Hello from CA

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:31:13 -0800, "risa bernstein"
<[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they looked
like this:

>Hello Everyone -
>
>I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a phrase)
>about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern CA and I
>remember there were quite a few poeple who also were active
>on this group back then from CA. I remember always reading
>about Trader Joe's and wondering what it was - they did
>finally build one a mile from my house in Northern Virginia
>but now I'm surrounded by them out here! Anyway, just
>wanted to say HI to anyone who is still out there in CA
>from back then. It's been quite a move for us but hopefully
>we'll adjust - nice weather anyway! :)

Risa, I'm in south Orange County and I'm sure Charlie from
Sandy Eggo will try to sign you up for the June cookin. Go
for it! They're a blast! I can't wait.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

On 14 Mar 2004 09:35:10 -0800, [email protected] (Anne Bourget)
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>I became active in this newsgroup years ago at the strong
>suggestion of Susan Steinsapir, as I was home recovering
>from mono. Susan--who was very active in the group before
>her untimely death in 1996--thought it would be a good
>release for me and it was. I still remember Susan sitting
>at my computer showing me how to search in Unix. Reading
>the group these days is rare for me. There are still a few
>familar names though. I did host one cook-in (rather, eat-
>in) in Sacramento. Ray Bruman in Berkeley really threw some
>great rec.food.cooking gatherings.
>
>While most of the people I knew in this group don't appear
>to be active these days, the topics are quite familiar.
>"What is a cube of butter? How do I season cast iron? Why
>use unsalted butter?" etc.

Anne, whatever happened to Ray? I had an absence here of
about a year a while back and he had dropped off the group.
He kindly hosted an overnight at his place with another
RFCer when we had a cookin/campout in northern California.
Very nice guy.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:40:55 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:31:13 -0800, "risa bernstein"
><[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so
>they looked like this:
>
>>Hello Everyone -
>>
>>I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a
>>phrase) about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern
>>CA and I remember there were quite a few poeple who also
>>were active on this group back then from CA. I remember
>>always reading about Trader Joe's and wondering what it
>>was - they did finally build one a mile from my house in
>>Northern Virginia but now I'm surrounded by them out here!
>>Anyway, just wanted to say HI to anyone who is still out
>>there in CA from back then. It's been quite a move for us
>>but hopefully we'll adjust - nice weather anyway! :)
>>
>Risa, I'm in south Orange County and I'm sure Charlie from
>Sandy Eggo will try to sign you up for the June cookin. Go
>for it! They're a blast! I can't wait.

And I am in Los Angeles until the end of May..staying in
Marina del Rey...

Christine

"Anne Bourget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> While most of the people I knew in this group don't appear
> to be active these days, the topics are quite familiar.
> "What is a cube of butter? How do I season cast iron? Why
> use unsalted butter?" etc.
>
> Anne Bourget

Lots of people are no longer posting these days, but many of
us are still in touch, email and in person.

Charliam

"Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Anne, whatever happened to Ray? I had an absence here of
> about a year a while back and he had dropped off the
> group. He kindly hosted an overnight at his place with
> another RFCer when we had a cookin/campout in northern
> California. Very nice guy.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Ray's email goes through but he no reply. Last time he was
at Burning Man. Mayhap he is still in the desert.

Charlie

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> On 14 Mar 2004 09:35:10 -0800, [email protected] (Anne
> Bourget) wrote:

> >While most of the people I knew in this group don't
> >appear to be active these days, the topics are quite
> >familiar. "What is a cube of butter? How do I season cast
> >iron? Why use unsalted butter?" etc.
> >
> >Anne Bourget
>
> Yeah, and there are sometimes really good brownie
> recipes, too.

And discussions about what kind of vehicle to use in
tenderizing meats. (Wasn't it you who popularized the
Volvo?)

--
Dan Abel Sonoma State University AIS [email protected]

Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 14 Mar 2004 09:35:10 -0800, [email protected]
> (Anne Bourget) arranged random neurons, so they looked
> like this:
>
> >I became active in this newsgroup years ago at the strong
> >suggestion of Susan Steinsapir, as I was home recovering
> >from mono. Susan--who was very active in the group before
> >her untimely death in 1996--thought it would be a good
> >release for me and it was. I still remember Susan sitting
> >at my computer showing me how to search in Unix. Reading
> >the group these days is rare for me. There are still a
> >few familar names though. I did host one cook-in (rather,
> >eat-in) in Sacramento. Ray Bruman in Berkeley really
> >threw some great rec.food.cooking gatherings.
> >
> >While most of the people I knew in this group don't
> >appear to be active these days, the topics are quite
> >familiar. "What is a cube of butter? How do I season cast
> >iron? Why use unsalted butter?" etc.
>
> Anne, whatever happened to Ray? I had an absence here of
> about a year a while back and he had dropped off the
> group. He kindly hosted an overnight at his place with
> another RFCer when we had a cookin/campout in northern
> California. Very nice guy.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
> had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
> been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
> good dinner." Anonymous.
>
> To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"
Ray is alive and well in Berkeley. I received a Christmas
card from him. He is happily retired and his many and varied
interests keep him busy. And "hi" Squeaks. Nice to see that
you are still here.

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:41:21 -0800, [email protected] (Dan Abel) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> On 14 Mar 2004 09:35:10 -0800, [email protected] (Anne
>> Bourget) wrote:
>

>> >While most of the people I knew in this group don't
>> >appear to be active these days, the topics are quite
>> >familiar. "What is a cube of butter? How do I season
>> >cast iron? Why use unsalted butter?" etc.
>> >
>> >Anne Bourget
>>
>> Yeah, and there are sometimes really good brownie
>> recipes, too.
>

>And discussions about what kind of vehicle to use in
>tenderizing meats. (Wasn't it you who popularized the
>Volvo?)

I had an old 240 at the time, but I believe it was Anne who
smushed her chicken with a Volvo named Ingrid. Now how a
vehicle with a male sign in its grille got a feminine name
escapes me.

modom

On 15 Mar 2004 15:56:32 -0800, [email protected] (Anne Bourget)
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>Ray is alive and well in Berkeley. I received a Christmas
>card from him. He is happily retired and his many and
>varied interests keep him busy. And "hi" Squeaks. Nice to
>see that you are still here.

Anne, nice to see you are, too!

If you talk/email Ray, tell him I remember him and his
hospitality fondly.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:22:02 -0600, modom <[email protected]> arranged
random neurons, so they looked like this:

>On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:41:21 -0800, [email protected] (Dan
>Abel) wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>>[email protected] wrote:

>>And discussions about what kind of vehicle to use in
>>tenderizing meats. (Wasn't it you who popularized
>>the Volvo?)
>
>I had an old 240 at the time, but I believe it was Anne who
>smushed her chicken with a Volvo named Ingrid. Now how a
>vehicle with a male sign in its grille got a feminine name
>escapes me.

I could have sworn that was a thread about black walnuts...

(Hoping I got the attributes right!)

"risa bernstein" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello Everyone -
>
> I used to read this newsgroup religiously (to use a
> phrase) about 10 years ago. We recently moved to Southern
> CA and I remember there were quite a few poeple who also
> were active on this group back then from CA. I remember
> always reading about Trader Joe's and wondering what it
> was - they did finally build one a mile from my house in
> Northern Virginia but now I'm surrounded by them out here!
> Anyway, just wanted to say HI to anyone who is still out
> there in CA from back then. It's been quite a move for us
> but hopefully we'll adjust - nice weather anyway! :)

Hey there risa! How goes?

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. --
Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"