Helmet advice.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mitch Pollard, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Hi, judging from your posts many of you have alot of expirience and knowledge on this amazing life
    style. Being new to it. i am just learning. be kind.

    I have a bike I really like at the moment. I need a helmet. something that i can perhaps use in
    competition XC not downhill. and also ride on the street with. I am liking the Giro Animas and e2,
    They are very pricey and rare in my city (Perth Western Australia) just wondering. If any of you
    could perhaps tell me some alternatives. I do think the giros design is very nice. are they worth
    the price tag ? any help would be muchly appreciated.. thanks

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Mitch pollard thoughtfully penned:
    > Hi, judging from your posts many of you have alot of expirience and knowledge on this amazing life
    > style. Being new to it. i am just learning. be kind.
    >
    > I have a bike I really like at the moment. I need a helmet. something that i can perhaps use in
    > competition XC not downhill. and also ride on the street with. I am liking the Giro Animas and e2,
    > They are very pricey and rare in my city (Perth Western Australia) just wondering. If any of you
    > could perhaps tell me some alternatives. I do think the giros design is very nice. are they worth
    > the price tag ? any help would be muchly appreciated.. thanks

    get the one that FITS not the one that looks coolest... sheesh...

    penny

  3. Vp

    Vp Guest

    Penny S.,

    > get the one that FITS not the one that looks coolest... sheesh...

    Or be old skool and don't wear one.

  4. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Mitch pollard wrote:
    > Hi, judging from your posts many of you have alot of expirience and knowledge on this amazing life
    > style. Being new to it. i am just learning. be kind.
    >
    > I have a bike I really like at the moment. I need a helmet. something that i can perhaps use in
    > competition XC not downhill. and also ride on the street with. I am liking the Giro Animas and e2,
    > They are very pricey and rare in my city (Perth Western Australia) just wondering. If any of you
    > could perhaps tell me some alternatives. I do think the giros design is very nice. are they worth
    > the price tag ? any help would be muchly appreciated.. thanks

    More expensive helmets tend to have better ventilation. That's about the only reliable difference.
    That's in the US, where all helmets now pass safety regulations.

  5. David L

    David L Guest

    "VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0F6A63.41A7A%[email protected]...
    > Penny S.,
    >
    > > get the one that FITS not the one that looks coolest... sheesh...
    >
    > Or be old skool and don't wear one.

    so old skool is the equivilent of being stupid now?

    i cant keep up with the times, and the damn ass jargon

    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

  6. Vp

    Vp Guest

    David L,

    > so old skool is the equivilent of being stupid now?
    >
    > i cant keep up with the times, and the damn ass jargon

    I knew I would dig out silly comments.

  7. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    VP wrote:

    >>so old skool is the equivilent of being stupid now?
    >>
    >>i cant keep up with the times, and the damn ass jargon
    >

    > I knew I would dig out silly comments.

    That wasn't a silly comment in the slightest. Riding without a helmet is stupid and if you want to
    argue the point, you're in for a long ride...

  8. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "Mitch pollard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, judging from your posts many of you have alot of expirience and knowledge on this amazing life
    > style. Being new to it. i am just
    learning.
    > be kind.
    >
    > I have a bike I really like at the moment. I need a helmet. something that
    > can perhaps use in competition XC not downhill. and also ride on the
    street
    > with. I am liking the Giro Animas and e2, They are very pricey and rare in my city (Perth Western
    > Australia) just wondering. If any of you could perhaps tell me some alternatives. I do think the
    > giros design is very
    nice.
    > are they worth the price tag ? any help would be muchly appreciated..
    thanks

    You really do need to try one on to decide if it's worth it or not, as Penny said. Different helmets
    fit quite differently, try to find a shop that carries Giro.

    I like the Giro fit system, I've had a few other low end helmets from Bell and Trek, and while
    they "fit" they didn't fit as well as the Giro I have now. And I have to disagree about not
    getting one that "looks cool." If I'm going to wear a beer cooler on my head I want to at least
    buy one that I like. All helmets look pretty dumb IMO, but if you can fool yourself into liking
    one design, go for it.

