Helmet cameras... Does anybody know this brand?

danfoz

Apr 12, 2011
Saw this video on YT, really curious if anyone is familiar with the vid cam he's shooting with?

Folks have asked him but he's tight lipped and not giving away his secret.

Btw, this has got to one of the best crit finishes I've ever seen. If you are having a hard time with the soundtrack fast forward to the last coupla minutes. Amazing last corner by the winner!

Not sure but its a wide angle lens camera. Maybe even less then 35mm.

I am suspecting one of the GoPro ones. I have seen some Youtube videos from these cameras and they are also wide angle lens ones.

I use the Contour HD camera. It works great!

Here's a video of a TT I did late last year using it. It was mounted on the bike using the supplied fasteners. I need to find a better mounting bracket for it. As a result, it does get a bit jumpy on the chip seal roads. Oh, and no comments about me passing the one rider on the right. The wide angle lens makes it look much closer than it actually is. It was a judgement call.

Thanks Volnix, I don't really know anything about camera specs and that will help at least understand the general bucket.

Very nice awilki - that dashboard stuff, is it software in the cam or added after on a pc? Thinking it's gotta be connected to your ride computer.

The Dashboard stuff was added after the fact using software called Dashware. The full version is $50 US (or so). It takes my Garmin file from my Edge 500 for all the info - GPS, elevation, speed, power, cadence, grade, temp, and HR. There is also a free overlay program that does the same, but it is not nearly as pretty. I can't recall the name off the top of my head, but it does work. I had it installed on my last PC (rebuilt PC since then).

Dashware is awesome! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif I am not sure how it syncs, (with which time reference), but it looks realistic... There are some cool videos on Youtube that even display the wind speed at the given moment. Probably related data from GPS and meteo stations?

The GoPro cameras seem to be very popular in sports. They probably also have some anti-shock mechanism since the videos dont seem too shaky even when the camera is placed on the handlebars in bikes. They are wide angle lens ones and they distort the image a bit but that adds some dramatic effect. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

The Contour HD has a better design IMO. The shaking is my mount - not the camera. The Contour HD has image stabilization, but it can't compensate for my poor mount on chip seal. On YouTube, you can see side by side movies with the two cameras. They are both great!

Time syncing the data with the video is done manually. It's not hard to do at all.

Hi,
I used the Drift HD!
Which has a remote control and can be mounted on the handlebars and Helmet very well.

Hi,
I used the Drift HD!
Which has a remote control and can be mounted on the handlebars and Helmet very well.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I've also been able to search on YT and see more footage of each.

Cuberacer, thanks for the post.

Watched a little groggy over morning coffee. Considering my immediate view was a nice way to start the day. Very much enjoyed the soundtrack to the 5:58 vid.

E-motion rollers arriving on Monday. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Thanks for the replies fellas. I've also been able to search on YT and see more footage of each.

Watched a little groggy over morning coffee. Considering my immediate view was a nice way to start the day. Very much enjoyed the soundtrack to the 5:58 vid.

Cool photo! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Probably not the best weather for cycling though... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif I remember once trying to cycle with this weather with a city bike with normal tires... Not easy!

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Hi danfoz,
Oh my god this is the same view as ours;-)
-6 Degrees and snow;-( (
Great Foto!!!!

"E-motion rollers arriving on Monday."

Spring and 50° arrives on Tuesday! That looks like Ohio did last week. We hit 50° yesterday and rolled a painful 52-mile ride with three other guys. Good luck with the E-Motion rollers...I'm still using my old Kreitlers.

Nice videos from all posters! A nice way to start Monday morning.

Here its getting warmer... slowly...

Anyone fancy climbing that?

I climbed 300m of it yesterday and got "wasted"! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

But the descent was so nice...