Hello! Newbie Roadbiker

SilentShifter

Aug 23, 2005
Hey everyone!!

My name is Jason I'm 24 years old, and I just stumbled across this page earlier today. I have had some mountain bike experience in the past but nothing serious.

I really want to get into road biking and have looked at the 2005 Trek 1500, specialized allez and the fuji roubaix. I am 6ft 3in tall so I guess I would need a 60cm/Large traditional frame bike or a 58cm compact frame.

It seems that the Trek 1500 has the most for the money. I only want to spend about $1k. Any input would really help!:confused:

The only concerns I have, which have kept me from purchasing a road bike this long are (1) the narrow road tires - make me nervous coming from a massive mountain bike tire (2) the wrecks have gotta hurt compared to crashing in the dirt!:eek: hahaha, go easy on me, here.

Anyway, any input or help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to getting to know you all!

-J

SilentShifter said:
The only concerns I have, which have kept me from purchasing a road bike this long are (1) the narrow road tires - make me nervous coming from a massive mountain bike tire (2) the wrecks have gotta hurt compared to crashing in the dirt!:eek: hahaha, go easy on me, here.
1) You'll get used to the tires.
2) The wrecks hurt like hell, but they happen less frequently.

Have fun with your new addiction. :D

SilentShifter said:
Hey everyone!!

My name is Jason I'm 24 years old, and I just stumbled across this page earlier today. I have had some mountain bike experience in the past but nothing serious.

I really want to get into road biking and have looked at the 2005 Trek 1500, specialized allez and the fuji roubaix. I am 6ft 3in tall so I guess I would need a 60cm/Large traditional frame bike or a 58cm compact frame.

It seems that the Trek 1500 has the most for the money. I only want to spend about $1k. Any input would really help!:confused:

Anyway, any input or help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to getting to know you all!

-J

I wouldn't worry about the tyre size because you'll be on smooth tarmac (maybe?) compared to boulders and small furry animals you'd get on an mtb. For the same reason, crashes aren't much worse unless a car drivers mistakes you for a semi!!!:D That could leave you with more than a little scratch. The main difference you'll notice is the handling. A road bike will feel twitchy as hell compared to your mtb. You'll get used to it in a couple days of riding it.:)

SilentShifter said:
Hey everyone!!

-J
Congrats on getting into road cycling. Any of the three bikes you listed will be fine. Go around to the LBSs (local bike shops) in your area and test ride all of the bikes in your price range. It's hard to make bike recommendations because everyone's different, but test ride all the bikes you can and see which one you like better. $1000 will be plenty of money to buy a really nice first road bike.

Great! Thanks for all the comments, keep em coming.

What about Bib VS shorts? Any reasons to get one over the other? Also, this may sound like a funny question, but do you normally wear anything under your riding shorts, or can you go without?

:) :)

SilentShifter said:

What about Bib VS shorts? Any reasons to get one over the other? Also, this may sound like a funny question, but do you normally wear anything under your riding shorts, or can you go without?

Generally, no. Some people do wear undies under their shorts, but going 'commando' is usually the best way. Bib shorts have straps that go over your shoulders to hold em up so they don't dig into your waist. Ordinary shorts are elasticated round your waist which can really get on your tits on a long ride.:D

SilentShifter said:

That's a common question, but you're not supposed to wear anything under cycling shorts.

Ok that helps a lot. So bibs are the better way to go since you don't deal with the bunching or movement of conventional shorts.

What are some high quality features to look for in bibs and jerseys. I know the chamois is important, but what about wicking properties, ventilation, etc.
Thank you for all your help with my questions! This is a great place.

SilentShifter said:
Ok that helps a lot. So bibs are the better way to go since you don't deal with the bunching or movement of conventional shorts.

