Hello from CA

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Risa Bernstein, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Hello Everyone -

    I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a phrase)
    about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern CA and I
    remember there were quite a few poeple who also were active
    on this group back then from CA. I remember always reading
    about Trader Joe's and wondering what it was - they did
    finally build one a mile from my house in Northern Virginia
    but now I'm surrounded by them out here! Anyway, just wanted
    to say HI to anyone who is still out there in CA from back
    then. It's been quite a move for us but hopefully we'll
    adjust - nice weather anyway! :)

    risa

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"risa bernstein" writes:
    >
    >Hello Everyone -
    >
    >I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a phrase)
    >about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern CA and I
    >remember there were quite a few poeple who also were active
    >on this group back then from CA. I remember always reading
    >about Trader Joe's and wondering what it was - they did
    >finally build one a mile from my house in Northern Virginia
    >but now I'm surrounded by them out here! Anyway, just
    >wanted to say HI to anyone who is still out there in CA
    >from back then. It's been quite a move for us but hopefully
    >we'll adjust - nice weather anyway! :)
    >
    >risa

    I remember you, vaguely... it's been a while. so, will yoiu
    join in again?

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  3. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"risa bernstein" writes:
    >
    >Hello Everyone -
    >
    >I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a phrase)
    >about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern CA and I
    >remember there were quite a few poeple who also were active
    >on this group back then from CA. I remember always reading
    >about Trader Joe's and wondering what it was - they did
    >finally build one a mile from my house in Northern Virginia
    >but now I'm surrounded by them out here! Anyway, just
    >wanted to say HI to anyone who is still out there in CA
    >from back then. It's been quite a move for us but hopefully
    >we'll adjust - nice weather anyway! :)
    >
    >risa

    I remember you, vaguely... it's been a while. so, will yoiu
    join in again?

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  4. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "risa bernstein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone -
    >
    > I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a
    > phrase) about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern
    > CA and I remember there were quite a
    few
    > poeple who also were active on this group back then from
    > CA. I remember always reading about Trader Joe's and
    > wondering what it was - they did finally build one a
    > mile from my house in Northern Virginia but now I'm
    > surrounded by them out here! Anyway, just wanted to say
    > HI to anyone who
    is
    > still out there in CA from back then. It's been quite a
    > move for us but hopefully we'll adjust - nice weather
    > anyway! :)
    >
    > risa

    Hi Risa, and welcome to SoCal :) We live in San Diego...are
    you this far south?

    kimberly

  5. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "risa bernstein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone -
    >
    > I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a
    > phrase) about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern
    > CA and I remember there were quite a
    few
    > poeple who also were active on this group back then from
    > CA. I remember always reading about Trader Joe's and
    > wondering what it was - they did finally build one a
    > mile from my house in Northern Virginia but now I'm
    > surrounded by them out here! Anyway, just wanted to say
    > HI to anyone who
    is
    > still out there in CA from back then. It's been quite a
    > move for us but hopefully we'll adjust - nice weather
    > anyway! :)
    >
    > risa

    Hi Risa, and welcome to SoCal :) We live in San Diego...are
    you this far south?

    kimberly

  6. Orion

    Orion Guest

    "risa bernstein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone -
    >
    > I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a
    > phrase) about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern
    > CA and I remember there were quite a
    few
    > poeple who also were active on this group back then from
    > CA. I remember always reading about Trader Joe's and
    > wondering what it was - they did finally build one a
    > mile from my house in Northern Virginia but now I'm
    > surrounded by them out here! Anyway, just wanted to say
    > HI to anyone who
    is
    > still out there in CA from back then. It's been quite a
    > move for us but hopefully we'll adjust - nice weather
    > anyway! :)
    >
    > risa

    welcome back to the group, I've only been here a short while
    myself. I'm also in SoCal, also in San Diego to be exact.
    We're having a cook-in in June, but I'm hoping we can all
    get together before then.

