Helmet advice.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mitch Pollard, Jun 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, judging from your posts many of you have alot of expirience and knowledge on this amazing life
    style. Being new to it. i am just learning. be kind.

I have a bike I really like at the moment. I need a helmet. something that i can perhaps use in
    competition XC not downhill. and also ride on the street with. I am liking the Giro Animas and e2,
    They are very pricey and rare in my city (Perth Western Australia) just wondering. If any of you
    could perhaps tell me some alternatives. I do think the giros design is very nice. are they worth
    the price tag ? any help would be muchly appreciated.. thanks

Tags:

2. Penny S.

Penny S. Guest

Mitch pollard thoughtfully penned:
    > Hi, judging from your posts many of you have alot of expirience and knowledge on this amazing life
    > style. Being new to it. i am just learning. be kind.
    >
    > I have a bike I really like at the moment. I need a helmet. something that i can perhaps use in
    > competition XC not downhill. and also ride on the street with. I am liking the Giro Animas and e2,
    > They are very pricey and rare in my city (Perth Western Australia) just wondering. If any of you
    > could perhaps tell me some alternatives. I do think the giros design is very nice. are they worth
    > the price tag ? any help would be muchly appreciated.. thanks

get the one that FITS not the one that looks coolest... sheesh...

penny

3. Vp

Vp Guest

Penny S.,

> get the one that FITS not the one that looks coolest... sheesh...

Or be old skool and don't wear one.

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

4. Raptor

Raptor Guest

Mitch pollard wrote:
    > Hi, judging from your posts many of you have alot of expirience and knowledge on this amazing life
    >
    > I have a bike I really like at the moment. I need a helmet. something that i can perhaps use in
    > competition XC not downhill. and also ride on the street with. I am liking the Giro Animas and e2,
    > They are very pricey and rare in my city (Perth Western Australia) just wondering. If any of you
    > could perhaps tell me some alternatives. I do think the giros design is very nice. are they worth
    >
    >

More expensive helmets tend to have better ventilation. That's about the only reliable difference.
    That's in the US, where all helmets now pass safety regulations.

--
    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

5. David L

David L Guest

"VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0F6A63.41A7A%[email protected]...
    > Penny S.,
    >
    > > get the one that FITS not the one that looks coolest... sheesh...
    >
    > Or be old skool and don't wear one.

so old skool is the equivilent of being stupid now?

i cant keep up with the times, and the damn ass jargon

>
    >
    >
    > -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

6. Vp

Vp Guest

David L,

> so old skool is the equivilent of being stupid now?
    >
    > i cant keep up with the times, and the damn ass jargon

I knew I would dig out silly comments.

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

7. Bomba

Bomba Guest

VP wrote:

>>so old skool is the equivilent of being stupid now?
    >>
    >>i cant keep up with the times, and the damn ass jargon
    >
    >
    > I knew I would dig out silly comments.

That wasn't a silly comment in the slightest. Riding without a helmet is stupid and if you want to
    argue the point, you're in for a long ride...

8. Ctg

Ctg Guest

"Mitch pollard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > style. Being new to it. i am just
    learning.
    > be kind.
    >
    > I have a bike I really like at the moment. I need a helmet. something that
    i
    > can perhaps use in competition XC not downhill. and also ride on the
    street
    > with. I am liking the Giro Animas and e2, They are very pricey and rare in my city (Perth Western
    > Australia) just wondering. If any of you could perhaps tell me some alternatives. I do think the
    > giros design is very
    nice.
    > are they worth the price tag ? any help would be muchly appreciated..
    thanks
    >

You really do need to try one on to decide if it's worth it or not, as Penny said. Different helmets
    fit quite differently, try to find a shop that carries Giro.

I like the Giro fit system, I've had a few other low end helmets from Bell and Trek, and while
    they "fit" they didn't fit as well as the Giro I have now. And I have to disagree about not
    getting one that "looks cool." If I'm going to wear a beer cooler on my head I want to at least
    buy one that I like. All helmets look pretty dumb IMO, but if you can fool yourself into liking
    one design, go for it.

Chris

9. Jd

Jd Guest

"Mitch pollard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    >

Certain brands seem to fit one's nugget better than others. If Giro works well for you, ty
    the Mojave.

JD

10. Mattb

Mattb Guest

"VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0FB9AA.41BEE%[email protected]...
    > David L,
    >
    > > so old skool is the equivilent of being stupid now?
    > >
    > > i cant keep up with the times, and the damn ass jargon
    >
    > I knew I would dig out silly comments.
    >

But did you have to post them?

Matt

11. Vp

Vp Guest

bomba,

> That wasn't a silly comment in the slightest. Riding without a helmet is stupid and if you want to
    > argue the point, you're in for a long ride...

Relax, freak. I said it to kick up a comment. You fell into it.

12. Vp

Vp Guest

MattB,

> But did you have to post them?

Considering about 50% of this newsgroup is fluff, what's the difference?

13. Bomba

Bomba Guest

ctg wrote:

> I like the Giro fit system, I've had a few other low end helmets from Bell and Trek, and while
    > they "fit" they didn't fit as well as the Giro I have now. And I have to disagree about not
    > getting one that "looks cool." If I'm going to wear a beer cooler on my head I want to at least
    > buy one that I like. All helmets look pretty dumb IMO, but if you can fool yourself into liking
    > one design, go for it.

A helmet is only useful if you use it. You're more inclined to wear one if it's nice.

14. Dave Stocker

Dave Stocker Guest

"Mitch pollard" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I have a bike I really like at the moment. I need a helmet. something that
    i
    > can perhaps use in competition XC not downhill. and also ride on the
    street
    > with. I am liking the Giro Animas and e2, They are very pricey and rare in my city (Perth Western
    > Australia) just wondering. If any of you could perhaps tell me some alternatives. I do think the
    > giros design is very
    nice.
    > are they worth the price tag ? any help would be muchly appreciated..
    thanks
    >

I hava an Animas and it is no more functional than my old Giro Skyline, it justs costs three
    times as much.

-Dave "that was a stupid purchase" Stocker

15. Kent

Kent Guest

"VP" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB0FCF88.41C2D%[email protected]...
    > MattB,
    >
    > > But did you have to post them?
    >
    > Considering about 50% of this newsgroup is fluff, what's the difference?
    >

Ladies! Please lets rise above our petty differences. Think of yourselves of 'bastions of news
    group biking.

What you need is a Met ANAXAGORE. Lots of vents, excellent air flow through the inside, removable
    pads ( for washing ) and looks cool ( I think ). Don't forget the easy to say name. One of my riding
    buddies now calls me the lizard man due to the design. The drawback is the huge vents are a complete
    bug and twig trap. Can be too cold on cold days, DOH! so wear a bandanna. An excellent comment above
    was the "one that fits", and fits well, of course some speed striping would help

Kent

16. Kent

Kent Guest

"James Messick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > The Bell I got at Walmart looks and fits well, and it was cheap. The one whose fit I liked the
    > best is actually a youth model, but a little head is nice.
    >
    Ho Ho Ho, very true

Kent

17. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

18. troyq

troyq New Member

All helmets in Oz must also pass a standard as well... so really the price difference is all about the brand and optional extras (padding, vents etc).

For me, most important thing(s) are the straps (adjustability) and the padding (if they are durable, thick and replaceable)

Honestly, who cares about vents as long as some sort of holes are there? Has anyone here ever stopped half way up a hill because their head is a little sweaty?? I know I havent.

My noggin has been saved more times than i care to think about and I haven't spent more than $120 AUD on any helmet (my current MET one) so as others have said... if it fits good, its good enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.