Helmet Cams?

Mar 11, 2015
Walking down a long stretch of road yesterday the other half said to me"I have just seen four people with cameras on their helmets, why is that?"
Why is that? I have noticed it a lot more lately too, why do a lot of people seem to have cameras on their helmets? Is it to record a ride? Personal safety insurance from drivers?
Do you have a helmet cam and if so why?

Clairelouise84 said:
Walking down a long stretch of road yesterday the other half said to me"I have just seen four people with cameras on their helmets, why is that?"
Why is that? I have noticed it a lot more lately too, why do a lot of people seem to have cameras on their helmets? Is it to record a ride? Personal safety insurance from drivers?
Do you have a helmet cam and if so why?
It's just to record them selves riding around and stuff. That's the latest thing. It's all over youtube also. The new GoPros are pretty cool and are shot in HD.

joshposh said:
It's just to record them selves riding around and stuff. That's the latest thing. It's all over youtube also. The new GoPros are pretty cool and are shot in HD.
Really? That seems a bit odd to me but whatever blows your skirt up I suppose? I don't think you would see people walking or running doing that, it strikes me as a tad odd.

Yeah, more and more people are using go pros on the helmets and wherever they want. Actually I find it cool to record our trip, it's a good memory and a testimony, technology has this cool things from time to time.

Because when some asshole in a vehicle decides to bust your chops by throwing something at you, or trying to run you off the road, you can go to the police with a video recording of the whole incident---including plate numbers. ;)

Reactions: Sunflogun
This is true. It's hard to take note of things if you are focusing on maneuvering the bike around. Cops have car cams to document everything. Cyclist have to cover their butts as well.

I don't know about where you're from, but over here its probably because they want video evidence in case a cop decides to shoot them.

Hell no I'm not using a helmet cam. No one wants to see my boring road ride footage. I can't imagine sitting down and watching it.

As far as accident/incident capture, get a FLY6 tail camera. If anything were going to happen, chances are it's going to be from behind.

mpre53 said:
Because when some asshole in a vehicle decides to bust your chops by throwing something at you, or trying to run you off the road, you can go to the police with a video recording of the whole incident---including plate numbers. ;)
Yep, quite a few advantages in having the cam, the ones you mention here, but also on happier days just some good images and memories to recall later.

A lot of people enjoy recording their adventures while cycling or doing something else that involves the outdoors. They'll strap a cam onto their helmet and then everything is available for viewing later and uploading if something interesting happens. I bet at least a handful of people wear them for personal safety reasons for unexpected accidents and whatnot.

I never done that for personal safety because I am an optimistic, but that is definitely an up side to it, not only we can record what we love, but we also have a safety and can record dubious situations.

wtf? That guy was projected into the air and the bike was broken in 2... That driver must have been drunk! Fortunately he could stand after that!!

No helmet cam for me I tried it for a while and didn't like the weight on my neck. I bought a bar mount and record all my rides If nothing happens I erase the video. BTW: Go Pro is just one option not the whole industry.

mpre53 said:
Now that makes sense, I could see how it would come in handy there, but for those that are just using it to document I think that is a bit weird, but I suppose it is not like you can stop and take pictures is it?

adfnio said:
This is true. It's hard to take note of things if you are focusing on maneuvering the bike around. Cops have car cams to document everything. Cyclist have to cover their butts as well.
It's a fair cop, yeah I suppose you need to be protected as cyclists seem to be the whipping boy of the roads sometimes!

ABNPFDR said:
Hell no I'm not using a helmet cam. No one wants to see my boring road ride footage. I can't imagine sitting down and watching it.

As far as accident/incident capture, get a FLY6 tail camera. If anything were going to happen, chances are it's going to be from behind.
That is a very good point, you can see what's coming in front of you, not behind you so if I were to get anything it would be a tail cam.

kana_marie said:
I don't know about where you're from, but over here its probably because they want video evidence in case a cop decides to shoot them.
Oh my goodness, that sounds like a fairly serious problem! I am from the UK, whereabouts are you from, just so I know not to ride there! lol

Another plus in having helmet cams is that you can actually monetize your youtube channel with google adsense. Hey might as well make a buck out of it too right?