hello everyone

rickragnar

Jul 5, 2014
my name is rick and I'm from saint albans vermont...im a rec rider and am looking at buying a new ride...ive had the jamis exile 2004 mountain bike...with hi bred road tires...looking to buy a road cross in the 800 to 1200 dollar range...would like some thoughts on the khs ultrasport 4.0... thank you

I think KHS makes great bikes for the money, though that bike is not a cross bike, cross bikes do not use suspended forks, plus suspended forks cost more thus the manufacture has to go with a cheap suspension fork and cheapen the components to make it fit into whatever price range their targeting, by eliminating the extra cost of a suspension fork you can get better components and a lighter bike by at least 10 pounds. That bike you show is a probably a cross trail bike, more for trail use than street...just call it a mountain bike with narrower rims and tires you could do the same thing with your current MTB simply buy narrower lighter rims and tires, or just put on 26x1.75 tires on your current rims.

One of the best ones in your price range is the Cannondale Caadx 5, the Boardman CX Pro (a bit difficult to find in your area though), and the KHS CX100. The lightest of the 3 would probably be the Cannondale at 20.3 pounds, the heaviest is the KHS at 27 pounds which seems high to me but that's what I read.

Cross bikes are a fad thus it's going to be difficult to find a decent X bike for the price you want to pay, but the Cannondale I think would be your best deal. I'm sure someone else will chime in with a better thought so lets wait and see what they say.

thank you great advice...im also looking at the fuji traverse 1.1...any advice on 29 in rims?

You're confusing me, you said in your original post that you already have a mountain bike and you are looking to get a cross bike yet you keep showing us mountain bikes, the KHS Ultra Sport is a mountain bike, and now the Fuji Traverse 1.1 is a mountain bike. Do you want a mountain bike or a cross bike? Be prepared to pay about a 5 pound penalty for a mountain bike due to the heavier frame and suspension fork. I like the KHS better than the Fuji, why? looks! It looks better than the drab black Fuji in my opinion of course; component wise their a toss up. But with either of those two bikes you're just getting a bike that you already have.

A 29" tire will be more difficult and have fewer tires to select from and will have to pay a premium for the tires because of that. A 700c tire is the most common and thus you have a lot of tires to select from which in turn means you can find better prices on tires in that size.

sorry to confuse you just looking for a road and simple trail bike....went with the fuji...your right its ugly ...nice ride for my price...this is a cross bike sort of ...i don't think cross bikes are a fad but your right they don't make them yet...tho this one is close for my needs

Originally Posted by rickragnar
sorry to confuse you just looking for a road and simple trail bike....went with the fuji...your right its ugly ...nice ride for my price...this is a cross bike sort of ...i don't think cross bikes are a fad but your right they don't make them yet...tho this one is close for my needs
Congrats on getting the bike, now ride it a lot.