Hello...new member from Canada

rolfdevinci

Oct 5, 2003
Hiya all. Stumbled upon this site while doing a search. Been riding a MTB since the 80`s but have spent the last couple seasons road riding.
I`m located on the East coast of Canada in Halifax.

Hey, Bro.

I'm from Montreal. I've been to Halifax a couple of times. It's a nice place. Nova Scotia, home of the Trailer Park Boys!

Originally posted by rolfdevinci
Hiya all. Stumbled upon this site while doing a search. Been riding a MTB since the 80`s but have spent the last couple seasons road riding.

Welcome aboard!

Lots of great advice and information here, and you don't even have to dig to long to find something useful! :)

I've never been on the east coast of Canada, I'm a Californian and so that means just the trips to Vancouver... Still one of my favorite places to go though...

Have a good one!

Feanor

Originally posted by randall0069
Hey, Bro.

I'm from Montreal. I've been to Halifax a couple of times. It's a nice place. Nova Scotia, home of the Trailer Park Boys!

LOL.Unfortunately all us Maritimers are not as colorful as the Trailer Park boys......lol. I got to Montreal this past summer for the first time...it was a business trip but I did get to spend some time in the old port. Enjoyed myself alot. Hope to get back sooner than later. ;)

Thank goodness you're not all as "colorful" as them. We be in a trailer-load of trouble if you were.
Any good off-road trails back east?

Thank goodness you're not all as "colorful" as them. We be in a trailer-load of trouble if you were.
Any good off-road trails back east?

All kinds if you know where they are.....morphed into a roadie so my trail days are few and far between. My poor neglected MTB.
Check out this site...I work in the same company as one of the contributers to the site.

http://www.ecmtb.com/frontpage.htm

Nice to see another Canadian - funny, I was thinking about starting a Canadian specific post today... but it was already done for me :)

I'm from Victoria, BC - apparently the cycling capital of Canada? (well, that's what we claim.. but might be a stretch).

We have trails galore - year round

I've never been that far east... but hopefully one day soon! Anybody here ever ridden across Canada before?

L

If I had the time and the $$$ I'd ride 'cross country in a heartbeat! I rode some pretty awsome trails in the Canmore / Banff area a couple years ago, though.

Victoria!Awesome.......betcha you can pretty much cycle year round in the Canadian tropics...lol. Just kidding ya......gotta get out that way soon myself......it would be cool to cycle across the country. If I could just win that darn 649 I would do it....complete with my personal sag wagon.
Hmmmm...a fella can dream can`t he? What do you guys ride? I have a Schwinn MTB(pre bankruptcy) and a Devinci road bike.

I'm from Vancouver, and I can see why Victoria/Vancouver Island would be a capital for cycling, prob for MTB onlycause most of that island is free of builddings and there are lots of trails. I once lived in Gibsons(2 months lol)(moved 13 times so far and I'm 13) and there is this steep hill, like REALLY steep and I rode my faithful norco hornet down it on a buisness visit (My grandfathers paintings) and I rode straight down it and there were no cars thankfully but at the bottom the street ends but there is a wharf to stop on, I was doing 60-70 kph and I went straight onto the wharf andI skidded w my back brake and stopped about a foot away from going in the water (!!!) I scared the $%&# out of me but I also had fun at the same time. But I cant ride right now A. Grounded and a ton of homework B. My brakes are screwed up (http://www.cyclingforums.com/t52119.html).Greeting from the Great white North to all u 'mericans!

Hey, Bro.

:mad:

No, TPB's are from New Brunswick. Close but no cigar....

Memph

Hello, I'm in your neck of the woods every couple of years. As my father is a Bay Boy. Looking forward to riding out there this summer. To bad we have to go thru a winter first.... :(

Memph

Originally posted by linzter
Nice to see another Canadian - funny, I was thinking about starting a Canadian specific post today... but it was already done for me :)

I'm from Victoria, BC - apparently the cycling capital of Canada? (well, that's what we claim.. but might be a stretch).

We have trails galore - year round

I've never been that far east... but hopefully one day soon! Anybody here ever ridden across Canada before?

L

Does riding your bike in every Province count? Have not contunously ridden thru every one, but have ridden in each (sorry terrories, missed ya). I have done the same with my car and bike, had a front wheel in the Atlantic and Pacific. I have over 50 000km of riding, does that count :)

Use to live in the interior of BC, where I once wrote 534 straight days outside for atleast an hour. Now live in TO.....

Memph

Bay Boy!LOL.Check out this site..........

http://www.atlanticcanadacycling.com/index.html

More specifically for Cape Breton.....thinking of doing this next year.....

http://www.atlanticcanadacycling.com/cabottrail/tour/
Glad to welcome another Canadian to the site. There are more than a few of us that visit regularly. I spent a year in Halifax back in the early '60s when I returned from the Middle East. I drove the Cabot Trail then and remember the spectacular scenery. These days my riding is along the shores of eastern Lake Ontario and the back roads around Kingston.

Originally posted by chimo
Glad to welcome another Canadian to the site. There are more than a few of us that visit regularly. I spent a year in Halifax back in the early '60s when I returned from the Middle East. I drove the Cabot Trail then and remember the spectacular scenery. These days my riding is along the shores of eastern Lake Ontario and the back roads around Kingston.

Cool. Middle East huh? Can I assume you were in the military on a UN posting? Sinai perhaps? Eastern Lake Ontario....whats the terrain like in that part of the world?

Cool. Middle East huh? Can I assume you were in the military on a UN posting? Sinai perhaps? Eastern Lake Ontario....whats the terrain like in that part of the world?

That's right. The UN Emergency Force in the Middle East. I returned to Halifax in June 1962.

My favourite ride, and certainly one of the finest you can find, is along the Loyalist Parkway from Kingston to Trenton. In deference to our American friends, I won't go into why it is called the Loyalist Parkway. It's about 100 km and for most of the way follows the shoreline so it's fairly level. It requires a ferry to Prince Edward County but they run every 15 min. There is a paved shoulder for most of the way and most drivers are sightseers or the locals who are quite friendly and very mellow.

Sounds real nice Chimo. If you tell me it has smooth, flat ashpalt without the ruts and potholes I`m familiar with I may mistake it as Paradise. Well....sort of...must say in some masochistic sense I like climbing hills....most days.