass and crotch to ride, not just 1 area as you do when you are on a trainer. this is the reason that we all tend to feel more discomfort on the trainer compared to the road. Like I said this is just my theory, but it seems to make the most sense. As far as how to fix it, well saddle adjustment or may be just moving the body weight around on the trainer may help but really the only way is to just go out on the road during the cold days and just ride.

I have one more theory. Does your front wheel have a riser block under it, so that you're riding "level?" If not, the constant downward angle - despite being slight - may be enough to put pressure somewhere it usually isn't.

Hope you figure it out! The time I spend on my trainer, although small because the winters aren't that bad here, is very useful.

Brian in VA

Originally Posted by grandamn .

I've been out of the cycling since July and I'm trying to get back into it. I use to do 50mi rides like nothing and did 2 100+ mile rides summer of 2011. I brought down my trainer and have been trying to do at least 15 min every day. The problem is my gunch is though enough yet and my saddle is killing me. Any recommendations?

So you've been training on a regular bike with no problems but only after you transfer to a trainer do you end up in pain?

Can you swap the saddle from your regular bike to your trainer?

If the problem is your saddle, this will ascertain if it is your trainer saddle.
If it's some other part of your trainer setup, then you need to ascertain what it is. (saddle height, frame size, body position).

If you're not experiencing pain after riding your normal bike - then your trainer is the issue.
Whether it is the saddle on your trainer or the set up of trainer is the issue, needs to be determined.