Hello Everyone!

hawk8945

Mar 9, 2012
So I just started riding again. I just sold my old bike a next hyper v to my little bro who lost a bunch of weight and I wanted him to start exercising. I have a little money but not a lot just had a baby a year ago and my wife and I are starting as teachers. I am a teacher/coach and a firefighter on the weekend it helped pay for expenses during college. I am a 26 yo 6' 310 guy, big dude if you will. I workout with weights 1 hour 4-5 times a week play bball with high school students (my atheletes) 30 - 45 mins 3 times a week jog a couple miles on the weekend also. Now I bought a shwinn protocol I know boo you got a store bike. But it is nice for the price and fairly sturdy. I just started riding it as I got it this weekend. After my hour and a half workout at school come home and try to ride a mile or two to get started. Weekends going to replace the running with the bike and see how we do. So hello and if any of you guys have any tips on how to get better at biking as after the first mile my legs ar just burnt I am sure part is from doing so much other working out but still want to be extremely active as to loose some more weight ideal for me is about 250 as I do like lifting and a football coach for lineman needs to be able to show the kids how to do it. Thanks once again guys.

Hello hawk8945 – if you want to lose weight I think riding “lots” can help. Many people begin with 1 or 2 miles for their first ride, but quickly extend the mileage to 20 or 40 miles per ride, some get over 100 miles on a single ride. Once you begin extending your mileage you will have to start thinking of what to bring to hydrate, and what you should carry with you to fix flats or other mechanical problems. You can use this forum to search for this info and a lot more. I find riding a lot easier than running on the knees. Good luck with your new bike.

Don't be discouraged by the distance or the big guy on the bicycle. I started christmas on a hybrid store bought no name bike. I am 5'5'' and weighed 265lbs. I almost died just biking around my city block. Its been 3 months-ish an I am up to fun 20 mile rides and still 5'5'', but am now down to 235lbs. I have changed my diet and habits. I eat sensible meals, that are mainly diabetic in nature. and cut out all "snacks". it's alittle extreme for most people, but i am 40 and want to be here when I am 50, so... I made a change. Don't think you can't do it man. remember, just be safe and most importantly, have fun.

Forgot to ask you to post your miles in the thread [SIZE= 11pt]“Clydesdale Community Challenge—Part IV”. Any and all miles are welcome. And it can get very motivating.[/SIZE]