Helmet brands

MidBunchLurker said:
Another vote for MET.

I've got a MET 5th Element. IMHO the most well ventilated helmet in existance. And it has saved my skull too - I tested it by crashing on my head at 35km/h. Helmet had a big crack through it, but my skull was still intact.
Uncanny, I'm in the market for a new Lid, just crashed on my Met Jetstream, hit a car at 30Mph and landed on my melon, split the helmet and never even had concussion.

Just having a look on the interweb and there are so many helmets, it's difficult to choose without trying them on.

Currently looking at the Strad by Met and the Pneumo, but never considered Bell at all. Will have to try and find a local dealer that does them.

i was in your position a month ago.

I only wanted to spend A$50 but found that they didnt fit right, so i stepped up to the A$100 range and found one that was very close to to what i wanted. It was A$110, fusion molded, looked good, but although the fit on my cold head was just fine, it wouldnt accomodate for a hot head (natural swelling)

So i searched more and ended up with a Giro E2, it was the best fit, i am extremely happy with the ventilation and best of all i picked it up for only $150 of ebay Brand new!

I have a Limar F105, and have for some years. It's gorgeous, lightweight, breathable, and fits my head perfectly. Highly recommended.

On December 2nd I was hit by a car while riding wearing my Giros Pneumo. I flew into the air on impact, came down first on my arm and than my head hit the ground....smack in the back....near the brain. My arm and leg were broken, my ribs bruised badly along with several other places. The helmet was cracked and the strapping torn (probably from my body being dragged on the ground), my Rudy's had lost the lenses from one of the impacts, but my head and brain were intact. I healed relatively quickly and am actually even doing light intervals on my trainer, the first thing I replaced was the helmet, with the only helmet I knew of that may even be better...a Giros Atmos. In my EXPERIENCE....and OPINION, anyone who advises another that "helmets are all the same" or at all insignificant, IS A FOOL and is taking a luxury with someone elses wellbeing that none of us can afford.

Even if I am wrong, the benefits of "what if" the helmet is better is worth far more than the $200 spent on the helmet, ask your loved ones if they wouldnt agree and than ride safe!

Too bad we can't get MET's here in the US. Yet another reason to leave!

I've been using a Giro 'Once' Boreas for almost 6 years now because:

#1- it fits so well
#2- looks good
#3- lightweight

I've replaced the pads a couple of times, and the straps are just starting to get kind of raggedy now. I'm looking to replace it with a Shain BK100 if it fits me well, as I don't care for the latest Giro's. The Briko Solo would be another choice.

Here's a link for the Shain's:

http://www.thorusa.com/shain1.htm

why cant you guys in the USA get MET helmets??:confused:

Im happy to send over some! just PM me.

GLO said:
why cant you guys in the USA get MET helmets??:confused:

Im happy to send over some! just PM me.
I'm not sure why GLO, but I think it has something to do with not passing US safety standards or such.(?) But who knows? Most likely some political/trade agreement BS.

Meh, I say if they're good enough for the Euro and Aussie pros, they're good enough to protect my gourd. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind a Stradivarious tho. Check yer PM's.