What are some high quality features to look for in bibs and jerseys. I know the chamois is important, but what about wicking properties, ventilation, etc.
Thank you for all your help with my questions! This is a great place.
Erm. You've got me there!!! To the best of my knowledge, choose 8 panel shorts over 6 panel shorts. No such thing as ventilation though. If you get too warm, nip into a side road and drop your kecks!!!:D That might work! Wicking properties are a nice idea, but unfortunately rarely seem to wick anything, for me anyway. As far as I'm concerned, a jersey's a jersey. Do not under ANY circumstances wear red or white shorts. If you do, you will be labelled a **** for the rest of your life, your friends and family will dis-own you and you will die a lonely old man!!!:D

shannons dad said:
Erm. You've got me there!!! To the best of my knowledge, choose 8 panel shorts over 6 panel shorts. No such thing as ventilation though. If you get too warm, nip into a side road and drop your kecks!!!:D That might work! Wicking properties are a nice idea, but unfortunately rarely seem to wick anything, for me anyway. As far as I'm concerned, a jersey's a jersey. Do not under ANY circumstances wear red or white shorts. If you do, you will be labelled a **** for the rest of your life, your friends and family will dis-own you and you will die a lonely old man!!!:D
HAHAHA, I saw that post with the Red/White shorts pictures. I think black is a good choice!

SilentShifter said:
HAHAHA, I saw that post with the Red/White shorts pictures. I think black is a good choice!
My shorts are black with red and white stripes...

As for wiping out...I spend most of my time on my MTB and I have wiped out on asphault and on dirt and they all hurt just as much...it is part of the sport. If you do not ride the bike right to the edge then hang it up. This sport is about pushing yourself and your equipment, wrecks/wipeouts ARE GOING to happen. The only advice I can give you there is clean the road rash as soon as possible. If you are 15 miles away from finishing your ride that is a lot of time for bacteria to get rooted into the wound. A lot of folks including myself, carry a small medical "patch" kit. I carry a small bottle of peroxide, neosporin, a can of liquid skin, some cotton balls, and some bandaids. That is enough to get the wound clean until I get back to my house where I can scrub it and properly dress it.

For shorts, I buy whatever's a good deal on performance or nashbar and they've worked well for me thus far.

The trek 1500 is a good beginner bike but there’re a lot of other options that can get your more for your money. If you know your correct size, internet ordered bikes can get you exceptional value. For $1100 you can get an Ultegra 10 speed bike from Supergo. Spending that extra $200 ($1100 + $100 for a bike shop to assemble it) you will have bike with mid-level components. Specialized also has a bike with good components for less then 1k. I would also check out Giant since their bikes are highly rated by Bicycle Magazine. I own 2 named brand and one Supergo bike and tell you the Supergo bike is a better deal and perhaps the better bike.

jaguar75 said:
My shorts are black with red and white stripes...

As for wiping out...I spend most of my time on my MTB and I have wiped out on asphault and on dirt and they all hurt just as much...it is part of the sport. If you do not ride the bike right to the edge then hang it up. This sport is about pushing yourself and your equipment, wrecks/wipeouts ARE GOING to happen. The only advice I can give you there is clean the road rash as soon as possible. If you are 15 miles away from finishing your ride that is a lot of time for bacteria to get rooted into the wound. A lot of folks including myself, carry a small medical "patch" kit. I carry a small bottle of peroxide, neosporin, a can of liquid skin, some cotton balls, and some bandaids. That is enough to get the wound clean until I get back to my house where I can scrub it and properly dress it.
The JagMan is right. If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room. :D

AS for the 1st aid kit - not a bad idea. I once rode 25 miles after a crash, and didn't clean the wound. When I took my shorts off they'd healed into the skin and I had to rip the new skin off my thigh. Ouch.

Well I am happy to say I finally did it !! I finally found a bike shop in Virginia with a 2005 Trek 1500 63cm! I got it for a great price ($899), too. I pick it up on Wenesday and get fitted and everything.

Now I just gotta get the gear:eek:

Let the good times begin!

thanks for all the help everyone! I hope to get with some of you VA riders when i get more confident on this skinny-tire thing:)