Helmet camera ideas: URGENT!

I have been following this thread from the 1st. When I read your post I found it to be inline to
what a newbie would ask. I never found it offensive or vague. I think it was just bad timing. I've
been reading this news group since April / 03. Most replies are positive and a few wise cracks
thrown in for laughs. But it got ugly from the 1st reply and just keep feeding on the negitive.
Brett there are very helpfull people here and I love reading some of the topics. Except for that
extreme poster know as "Mike V". Don't get caught up in his rantings about mountain bikers. Do not
reply to him or risk getting kill filed. Welcome to the world of alt.mountain-bike. Good luck on
your quest for that video cam.

Xtc 2002 Giant AC1

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Rocketman" <[email protected]> wrote in 's a clue: Don't ask a question then start
> insulting people when
> > the answers aren't what you expected. Your question was vague - I thought you meant the whole
> > system, too (since that's usually what is needed). Do you also have a camcorder that's ready for
> > rugged use? Is it a camcorder that you don't mind trashing in a fall?
>
> Okay, look, I apologize if I went off half-cocked. However, the initial response to my post seemed
> very feticious (sp?), and it didn't appear that the poster wanted to be helpful at all. I made a
> smart-ass response to what I had preceived to be his smart-ass reply. If that wasn't the case,
> then I'm sorry.
>
> Just for the record I DID say in my original post that the camcorder/recorder device wasn't an
> issue...I was only asking about the helmet camera itself. Perhaps that should have been clearer,
> as some people might have thought I was implying that I wouldn't need a recording device at all.

"Xtc" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Except for that extreme poster know as "Mike V". Don't get caught up in his rantings about
> mountain bikers. Do not reply to him or risk getting kill filed.

Heh...too late on that one. :)

> Welcome to the world of alt.mountain-bike. Good luck on your quest for that video cam.

Cool, and thanks for the encouragement.

Brett Jaffee wrote:
> My friend and I were talking about doing some helmet cam stuff for riding...his wife overheard and
> now she wants to get him a camera for Xmas, so I'm doing a bit of research on this for her.
> Obviously time is short!
>
> Can anyone give me some info or links on a good setup for the camera (obviously we need a
> recording device/camcorder as well, but that's another issue)? We weren't talking about anything
> high-end...maybe around $150?

I picked up my helmet camera for $30. Just look for color "spy cams" on ebay. The packaging isn't
nearly as nice but it's very workable and it uses the same little microchip as the pricer models so
the quality is very comparable.

Per Elmsäter wrote:
> Brett Jaffee wrote:
>> My friend and I were talking about doing some helmet cam stuff for riding...his wife overheard
>> and now she wants to get him a camera for Xmas, so I'm doing a bit of research on this for her.
>> Obviously time is short!
>>
>> Can anyone give me some info or links on a good setup for the camera (obviously we need a
>> recording device/camcorder as well, but that's another issue)? We weren't talking about anything
>> high-end...maybe around $150?
>
> That'll get you a good helmet.

I've been doing some research since my first reply and I wan't to take it back. I don't think you
should spend all that money on an expensive helmet. I think, instead you should get two decent
helmets at maybe $75 each, since you're liable to either crash or wreck one when drilling all those
holes etc ;)

--
Perre

Why would you need to drill holes in the helmet?

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Per Elmsäter wrote:
>> Brett Jaffee wrote:
>>> My friend and I were talking about doing some helmet cam stuff for riding...his wife overheard
>>> and now she wants to get him a camera for Xmas, so I'm doing a bit of research on this for her.
>>> Obviously time is short!
>>>
>>> Can anyone give me some info or links on a good setup for the camera (obviously we need a
>>> recording device/camcorder as well, but that's another issue)? We weren't talking about anything
>>> high-end...maybe around $150?
>>
>> That'll get you a good helmet.
>
> I've been doing some research since my first reply and I wan't to take it back. I don't think you
> should spend all that money on an expensive helmet. I think, instead you should get two decent
> helmets at maybe $75 each, since you're liable to either crash or wreck one when drilling all
> those holes etc ;)
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Brett Jaffee found this in the back of the refrigerator:
> Why would you need to drill holes in the helmet?

to mount the hardware? What else would you use, duct tape and zip ties?

