Helmet discussion forum

Rusty Spokes

Guest
Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

The cycling forum is constantly clogged by 2 sets of bickering sides of
Helmets good, Helmets bad, like a stuck record, everyone repeating their own
view.

I like to read the cycling forum for constructive comments on training,
racing the countryside, who's been where, constructive information and
technical tips.

If I read many more comments on Helmets I am afraid I will be banging my
head against a brick wall.

Should that be with or without an helmet?

Rusty Spokes

Rusty Spokes wrote:
> Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.
>
> The cycling forum is constantly clogged by 2 sets of bickering sides of
> Helmets good, Helmets bad, like a stuck record, everyone repeating their own
> view.
>
> I like to read the cycling forum for constructive comments on training,
> racing the countryside, who's been where, constructive information and
> technical tips.
>
> If I read many more comments on Helmets I am afraid I will be banging my
> head against a brick wall.
>
> Should that be with or without an helmet?

That depends on whether you are banging an ANSI or Snell certified head
against an ASTM or BSI wall. The relevant ISO standards stipulate that
if you are banging your head against a wall it must be with a stroke of
at least 10cm and a peak impact force of no less than 50g. Are you sure
you are really an ISO head against the wall banger?

...d

(ps for leftpondians: I was joking)

Rusty Spokes wrote:
> Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

This is a newsgroup, not a forum.

> The cycling forum is constantly clogged by 2 sets of bickering sides of
> Helmets good, Helmets bad, like a stuck record, everyone repeating their own
> view.

There are a very few who claim helmets are bad. There are many who are
unsure of the efficacy of helmets.

> I like to read the cycling forum for constructive comments on training,
> racing the countryside, who's been where, constructive information and
> technical tips.

I like to read this newsgroup to read about, and comment on, many things
relevant to cycling, including helmets.

> If I read many more comments on Helmets I am afraid I will be banging my
> head against a brick wall.

You are free not to read them.

R.

"Rusty Spokes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.
>
> The cycling forum is constantly clogged by 2 sets of bickering sides of
> Helmets good, Helmets bad, like a stuck record, everyone repeating their
> own view.
>
> I like to read the cycling forum for constructive comments on training,
> racing the countryside, who's been where, constructive information and
> technical tips.
>
> If I read many more comments on Helmets I am afraid I will be banging my
> head against a brick wall.

Just block anything x-posted to rec.bicycles.tech for a while, or mark the
relevant threads as ignore. It'll die down soon enough anyway.

cheers,
clive

On 11/05/2006 20:38, Richard said,

> This is a newsgroup, not a forum.

"FORUM - An online discussion group, where participants with common
interests can exchange open messages."

"Forum - An online discussion group or newsgroup (see USENET)."

"Forum - An online discussion group. Online services and bulletin board
services (BBS's) provide a variety of forums, in which participants with
common interests can exchange open messages. Forums are sometimes called
newsgroups (in the Internet world) or conferences."

"An Internet forum is a facility on the World Wide Web for holding
discussions, or the web application software used to provide the facility."

Just a few definitions after a casual browse around the internet.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Rusty Spokes came up with the following;:
> Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

Why? Seems eminently sensible and pretty obvious to me that cyclists will
discuss, until the tyre finally deflates, the merits and demerits of
helmets, the wearing of helmets, their efficacy and legislation that
accompanies their use, or not.

> The cycling forum is constantly clogged by 2 sets of bickering sides of
> Helmets good, Helmets bad, like a stuck record, everyone repeating their
> own view.

So? That's what freedom of speech is. You are free to read, or not, any
thread whatsoever.

> I like to read the cycling forum for constructive comments on training,
> racing the countryside, who's been where, constructive information and
> technical tips.

And you are eminently free to do so. Or not.

> If I read many more comments on Helmets I am afraid I will be banging my
> head against a brick wall.

And you are eminently free to do so. Or not.

> Should that be with or without an helmet?

Yes.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

"Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Rusty Spokes came up with the following;:
>> Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

Here here!

It has taken over this NG to such an extent that it ceases to be about
cycling. Just endless bickering about a subject with which both sides will
never come to any agreement. I also find myself, sitting between both
camps-- I am totally anti compulsion but I get tired of being accused of
being a supporter of helmets . I actually object extremely strongly to that
attitude. My own personal decision to wear a helmet at all times is solely
my own and no one elses.

So, I am sure that many will be please to learn that I am bowing out of
here. It is just a place where pro and anti helmet trolls go on an on.....
and on.

I can glean my information and cycling news elsewhere.

All of you -- both, anti and pro helmets, are drowning this NG which I
have enjoyed reading for a couple of years.

It just isn't worth reading and re-reading the same interminable drivel !

To those who I have come to respect I bid a fond farewell. To the other just
a polite goodbye

I shall unsubscribe immediately after posting this.
--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Pinky wrote:

> "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Rusty Spokes came up with the following;:
>>> Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

> Here here!

