Helmet camera ideas: URGENT!

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:31:50 -0800, "Slacker" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Brett Jaffee wrote:
>
>> Just to clarify, what I am looking for is information about what is
>> decent lipstick-type camera that can be mounted on a helmet. Something that costs between $100-
>> 200. There are tons of these
type
>> things out there and it's hard to figure out what is or isn't suitable.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>

>http://www.viosport.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16145&cat=&page=&XCARTSESSID=1e4effbc-
>1ca54fa1e12d807881be77ff

What a load of ********.

"Technologically superior to any helmet cam on the market, ...high resolution (380 TV lines)"

LOL.

Slacker found this in the back of the refrigerator:
> Brett Jaffee wrote:
>
>> Just to clarify, what I am looking for is information about what is a decent lipstick-type camera
>> that can be mounted on a helmet. Something that costs between $100-200. There are tons of these
>> type things out there and it's hard to figure out what is or isn't suitable.
>>
>> Thanks again.

http://www.viosport.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16145&cat=&page=&XCARTSESSID=1e4effbc1-
ca54fa1e12d807881be77ff

are you a little late with that?

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in news:T05Fb.39051$hf1.14894@lakeread06:
>
> > Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Really...Take a look at the prices on the typical lipstick cameras. They cost $100-200. THATS
> >> WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. In the future, if you want to make another unhelpful smart-ass
> >> comment and not look like an idiot in the process, I suggest you do some more research.
> >
> > .....and that's what Perre was talking about too before you went off in a snit. Your OP talked
> > about wanting to spend about $150. He replied that $150 will cover the cost of a good helmet.
> > Sooooooo.....anything you buy beyond just the helmet is going to put you beyond your ballpark
> > $150. Particularly if you start mounting a $100-200 lipstick camera (your figure, I'll take your
> > word for it) on it. Okay Einstein, now do the math. Unless you're going to use duct tape, you're
> > going to have to up your baseline price. That was the point our friend Perre was getting at.
> > Apparently you were too obtuse to figure that out on your own, though I'll politely refrain from
> > labeling you as the idiot, after all it is the Christmas season. So is this YOUR idea of
> > research?
>
> Jesus, it just isn't that complicated. I was asking about the price of a camera...PERIOD.
> THAT'S IT.

Just thank your lucky stars, you were not posting this to a roadie group.

Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote:
> "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in news:T05Fb.39051$hf1.14894@lakeread06:
>
>> Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Really...Take a look at the prices on the typical lipstick cameras. They cost $100-200. THATS
>>> WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. In the future, if you want to make another unhelpful smart-ass comment
>>> and not look like an idiot in the process, I suggest you do some more research.
>>
>> .....and that's what Perre was talking about too before you went off in a snit. Your OP talked
>> about wanting to spend about $150. He replied that $150 will cover the cost of a good helmet.
>> Sooooooo.....anything you buy beyond just the helmet is going to put you beyond your ballpark
>> $150. Particularly if you start mounting a $100-200 lipstick camera (your figure, I'll take your
>> word for it) on it. Okay Einstein, now do the math. Unless you're going to use duct tape, you're
>> going to have to up your baseline price. That was the point our friend Perre was getting at.
>> Apparently you were too obtuse to figure that out on your own, though I'll politely refrain from
>> labeling you as the idiot, after all it is the Christmas season. So is this YOUR idea of
>> research?
>
> Jesus, it just isn't that complicated. I was asking about the price of a camera...PERIOD.
> THAT'S IT.

That may be what you meant, but what you wrote was:

"Can anyone give me some info or links on a good setup for the camera (obviously we need a recording
device/camcorder as well, but that's another issue)? We weren't talking about anything high-
end...maybe around $150?"

From the words above, it sounds like you are looking for ways to mount the camera, vice info for a
purchase. Particularly since you state that the camera is "another issue." At this point its clear
what you're after, but only after 3-4 posts. It probably wasn't that complicated to start, but your
lack of clarity in your writing did, in fact, complicate the issue. You compounded the error by
snapping back at those who understood what you actually wrote vice what you meant to write.