    Suzan

  7. Orion

    Orion Guest

    "risa bernstein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone -
    >
    > I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a
    > phrase) about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern
    > CA and I remember there were quite a
    few
    > poeple who also were active on this group back then from
    > CA. I remember always reading about Trader Joe's and
    > wondering what it was - they did finally build one a
    > mile from my house in Northern Virginia but now I'm
    > surrounded by them out here! Anyway, just wanted to say
    > HI to anyone who
    is
    > still out there in CA from back then. It's been quite a
    > move for us but hopefully we'll adjust - nice weather
    > anyway! :)
    >
    > risa

    welcome back to the group, I've only been here a short while
    myself. I'm also in SoCal, also in San Diego to be exact.
    We're having a cook-in in June, but I'm hoping we can all
    get together before then.

    Suzan

  8. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "risa bernstein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone -
    >
    > I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a
    > phrase) about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern
    > CA and I remember there were quite a
    few
    > poeple who also were active on this group back then from
    > CA. I remember always reading about Trader Joe's and
    > wondering what it was - they did finally build one a
    > mile from my house in Northern Virginia but now I'm
    > surrounded by them out here! Anyway, just wanted to say
    > HI to anyone who
    is
    > still out there in CA from back then. It's been quite a
    > move for us but hopefully we'll adjust - nice weather
    > anyway! :)
    >
    > risa

    Hello back - yep there are scads here in So Cal.

    Dimitri

  9. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "risa bernstein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone -
    >
    > I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a
    > phrase) about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern
    > CA and I remember there were quite a
    few
    > poeple who also were active on this group back then from
    > CA. I remember always reading about Trader Joe's and
    > wondering what it was - they did finally build one a
    > mile from my house in Northern Virginia but now I'm
    > surrounded by them out here! Anyway, just wanted to say
    > HI to anyone who
    is
    > still out there in CA from back then. It's been quite a
    > move for us but hopefully we'll adjust - nice weather
    > anyway! :)
    >
    > risa

    Hello back - yep there are scads here in So Cal.

    Dimitri

  10. Hello from Connecticut. Have a nice sunny day. Amanda

  11. Hello from Connecticut. Have a nice sunny day. Amanda

  12. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:18:45 GMT, "Dimitri"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hello back - yep there are scads here in So Cal.
    >
    > Dimitri

    Aren't you in Santa Barbara (or do I have you mixed up with
    someone else)?

  13. Sf

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hello back - yep there are scads here in So Cal.
    >
    > Dimitri

    Aren't you in Santa Barbara (or do I have you mixed up with
    someone else)?

  14. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:18:45 GMT, "Dimitri"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > Hello back - yep there are scads here in So Cal.
    > >
    > > Dimitri
    > >
    > Aren't you in Santa Barbara (or do I have you mixed up
    > with someone else)?

    Mixed up with someone else.

    Dimitri

  15. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:18:45 GMT, "Dimitri"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > Hello back - yep there are scads here in So Cal.
    > >
    > > Dimitri
    > >
    > Aren't you in Santa Barbara (or do I have you mixed up
    > with someone else)?

    Mixed up with someone else.

    Dimitri

  16. Hi Suzan -

    Ah yes, the old cook-ins. I remember reading all about
    them but never

    attended one. I'm in Yorba Linda, about 1.5 hours north of
    you. Hopefully

    they'll have them in the LA metro area too!

    risa

    > welcome back to the group, I've only been here a short
    > while myself. I'm also in SoCal, also in San Diego to be
    > exact. We're having a cook-in in June, but I'm hoping we
    > can all get together before then.
    >
    > Suzan

  17. "risa bernstein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Suzan -
    >
    > Ah yes, the old cook-ins. I remember reading all about
    > them but never
    >
    > attended one. I'm in Yorba Linda, about 1.5 hours north of
    > you. Hopefully
    >
    > they'll have them in the LA metro area too!
    >
    > risa

    The folks who organized the L.A. Cook-Ins are no longer
    involved with rfc or have moved away. However we still have
    annual Cook-Ins in Sandy Eggo. You are welcome to attend
    this years. It will be June 12th. Just email me and I will
    put you on the mailing list.

