Helmet Cams?

jhuskey said:
No helmet cam for me I tried it for a while and didn't like the weight on my neck. I bought a bar mount and record all my rides If nothing happens I erase the video. BTW: Go Pro is just one option not the whole industry.
I agree one hundred percent with this. It wasn't comfortable. Mountain biking on certain terrain you can catch video that's entertaining but otherwise it impedes my ride enough that I don't want it.

I was contemplating buying a helmet cam but I don't have the budget for it right now. I plan to keep posting regularly on my blog about interesting things that I see while cycling around.

What fun it will be to have a log of my travel while I am cycling. I am saving for it and should be buying it in a few weeks time.

It could be fun, but I don't have the money for it right now. How much do they weigh? My neck gets tight from life in general unfortunately, so I would have to take that into consideration if I were going to get one. If I had the opportunity to go on s long ride in the country it would be nice to get some footage, especially since I doubt I'd be able to really enjoy the scenery since I'd be focused on the road too much.

jhuskey said:
No helmet cam for me I tried it for a while and didn't like the weight on my neck. I bought a bar mount and record all my rides If nothing happens I erase the video. BTW: Go Pro is just one option not the whole industry.
That is true, there are other brands of cameras and at the same time if the helmet doesn't suit you because of the weight there are other place to put the cam as well.

I think having a helmet cam might be of good use only in terms of when being in trouble with police, people or whatnot. Also for making videos if it's profitable and professional with viewer attraction.

Ouch, that being pessimist eh kyler? :) I feel that making our own videos we are making good memories to keep and share with friends. :)

Clairelouise84 said:
Walking down a long stretch of road yesterday the other half said to me"I have just seen four people with cameras on their helmets, why is that?"
Why is that? I have noticed it a lot more lately too, why do a lot of people seem to have cameras on their helmets? Is it to record a ride? Personal safety insurance from drivers?
Do you have a helmet cam and if so why?
To make cool youtube videos? I'm pretty sure this is a new trend going on (or at least new to me). Some of the videos are actually pretty cool. I think it is interesting to see where people live and go when they ride. I don't personally have a camera and I don't plan on getting on in the near future.

Having a go pro aka helmet cameras are really nice if you would like to look back at all of the interesting places you have visited , also you could share the videos with your friends or your family members.

adfnio said:
Another plus in having helmet cams is that you can actually monetize your youtube channel with google adsense. Hey might as well make a buck out of it too right?
Bike accidents are a huge hit on youtube. More recorded accidents = more dollars!

Come on, adsense is really really low paying, we are better off finding a sponsor considering we manage good quality videos.

Sunflogun said:
Yeah, more and more people are using go pros on the helmets and wherever they want. Actually I find it cool to record our trip, it's a good memory and a testimony, technology has this cool things from time to time.
I guess it would be yeah.

You need to try it kyler, we just keep our recordings and after a couple of years having the chance to watch them again is really rewarding. ;)

I've seen a few people riding around with cams on their helmets and I think it's sort of like insurance in-case they get into a scrape with someone. Exactly the same thing as dash cams on cars.

If I were to have a cam I would find a way to mount it on the handlebars. I don't really like the look of it poking out the top of my cycle helmet, but I would lose a lot of the freedom of movement that comes from a helmet mounted cam if I didn't have it on the helmet. It's a catch 22 really...

Cams are nice especially if they don't take too much time to put on and off, so that is why I feel that having them in the helmet is nice, easy to put and off we go.

May I ask if the helmet cam now is of high resolution and not hazy? I had seen a video from a helmet can some years back but I didn't like the resolution because the video was not that clear. But the wearer said that the newer models of helmet cams are better although more expensive. I have no intention of buying but I am only thinking that it would be a good moral support for a biker in cases where something unpleasant happens on the road.

Security. You have crooked cops that will write you tickets for running reds you didn't run. You have violent interactions with people who hate cyclists.

Helmet cams do kinda suck. Specially go pro which is awkward and wind catching as can be and does not have a break away mount for whatever idiot reason.

Also, take a look at the fly 6.

Corzhens said:
May I ask if the helmet cam now is of high resolution and not hazy? I had seen a video from a helmet can some years back but I didn't like the resolution because the video was not that clear. But the wearer said that the newer models of helmet cams are better although more expensive. I have no intention of buying but I am only thinking that it would be a good moral support for a biker in cases where something unpleasant happens on the road.

It depends on the model. Anything from go pro, drift or contour should be fine. The rest you will have to sift through reviews on.

Reactions: Soop Dogg
Yes, if it's a cam to have in the helmet we better go for a reliable brand because we don't want it broken after the first day, it has to endure.

ABNPFDR said:
Hell no I'm not using a helmet cam. No one wants to see my boring road ride footage. I can't imagine sitting down and watching it.

As far as accident/incident capture, get a FLY6 tail camera. If anything were going to happen, chances are it's going to be from behind.
Who said anybody had to see so many hours of your footage? They say only about 1% or so of the footage recorded is actually juicy enough to air.

As far as the tail cam, how will ypu get the information you need, like license plates? Alabama car tags are only on the rear of the vehicle.