    Chris

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Mitch pollard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, judging from your posts many of you have alot of expirience and knowledge on this amazing life
    > style. Being new to it. i am just learning. be kind.
    >
    > I have a bike I really like at the moment. I need a helmet. something that i can perhaps use in
    > competition XC not downhill. and also ride on the street with. I am liking the Giro Animas and e2,
    > They are very pricey and rare in my city (Perth Western Australia) just wondering. If any of you
    > could perhaps tell me some alternatives. I do think the giros design is very nice. are they worth
    > the price tag ? any help would be muchly appreciated.. thanks

    Certain brands seem to fit one's nugget better than others. If Giro works well for you, ty
    the Mojave.

    JD

  10. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0FB9AA.41BEE%[email protected]...
    > David L,
    >
    > > so old skool is the equivilent of being stupid now?
    > >
    > > i cant keep up with the times, and the damn ass jargon
    >
    > I knew I would dig out silly comments.

    But did you have to post them?

    Matt

  11. Vp

    Vp Guest

    bomba,

    > That wasn't a silly comment in the slightest. Riding without a helmet is stupid and if you want to
    > argue the point, you're in for a long ride...

    Relax, freak. I said it to kick up a comment. You fell into it.

  12. Vp

    Vp Guest

    MattB,

    > But did you have to post them?

    Considering about 50% of this newsgroup is fluff, what's the difference?

  13. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    ctg wrote:

    > I like the Giro fit system, I've had a few other low end helmets from Bell and Trek, and while
    > they "fit" they didn't fit as well as the Giro I have now. And I have to disagree about not
    > getting one that "looks cool." If I'm going to wear a beer cooler on my head I want to at least
    > buy one that I like. All helmets look pretty dumb IMO, but if you can fool yourself into liking
    > one design, go for it.

    A helmet is only useful if you use it. You're more inclined to wear one if it's nice.

  14. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "Mitch pollard" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a bike I really like at the moment. I need a helmet. something that
    > can perhaps use in competition XC not downhill. and also ride on the
    street
    > with. I am liking the Giro Animas and e2, They are very pricey and rare in my city (Perth Western
    > Australia) just wondering. If any of you could perhaps tell me some alternatives. I do think the
    > giros design is very
    nice.
    > are they worth the price tag ? any help would be muchly appreciated..
    thanks

    I hava an Animas and it is no more functional than my old Giro Skyline, it justs costs three
    times as much.

    -Dave "that was a stupid purchase" Stocker

  15. Kent

    Kent Guest

    "VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0FCF88.41C2D%[email protected]...
    > MattB,
    >
    > > But did you have to post them?
    >
    > Considering about 50% of this newsgroup is fluff, what's the difference?

    Ladies! Please lets rise above our petty differences. Think of yourselves of 'bastions of news
    group biking.

    What you need is a Met ANAXAGORE. Lots of vents, excellent air flow through the inside, removable
    pads ( for washing ) and looks cool ( I think ). Don't forget the easy to say name. One of my riding
    buddies now calls me the lizard man due to the design. The drawback is the huge vents are a complete
    bug and twig trap. Can be too cold on cold days, DOH! so wear a bandanna. An excellent comment above
    was the "one that fits", and fits well, of course some speed striping would help

    Kent

  16. Kent

    Kent Guest

    "James Messick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The Bell I got at Walmart looks and fits well, and it was cheap. The one whose fit I liked the
    > best is actually a youth model, but a little head is nice.

    Ho Ho Ho, very true

    Kent

  17. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  18. troyq

    troyq New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2003
    All helmets in Oz must also pass a standard as well... so really the price difference is all about the brand and optional extras (padding, vents etc).

    For me, most important thing(s) are the straps (adjustability) and the padding (if they are durable, thick and replaceable)

    Honestly, who cares about vents as long as some sort of holes are there? Has anyone here ever stopped half way up a hill because their head is a little sweaty?? I know I havent.

    My noggin has been saved more times than i care to think about and I haven't spent more than $120 AUD on any helmet (my current MET one) so as others have said... if it fits good, its good enough.