Helmet and accident experience, round helmet seems better

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doug, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Patty & Doug

    Patty & Doug Guest

    I agree they seem to be a mixed blessing. We were riding the "H connecter" trail near Dayton (also
    called the Dayton to Xenia trail) AFTER Labor Day when a dumb young cross country coach in Beaver
    Creek, OH decided to use it as a Cross Country training run for the entire team! To make matters
    worse she decided they needed a practice race! They ran right into my wife, knocking her off the
    bike causing a concussion! One of the mothers of the team who was a nurse REFUSED to even look at my
    wife. Later learned from the bike shop that this Beaver Creek team was known for pulling that kind
    of stunts! These are great trails except for running through that *&?.%#$% town!

    My wife had one of the newer style helmets on that protected her in the fall, but not from the kicks
    news:[email protected]...

  2. (Pete Cresswell) <[email protected]> wrote:
    >RE/
    >>I'm not convinced helmets would help much at all in most bike accidents and have never worn one.
    >I had an outlook something like that for about 20 years. Did a *lot* of road miles thinking that if
    >I can't feel the wind in my hair, what's the point?

    Please. If you must post "helmet saved my life" anecdotes, take it to rec.bicycles.misc.

  3. John Albergo

    John Albergo Guest

    Doug wrote:

    > For me there is no question: I don't care about the better styling of the slick helmets with
    > pointed rears (and sides too). It'll be strictly round shapes for me.
    >
    >Doug

    An even more important lesson - recreational paths are no place to be if you want to travel at
    uninterrupted speed. Pets, children, and even puttering adults don't understand the reaction and
    intercept times involved for someone approaching them at speed nor are they expecting speed. And if
    they do realize your speed seeing you approach that fast can make them lose whatever tenuous control
    they had over their trajectory. Expect exactly the wrong move at exactly the wrong time. When
    encountering traffic on a "bike path" evaluate their awareness carefully and adjust your speed
    accordingly.