I'll drink to that.

uk.rec.cycling.helmets?

tom

--
History is ending.

Pinky wrote:

> It just isn't worth reading and re-reading the same interminable drivel !
>
> To those who I have come to respect I bid a fond farewell. To the other just
> a polite goodbye
>
> I shall unsubscribe immediately after posting this.

aw c'mon, it's been like this since I joined; we do talk about cycling
(irrespective of headgear) some of the time; just stick to threads that
are less than 180 posts long and you'll be fine ;-)

in message <[email protected]>, Paul
Boyd ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 11/05/2006 20:38, Richard said,
>
>> This is a newsgroup, not a forum.

> "FORUM - An online discussion group, where participants with common
> interests can exchange open messages."

All fish are animals. Not all animals are fish. There are so-called
'forums', indeed, which conform to that description. This, however, is
not one. It's a newsgroup.

> "An Internet forum is a facility on the World Wide Web for holding
> discussions, or the web application software used to provide the
> facility."

This is a newsgroup. It is not on the World Wide Web, it is on Usenet, an
entirely different thing.

...but have you *seen* the size of the world wide spider?

Pinky wrote:
> "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Rusty Spokes came up with the following;:
> >> Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

> Here here!

<snip>
> It just isn't worth reading and re-reading the same interminable drivel !
>
> To those who I have come to respect I bid a fond farewell. To the other just
> a polite goodbye
>
> I shall unsubscribe immediately after posting this.
> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire,
> England, United Kingdom.

That's terrible!

If I'd know that someone was forcing pinky to read every post in the
group, I'd have been onto les peelers asap. Being compelled to read
"drivel" must qualify as cruel and unusual punishment.

Surely there's somthing in the UN Charter of Human Rights that says
that people don't have to read stuff they don't want to.

....or have I missed somthing? ;-)

bookieb.

bookieb wrote:
> Pinky wrote:

>> It just isn't worth reading and re-reading the same interminable drivel !

RTFM "killfile"

Just automagically mark threads including the word "helmet" to be
ignored and you won't see them.

> If I'd know that someone was forcing pinky to read every post in the
> group, I'd have been onto les peelers asap. Being compelled to read
> "drivel" must qualify as cruel and unusual punishment.
>
> Surely there's somthing in the UN Charter of Human Rights that says
> that people don't have to read stuff they don't want to.

Or if there isn't then they could heroically make the stand to get one
put in by setting an example...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

bookieb wrote:

> That's terrible!

Don't worry. There is a limitless supply of grumpy old men.

--
Dave...

Geraint Jones wrote:
> "Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote:
> | Here here!
>
> Where, where?
>
> (Sorry, it's one of my pet hates; bloody silly excuse for a language, English.)

O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau. Still, Latin came and went, I guess the
Bearla will to...

Err, bike content? Anyone know why the polish word for bike (Rower)
sounds the same as the irish word (Rothar)?

Pinky came up with the following;:
> "Paul - ***" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>> Rusty Spokes came up with the following;:
>>> Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

> Here here!
>
> It just isn't worth reading and re-reading the same interminable drivel !

You don't have to ....

> I shall unsubscribe immediately after posting this.

Then maybe you're the wrong person to ask ... Why are you responding to me,
without actually addressing any of your comments to any of the points I put?

Odd, goodbye, have fun, ride safe. ;)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Pinky wrote:
[snip]

Has Pinky just **plonked** himself?

TL

Simon Brooke wrote:

> in message <[email protected]>, Paul
> Boyd ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On 11/05/2006 20:38, Richard said,
>>
>>> This is a newsgroup, not a forum.

>> "FORUM - An online discussion group, where participants with common
>> interests can exchange open messages."

> All fish are animals. Not all animals are fish. There are so-called
> 'forums', indeed, which conform to that description. This, however, is
> not one. It's a newsgroup.
>
>> "An Internet forum is a facility on the World Wide Web for holding
>> discussions, or the web application software used to provide the
>> facility."

> This is a newsgroup. It is not on the World Wide Web, it is on Usenet, an
> entirely different thing.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/forum

I'd say usenet fitted with definition 1 (the English one). Perhaps a
meta-place? :)

People go to usenet to discuss things. Therefore it's a forum, if not an
"Internet forum".
--
Chris

dkahn400 wrote:

> bookieb wrote:
>
>> That's terrible!

> Don't worry. There is a limitless supply of grumpy old men.

Perhaps most of the contributors to this group are slowly turning into them,
if not into grumpy old women? :)
--
Chris

Chris Slade wrote:
> dkahn400 wrote:
>
>> bookieb wrote:
>>
>>> That's terrible!

>> Don't worry. There is a limitless supply of grumpy old men.

> Perhaps most of the contributors to this group are slowly turning into them,
> if not into grumpy old women? :)

I don't believe it!

JimP

--
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after