(ps, see item # 1.2.1 in the faq)

Brett Jaffee wrote:
> Why would you need to drill holes in the helmet?

Never mind (;

--
Perre

Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> >> Really...Take a look at the prices on the typical lipstick cameras. They cost $100-200. THATS
> >> WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT
> >
> > If you were talking about lipstick cameras, then why the hell didn't you state that?
>
> "Helmet camera."

Look at Pete Fagerlin's setup and tell me that's not a "helmet camera". Lipstick camera and helmet
camera are only synonymous to morons.

JD

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Brett Jaffee found this in the back of the refrigerator:
>> Why would you need to drill holes in the helmet?
>>

> to mount the hardware? What else would you use, duct tape and zip ties?

Zip ties is what Pete's site seems to recommend, for a small camera at least.

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Brett Jaffee found this in the back of the refrigerator:
> > Why would you need to drill holes in the helmet?
> >

> to mount the hardware? What else would you use, duct tape and zip ties?

Mine is actually light enough so Velcro works. But notice you haven't seen any videos from it..:)

The camcorder resides in the Camelbak.

Pete

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I guess I always just find it amazing that someone will actually take the time to post a response
> that has essentially no helpful information.
Guess
> I'm just funny that way. Thanks though.
>
> There are obviously tons of video options out there, and there are plenty in the price range I
> stated...perhaps too many. I was hoping that someone who actually used one of these things might
> respond on how they liked them.
>
> I do appreciate the replies that have been helpful.

I put together a sub-$200 helmet cam setup.

8mm Sony Camcorder on eBay - $140 Pixara camera on closeout - $38
http://www.pixera.com/PixeraCatalog/picolo/picolo.htm Battery pack parts - $5 @ Radio Shack Clips
for the cam wire - $2 @ Radio Shack Velcro for mounting - $1

Overall picture quality - average.

The cam tied for "Best Digital Camera" at Comdex '98. http://www.acmeinternet.com/comdex/fall98/
It's good for well lit indoor situations. Not so good for fast motion.

You get what you pay for.

Pete

[email protected] (JD) wrote in

> Look at Pete Fagerlin's setup and tell me that's not a "helmet camera". Lipstick camera and helmet
> camera are only synonymous to morons.
>
> JD

Sure it is, but if you had bothered to actually read the original post, you'd see that I said that a
camcorder was not an an issue. If you eliminate that component...what else is left aside from
batteries and wires? Just a small camera.

Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in
>
>> Look at Pete Fagerlin's setup and tell me that's not a "helmet camera". Lipstick camera and
>> helmet camera are only synonymous to morons.
>>
>> JD
>
> Sure it is, but if you had bothered to actually read the original post, you'd see that I said that
> a camcorder was not an an issue. If you eliminate that component...what else is left aside from
> batteries and wires? Just a small camera.

Reread your own original post ya dumbass. What you asked for was info on camera set-up. Here, let me
quote it for you: "Can anyone give me some info or links on a good setup for the camera..." You made
no mention of a lipstick camera. That left several possibilities as to what you were looking for.
You could very well have been asking about one of these. http://tinyurl.com/2m8ze I think that's
what several of us were thinking of when after reading your OP.

YOU knew exactly what you wanted to know, but that doesn't mean Richard if you can't spell it out in
simple English. Rather than accuse people of idiocy, try and communicate a bit more effectively from
the start. This is a forum for the written word. If you can't communicate in that medium, then check
out www.mbtr.com, that may be more your style.

Tom (amb literary critic)

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote

> Sure it is, but if you had bothered to actually read the original post, you'd see that I said that
> a camcorder was not an an issue. If you eliminate that component...what else is left aside from
> batteries and wires? Just a small camera.

"good setup" generally implies the entire deal. cam + recording device + batteries + mount.
Sometimes the cam and recording device is the same unit. Sometimes not.

Pete

Good info, thanks Pete.

