Helmet Bling....

the Atmos is a whale of a good helmet. I did an about face. Bought the Bell Ghisallo on E-bay for half the price. The Atmos may be a bit better helmet..certainly lighter. Good choice on the color with the matte black...I considered it as well. Instead went with the red and grey highlights to match my new Biance Veloce...not exactly the same red but close enough :cool:
George

...an update on the Bell Ghisallo which I am very pleased with for almost half the price of the Atmos. I like the aesthetics as well as the fit. A word about the fit...I toiled with which size to get because I measure right in between sizing which is 23 1/4"...max range for Medium and min. range for Large. I was coached and opted for the Large which was the right choice....the helmet has no problem adjusting down to my head size and better this way in particular if I run a head band in cold weather for a bit more expandability which the Medium with my head size couldn't accomodate. Plus I like the large shell size which fits nicely down on my head and not on top. The one hand fit system is superb...really grabs my head even without the chin strap in place which must always be worn. Wanted to provide this insight to those like myself that are between sizes.
George

I notice in this forum how weight is such an issue in helmets and how you can buy helmets that weigh grams more for a fraction of the price. The thing that is not understood is the ventilation in the Atmos in comparison to the cheaper helmets. I originaly used an older giro model that was nor much heavier than the atmos. When I put the atmos on the first thing I realized was the air being forced onto my head and cooling me off much more. Another great thing in the giro atmos and other giro helmets is the in-mold design which allows the helmet to fit almost ant head. With 26 vents I think that the Atmos is a great helmet and I highly reccomend it.

Cheap helmets are for cheap heads...

Seriously, there are three things I never scrimp on with my bikes: tires, brakes, and helmets. The failure of any of those three can have serious consequences.

I splurged and bought the Giro Atmos Lone Star edition, partially because it's about the best cycling helmet you can get, and (super poseur here) partially because it matched my gold bike. Oh, I'm really pimp daddy now.

i prefer the monochromatic look. it doesnt beg for attention when i am just riding around/going to work, and come race day i can through on some racing stripes with electric tape.

I just bought me and my wife Atmos helmets. Hers is matte black and mine's the '04 model black with yellow highlights. One thing I noticed about the sizing is before using Atmos, I used to have the LARGE size Pneumo and when trying out sizes, I can easily fit on a MEDIUM Atmos. Both have same size measurements, but somehow I just cant fit on a M Pneumo, strange...

I have the pneumo 04 version. Mine is red, white, and blue. I really didn't know that it was a Lance edition until I saw an ad in a magazine with him wearing the helmet. I bought it because it looks nice and I like the USA flag colors together. Also, since I live in a very conservative town in Indiana, I thought it might get me a little more respect from the pickup drivin, gun rack, Bush lovin folks around here. Doesn't seem to have worked though. Maybe its the spandex they don't like?

duke said:
I got an '04 Bell Ghisallo for $45 and am happy as a clam. The Atmos is really sweet but I can't get myself to shell out anywhere near MSRP for it. My old helmet is a $70 '92 Bell Image pro, one of the first with the fused shell, and it looked pretty slick at the time. But compared to the ghisallo, the vents are tiny and few and it looks like an all-around kids helment from toys 'r us. Yeah, it was old and abused. I thought it was time for a new helmet.
Just an aside to this topic. It's worth noting that the energy absobing EPS or EPP foam in helmets deteriorates over time, no matter how well it's been cared for. Obviously, that means its ability to protect your head deteriorates too. The general rule for motorcycle helmets is replace every three to five years. I assume that since the technology is the same, the same rule would apply to bicycle helmets. Thirteen years is way out of the range - especially considering the abuse, as you say. Glad to hear you replaced it!

I bought a Giro Pneumo helmet.....great helmet in my opinion, and it keeps my head much cooler than my previous helmet.

Since I have a dark grey - black Trek bike, I of course bought the dark grey version of the Pneumo.

JohnO said:
Cheap helmets are for cheap heads...
Nonsense. Even the cheapest Schwinn helmet from Wal-Mart will do equally well in protecting your head, providing you get it fitted right. I upgraded from a $15 no name brand helmet sold through my health club to an '04 model red & white Giro Eclipse almost entirely for the bling. I thought the added vents would make a difference but I don't notice it as much as I expected to. But I didn't want to be the guy with the cheapest bike, helmet AND wardrobe at my local club rides. So I upgraded my helmet.