    I'm sure that someone will volunteer to host a Cook-In in L.
    A. before too many years go by. It is not a difficult thing
    to host but requires a lot of planning and organization. In
    the meanwhile, most SoCal rfc'ers make the short drive down
    to Sandy Eggo.

    Charlie

  18. Anne Bourget

    Anne Bourget Guest

    "risa bernstein" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello Everyone -
    >
    > I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a
    > phrase) about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern
    > CA and I remember there were quite a few poeple who also
    > were active on this group back then from CA. I remember
    > always reading about Trader Joe's and wondering what it
    > was - they did finally build one a mile from my house in
    > Northern Virginia but now I'm surrounded by them out here!
    > Anyway, just wanted to say HI to anyone who is still out
    > there in CA from back then. It's been quite a move for us
    > but hopefully we'll adjust - nice weather anyway! :)
    >
    > risa

    Hello Risa,

    I became active in this newsgroup years ago at the strong
    suggestion of Susan Steinsapir, as I was home recovering
    from mono. Susan--who was very active in the group before
    her untimely death in 1996--thought it would be a good
    release for me and it was. I still remember Susan sitting at
    my computer showing me how to search in Unix. Reading the
    group these days is rare for me. There are still a few
    familar names though. I did host one cook-in (rather, eat-
    in) in Sacramento. Ray Bruman in Berkeley really threw some
    great rec.food.cooking gatherings.

    While most of the people I knew in this group don't appear
    to be active these days, the topics are quite familiar.
    "What is a cube of butter? How do I season cast iron? Why
    use unsalted butter?" etc.

    Anne Bourget

  19. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On 14 Mar 2004 09:35:10 -0800, [email protected] (Anne
    Bourget) wrote:

    > I did host one cook-in (rather, eat-in) in Sacramento.
    > Ray Bruman in Berkeley really threw some great
    > rec.food.cooking gatherings.
    >
    > While most of the people I knew in this group don't
    > appear to be active these days, the topics are quite
    > familiar. "What is a cube of butter? How do I season cast
    > iron? Why use unsalted butter?" etc.
    >
    > Anne Bourget

    Long time, no see! Are you still in Sacramento?

  20. Modom

    Modom Guest

    wrote:

    >"risa bernstein" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Hello Everyone -
    >>
    >> I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a
    >> phrase) about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern
    >> CA and I remember there were quite a few poeple who also
    >> were active on this group back then from CA. I remember
    >> always reading about Trader Joe's and wondering what it
    >> was - they did finally build one a mile from my house in
    >> Northern Virginia but now I'm surrounded by them out
    >> here! Anyway, just wanted to say HI to anyone who is
    >> still out there in CA from back then. It's been quite a
    >> move for us but hopefully we'll adjust - nice weather
    >> anyway! :)
    >>
    >> risa
    >
    >Hello Risa,
    >
    >I became active in this newsgroup years ago at the strong
    >suggestion of Susan Steinsapir, as I was home recovering
    >from mono. Susan--who was very active in the group before
    >her untimely death in 1996--thought it would be a good
    >release for me and it was. I still remember Susan sitting
    >at my computer showing me how to search in Unix. Reading
    >the group these days is rare for me. There are still a few
    >familar names though. I did host one cook-in (rather, eat-
    >in) in Sacramento. Ray Bruman in Berkeley really threw some
    >great rec.food.cooking gatherings.
    >
    >While most of the people I knew in this group don't appear
    >to be active these days, the topics are quite familiar.
    >"What is a cube of butter? How do I season cast iron? Why
    >use unsalted butter?" etc.
    >
    >Anne Bourget

    Yeah, and there are sometimes really good brownie
    recipes, too.

    modom