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I put together a sub-$200 helmet cam setup.
>
> 8mm Sony Camcorder on eBay - $140 Pixara camera on closeout - $38
> http://www.pixera.com/PixeraCatalog/picolo/picolo.htm Battery pack parts - $5 @ Radio Shack Clips
> for the cam wire - $2 @ Radio Shack Velcro for mounting - $1
>
> Overall picture quality - average.
>
> The cam tied for "Best Digital Camera" at Comdex '98. http://www.acmeinternet.com/comdex/fall98/
> It's good for well lit indoor situations. Not so good for fast motion.
>
> You get what you pay for.
>
> Pete

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Brett Jaffee wrote:
> >> Wow..I bet you really had to think hard about that one.
> >>

> > You didn't seem to think very hard before you replied either. I'll spell it out for you then. "I
> > think this is going to cost you a lot more than you think".
>
> Really...Take a look at the prices on the typical lipstick cameras. They cost $100-200. THATS WHAT
> I WAS TALKING ABOUT. In the future, if you want to make another unhelpful smart-ass comment and
> not look like an idiot in the process, I suggest you do some more research.

Here's a clue: Don't ask a question then start insulting people when the answers aren't what you
expected. Your question was vague - I thought you meant the whole system, too (since that's usually
what is needed). Do you also have a camcorder that's ready for rugged use? Is it a camcorder that
you don't mind trashing in a fall?

Good luck with your helmet cam. I'm sure the cam can be had for under $150; but consider how much
time and effort it may take to custom-rig one. Sometimes the tried-and-true solution is best, even
if it is a little more $$$.

Rocketman (currently working on an S/S conversion....heh)

> Here's a clue: Don't ask a question then start insulting people when the answers aren't what you
> expected.

Point taken, but even now, I don't think the poster ($150 helmet) ever intended to post helpful
information. I just think one smart-ass remark deserves another (that's not directed at you, btw).

>Your question was vague - I thought you meant the whole system, too (since that's usually what is
>needed). Do you also have a camcorder that's ready for rugged use? Is it a camcorder that you don't
>mind trashing in a fall?

The camcorder is somewhat up in the air (which is why I had said I didn't want to make an issue of
it in the orig. post). I have an older camcorder with A/V inputs that I wouldn't mind putting to the
test (I've previously used it to record on-board video transmited from a radio control sailplane).
It would certainly work, but it's somewhat large, and prolly wouldn't fit in a typical camel back. A
larger backpack would be in order. Camcorders seem to come pretty cheaply these days though, at
least the non- digital variety, and my friend (who would be getting the helmet cam as a gift) said
he might be in the market for one anyway.

> Good luck with your helmet cam. I'm sure the cam can be had for under $150; but consider how much
> time and effort it may take to custom-rig one. Sometimes the tried-and-true solution is best, even
> if it is a little more $$$.

When all was said and done, I didn't get a lot of information about specific mini-cams. Not
suprising regardless of the circumstances, as there are so many out there, I guess. In the end, I
recommended to my buddy's wife that she check out the setups at www.helmetcamera.com. I have a
feeling the kits are somewhat overpriced compared to if you built a setup yourself. However, this
was supposed to be an Xmas gift, so time is obviously very short.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 05:39:43 GMT, "Rocketman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

Do you
>also have a camcorder that's ready for rugged use?

Which manufacturer is marketing/designinig a camcorder for "rugged use"?

Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in
>
> > Look at Pete Fagerlin's setup and tell me that's not a "helmet camera". Lipstick camera and
> > helmet camera are only synonymous to morons.
> >
> > JD
>
> Sure it is, but if you had bothered to actually read the original post, you'd see that I said that
> a camcorder was not an an issue. If you eliminate that component...what else is left aside from
> batteries and wires? Just a small camera.

Keep flailing, e-diot. You can't go back and fix your original post, except in your own feeble mind.

JD

[email protected] (JD) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> [email protected] (JD) wrote in
>>
>> > Look at Pete Fagerlin's setup and tell me that's not a "helmet camera". Lipstick camera and
>> > helmet camera are only synonymous to morons.
>> >
>> > JD
>>
>> Sure it is, but if you had bothered to actually read the original post, you'd see that I said
>> that a camcorder was not an an issue. If you eliminate that component...what else is left aside
>> from batteries and wires? Just a small camera.
>
> Keep flailing, e-diot. You can't go back and fix your original post, except in your own
> feeble mind.
>
> JD

Which part of "the camcorder/recording device is not an issue" do you not understand? Perhaps if you
tell me, I can be more clear next time.