Helmet Camcorders

Fahrrad

Dec 27, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with helmet cams, or handlebar mounted camcorders? It looks like the GoPro line is at the top of the list, but I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cost. Do people actually use them all that much after the initial fascination wears off? Are the sub-$100 models a waste of money? I have read that they're pretty good, but this seems counter-intuitive, especially if the recording is to be viewed with any clarity beyond a large thumbnail. What key features should I be looking for?

I have used the cameras supplied by DogCam. This is supposed to be the same equipment the UK police use as personal cameras. Not used them on the bike but in a L car when I was instructing. One viewing the inside of the car & one viewing forward. Never did have an incident when using the cameras but I'd purchased them due to the stupid things other drivers would do purely because it was a L-school car.

I'm thinking of setting one up as a helmet cam for when I do go out 'on the road'.

I was a CCTV installer for many years & in that time I proved to myself that the only way to get good pictures was to use good cameras and pay the extra. I used to install & hire covert CCTV equipment & in most cases the police would make comments of 'I wish we had this quality of image every time, often it's hard to tell if they are male or female'. Fifteen years ago I would buy a Hitachi camera costing £600 ex.VAT. A salesman offered me a (genuine) Hitachi camera (looking almost identical to the £600 one) for £120 & offered to demo it for me, I looked at the back & told him I would have them if he payed me £20 to take one. Specs were similar but picture quality of the £120 was the pits. You pay for what you get.

Specs. can be very misleading as two cameras with similar specs. can give pictures that are a mile apart in quality & it's normally the dearer and/or 'named brand' cameras that perform the best.

The recordings I did in daytime with the DogCams would display full screen on a 26" wide-screen TV & give the quality you'd expect from a digital hard-drive camcorder from the likes of Sony, JVC, Panasonic etc.

Look for a camera

that will output video at 720p or more & 30fps
is small but not tiny (yes size does matter), larger camera often have better quality of lens & lens quality is important. **** lens = **** picture.
study, well built (metal?) units. Manufactures don't normally put good guts in a cheap & nasty case. If it looks good then it probably is.

Sorry if the post is a bit long winded but from my CCTV experience YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, PAY CHEAP PRICE & YOU GET CHEAP KIT.

My advice is if you are going to get a headcam the pay the money to get a good one. Even now I'd be thinking in the region of £150 for a camera, not sure how much that is in $ but could be around $240 ($100=£60=**** CAMERA)

Here is a link to the DogCam site http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/

Thanks, Mak'em Lad! This is the type of info that I am looking for. If I get a unit that's too cheap, I'll stop using it, and end up with nothing. If the only way to go is high end, I can reassess my need/want, and it will either be put on my birthday list, or shoved aside for the next cool fantasy. But an informed decision is my first step.
Cheers!

I think its Felt Rider that's posted quite a few ride videos from a helmet cam on here.

Look in the "killing me...." and "are we there yet?" threads in the cycle training section or look on his blog.

If you like the quality then I'm sure he'll be more than happy to share the details of what he's got.

I own a viosport adventure cam, it is an external lens which uses your personal camcorder as the recording device. I did a tonn of research before deciding on this camera and I'm very happy with my decision. I use it both summer & winter for everything from road biking, mtn biking, atv mud bogs, snowboarding, snowmobiling, etc and the picture quality is amazing. The only problem I've encountered using a helmet camera is on rough trails at high speed (4 wheelers) the video turns out shaky, never had a problem with bike videos though and this has nothing to do with the helmet cam itself. If you can still find one for sale or something else with an equivalent quality lens (I think Vio-sport quit making them) I would strongly suggest this route. I just put my camcorder in a camelback, mount the camera on my helmet and go, very simple.

Good luck, hope this helps.