I'm relatively new here myself, but have learned that the folks here are generally pleasant and
somewhat intelligent. Just don't show your ass the first time you pop up out of the ether or else
it will get handed to you. Frankly, that's one of the things that keeps this NG interesting.

Merry Christmas

Tom

P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:31:50 -0800, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Brett Jaffee wrote:
>>
>>> Just to clarify, what I am looking for is information about what is a decent lipstick-type
>>> camera that can be mounted on a helmet. Something that costs between $100-200. There are tons of
>>> these type things out there and it's hard to figure out what is or isn't suitable.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.

http://www.viosport.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16145&cat=&page=&XCARTSESSID=1e4effbc1-
ca54fa1e12d807881be77ff

> What a load of ********.
>
> "Technologically superior to any helmet cam on the market, ...high resolution (380 TV lines)"
>
> LOL.

hehehe... hey, if the fool wants a technically inferior helmet cam, let him get one.
--
Slacker

Penny S wrote:
> Slacker found this in the back of the refrigerator:
>> Brett Jaffee wrote:
>>
>>> Just to clarify, what I am looking for is information about what is a decent lipstick-type
>>> camera that can be mounted on a helmet. Something that costs between $100-200. There are tons of
>>> these type things out there and it's hard to figure out what is or isn't suitable.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.

http://www.viosport.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16145&cat=&page=&XCARTSESSID=1e4effbc1-
ca54fa1e12d807881be77ff

> are you a little late with that?

How's that??
--
Slacker

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:17:53 GMT, Brett Jaffee
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My friend and I were talking about doing some helmet cam stuff for riding...his wife overheard and
>now she wants to get him a camera for Xmas, so I'm doing a bit of research on this for her.
>Obviously time is short!
>
>Can anyone give me some info or links on a good setup for the camera (obviously we need a recording
>device/camcorder as well, but that's another issue)? We weren't talking about anything high-
>end...maybe around $150?

200 dollars will get you a lipstick CAMERA...you then need a 600-2000 dollar DV recorder

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:44:32 -0600, Joseph Ball
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:17:53 GMT, Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>My friend and I were talking about doing some helmet cam stuff for riding...his wife overheard and
>>now she wants to get him a camera
for Xmas,
>>so I'm doing a bit of research on this for her. Obviously time is
short!

>>Can anyone give me some info or links on a good setup for the camera (obviously we need a
>>recording device/camcorder as well, but that's
another
>>issue)? We weren't talking about anything high-end...maybe around
$150?

>200 dollars will get you a lipstick CAMERA...you then need a 600-2000 dollar DV recorder

That's not true.

Plenty of decent vids have been done using Digital8/Hi8 cameras as the deck.

DV isn't a requirement, expecially for web distribution.

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:25:06 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:44:32 -0600, Joseph Ball <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 20:17:53 GMT, Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>My friend and I were talking about doing some helmet cam stuff for riding...his wife overheard
>>>and now she wants to get him a camera
>for Xmas,
>>>so I'm doing a bit of research on this for her. Obviously time is
>short!
>>>
>>>Can anyone give me some info or links on a good setup for the camera (obviously we need a
>>>recording device/camcorder as well, but that's
>another
>>>issue)? We weren't talking about anything high-end...maybe around
>$150?
>>

>>200 dollars will get you a lipstick CAMERA...you then need a 600-2000 dollar DV recorder
>
>That's not true.
>
>Plenty of decent vids have been done using Digital8/Hi8 cameras as the deck.
>
>DV isn't a requirement, expecially for web distribution.

i stand corrected =)

Joe

P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> What a load of ********.
>
> "Technologically superior to any helmet cam on the market, ...high resolution (380 TV lines)"
>
> LOL.

What's the minimum rez that would be acceptable for decent quality video?

Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Brett Jaffee wrote:
> >> Wow..I bet you really had to think hard about that one.
> >>

> > You didn't seem to think very hard before you replied either. I'll spell it out for you then. "I
> > think this is going to cost you a lot more than you think".
>
> Really...Take a look at the prices on the typical lipstick cameras. They cost $100-200. THATS WHAT
> I WAS TALKING ABOUT

If you were talking about lipstick cameras, then why the hell didn't you state that?

> In the future, if you want to make another unhelpful smart-ass comment and not look like an idiot
> in the process, I suggest you do some more research.

In the future, why don't you ask a proper question if you want a proper answer. Until then, why
don't you go ride off of a cliff? E-diot.

JD

Dave Worthless <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> had this to say
> news:[email protected]
>
> > I guess I always just find it amazing that someone will actually take the time to post a
> > response that has essentially no helpful information. Guess I'm just funny that way. Thanks
> > though.
>
> There ya go, talking bout JD again...shame on you!

snipe snipe snipe hump hump hump

You're pathetic.

JD

[email protected] (JD) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

>> > You didn't seem to think very hard before you replied either. I'll spell it out for you then.
>> > "I think this is going to cost you a lot more than you think".
>>
>> Really...Take a look at the prices on the typical lipstick cameras. They cost $100-200. THATS
>> WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT
>
> If you were talking about lipstick cameras, then why the hell didn't you state that?

"Helmet camera."

>> In the future, if you want to make another unhelpful smart-ass comment and not look like an idiot
>> in the process, I suggest you do some more research.
>
> In the future, why don't you ask a proper question if you want a proper answer. Until then, why
> don't you go ride off of a cliff? E-diot.

See above. I'll be sure to do so with my $150 helmet.

> JD

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Brett Jaffee wrote:
> >> Wow..I bet you really had to think hard about that one.
> >>

> > You didn't seem to think very hard before you replied either. I'll spell it out for you then. "I
> > think this is going to cost you a lot more than you think".
>
> Really...Take a look at the prices on the typical lipstick cameras. They cost $100-200. THATS WHAT
> I WAS TALKING ABOUT. In the future, if you want to make another unhelpful smart-ass comment and
> not look like an idiot in the process, I suggest you do some more research.

Here's a clue: Don't ask a question then start insulting people when the answers aren't what you
expected. Your question was vague - I thought you meant the whole system, too (since that's usually
what is needed). Do you also have a camcorder that's ready for rugged use? Is it a camcorder that
you don't mind trashing in a fall?

Good luck with your helmet cam. I'm sure the cam can be had for under $150; but consider how much
time and effort it may take to custom-rig one. Sometimes the tried-and-true solution is best, even
if it is a little more $$$.

Rocketman (currently working on an S/S conversion....heh)

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:33:20 GMT, Brett Jaffee
<[email protected]> wrote:

>P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> What a load of ********.
>>
>> "Technologically superior to any helmet cam on the market, ...high resolution (380 TV lines)"
>>
>> LOL.
>>

>What's the minimum rez that would be acceptable for decent quality
video?

"acceptable" is a moving target.

If I was buying a lipstick cam now I would spend the extra to get the higher resolution camera.

The results that I have seen are an order of magnitude better. Even on the net.

"Rocketman" <[email protected]> wrote in
's a clue: Don't ask a question then start insulting people when
> the answers aren't what you expected. Your question was vague - I thought you meant the whole
> system, too (since that's usually what is needed). Do you also have a camcorder that's ready for
> rugged use? Is it a camcorder that you don't mind trashing in a fall?

Okay, look, I apologize if I went off half-cocked. However, the initial response to my post seemed
very feticious (sp?), and it didn't appear that the poster wanted to be helpful at all. I made a
smart-ass response to what I had preceived to be his smart-ass reply. If that wasn't the case, then
I'm sorry.

Just for the record I DID say in my original post that the camcorder/recorder device wasn't an
issue...I was only asking about the helmet camera itself. Perhaps that should have been clearer, as
some people might have thought I was implying that I wouldn't need a recording device at all.