helmet care...any pointers?

ohiobiker

Dec 25, 2005
What should I do with my helmet when I finish a ride? I've always just hung it on the hook in the garage. I never hear about maintenence\care of helmets. Is there proper cleaning or storage?

Because the salt encrustation is unsightly, if nothing else, I hose out my helmet after warm weather rides. Wipe down the shell to avoid water spots and leave it in the shade to dry. If in a hurry I press a towel into the inside to absorb most of the water from the pads. In cooler or damper weather I rinse the helmet pads with the sink sprayer and use a towel.

I've heard of riders who just take the helmet into the shower for a wash and rinse (conditioner optional).

I jump in the pool with mine on once a week:)
ohiobiker said:
What should I do with my helmet when I finish a ride? I've always just hung it on the hook in the garage. I never hear about maintenence\care of helmets. Is there proper cleaning or storage?

ohiobiker said:

I strap mine onto the top rack of the dishwasher. Air dry.

Greg