Helmet discussion forum

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Rusty Spokes, May 11, 2006.

  1. Rusty Spokes

    Rusty Spokes Guest

    Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

    The cycling forum is constantly clogged by 2 sets of bickering sides of
    Helmets good, Helmets bad, like a stuck record, everyone repeating their own
    view.

    I like to read the cycling forum for constructive comments on training,
    racing the countryside, who's been where, constructive information and
    technical tips.

    If I read many more comments on Helmets I am afraid I will be banging my
    head against a brick wall.

    Should that be with or without an helmet?

    Rusty Spokes

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Rusty Spokes wrote:
    > Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.
    >
    > The cycling forum is constantly clogged by 2 sets of bickering sides of
    > Helmets good, Helmets bad, like a stuck record, everyone repeating their own
    > view.
    >
    > I like to read the cycling forum for constructive comments on training,
    > racing the countryside, who's been where, constructive information and
    > technical tips.
    >
    > If I read many more comments on Helmets I am afraid I will be banging my
    > head against a brick wall.
    >
    > Should that be with or without an helmet?

    That depends on whether you are banging an ANSI or Snell certified head
    against an ASTM or BSI wall. The relevant ISO standards stipulate that
    if you are banging your head against a wall it must be with a stroke of
    at least 10cm and a peak impact force of no less than 50g. Are you sure
    you are really an ISO head against the wall banger?

    ...d

    (ps for leftpondians: I was joking)

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Rusty Spokes wrote:
    > Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

    This is a newsgroup, not a forum.

    > The cycling forum is constantly clogged by 2 sets of bickering sides of
    > Helmets good, Helmets bad, like a stuck record, everyone repeating their own
    > view.

    There are a very few who claim helmets are bad. There are many who are
    unsure of the efficacy of helmets.

    > I like to read the cycling forum for constructive comments on training,
    > racing the countryside, who's been where, constructive information and
    > technical tips.

    I like to read this newsgroup to read about, and comment on, many things
    relevant to cycling, including helmets.

    > If I read many more comments on Helmets I am afraid I will be banging my
    > head against a brick wall.

    You are free not to read them.

    R.

  4. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Rusty Spokes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.
    >
    > The cycling forum is constantly clogged by 2 sets of bickering sides of
    > Helmets good, Helmets bad, like a stuck record, everyone repeating their
    > own view.
    >
    > I like to read the cycling forum for constructive comments on training,
    > racing the countryside, who's been where, constructive information and
    > technical tips.
    >
    > If I read many more comments on Helmets I am afraid I will be banging my
    > head against a brick wall.

    Just block anything x-posted to rec.bicycles.tech for a while, or mark the
    relevant threads as ignore. It'll die down soon enough anyway.

    cheers,
    clive

  5. Paul Boyd

    Paul Boyd Guest

    On 11/05/2006 20:38, Richard said,

    > This is a newsgroup, not a forum.

    "FORUM - An online discussion group, where participants with common
    interests can exchange open messages."

    "Forum - An online discussion group or newsgroup (see USENET)."

    "Forum - An online discussion group. Online services and bulletin board
    services (BBS's) provide a variety of forums, in which participants with
    common interests can exchange open messages. Forums are sometimes called
    newsgroups (in the Internet world) or conferences."

    "An Internet forum is a facility on the World Wide Web for holding
    discussions, or the web application software used to provide the facility."

    Just a few definitions after a casual browse around the internet.

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  6. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Rusty Spokes came up with the following;:
    > Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

    Why? Seems eminently sensible and pretty obvious to me that cyclists will
    discuss, until the tyre finally deflates, the merits and demerits of
    helmets, the wearing of helmets, their efficacy and legislation that
    accompanies their use, or not.

    > The cycling forum is constantly clogged by 2 sets of bickering sides of
    > Helmets good, Helmets bad, like a stuck record, everyone repeating their
    > own view.

    So? That's what freedom of speech is. You are free to read, or not, any
    thread whatsoever.

    > I like to read the cycling forum for constructive comments on training,
    > racing the countryside, who's been where, constructive information and
    > technical tips.

    And you are eminently free to do so. Or not.

    > If I read many more comments on Helmets I am afraid I will be banging my
    > head against a brick wall.

    And you are eminently free to do so. Or not.

    > Should that be with or without an helmet?

    Yes.

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

  7. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Rusty Spokes came up with the following;:
    >> Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

    Here here!

    It has taken over this NG to such an extent that it ceases to be about
    cycling. Just endless bickering about a subject with which both sides will
    never come to any agreement. I also find myself, sitting between both
    camps-- I am totally anti compulsion but I get tired of being accused of
    being a supporter of helmets . I actually object extremely strongly to that
    attitude. My own personal decision to wear a helmet at all times is solely
    my own and no one elses.

    So, I am sure that many will be please to learn that I am bowing out of
    here. It is just a place where pro and anti helmet trolls go on an on.....
    and on.

    I can glean my information and cycling news elsewhere.

    All of you -- both, anti and pro helmets, are drowning this NG which I
    have enjoyed reading for a couple of years.

    It just isn't worth reading and re-reading the same interminable drivel !

    To those who I have come to respect I bid a fond farewell. To the other just
    a polite goodbye

    I shall unsubscribe immediately after posting this.
    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,

  8. Tom Anderson

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Thu, 11 May 2006, Pinky wrote:

    > "Paul - xxx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> Rusty Spokes came up with the following;:
    >>> Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

    > Here here!

    I'll drink to that.

    uk.rec.cycling.helmets?

    tom

    --
    History is ending.

  9. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Pinky wrote:

    > It just isn't worth reading and re-reading the same interminable drivel !
    >
    > To those who I have come to respect I bid a fond farewell. To the other just
    > a polite goodbye
    >
    > I shall unsubscribe immediately after posting this.

    aw c'mon, it's been like this since I joined; we do talk about cycling
    (irrespective of headgear) some of the time; just stick to threads that
    are less than 180 posts long and you'll be fine ;-)

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Paul
    Boyd ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > On 11/05/2006 20:38, Richard said,
    >
    >> This is a newsgroup, not a forum.

    > "FORUM - An online discussion group, where participants with common
    > interests can exchange open messages."

    All fish are animals. Not all animals are fish. There are so-called
    'forums', indeed, which conform to that description. This, however, is
    not one. It's a newsgroup.

    > "An Internet forum is a facility on the World Wide Web for holding
    > discussions, or the web application software used to provide the
    > facility."

    This is a newsgroup. It is not on the World Wide Web, it is on Usenet, an
    entirely different thing.

    ...but have you *seen* the size of the world wide spider?

  11. bookieb

    bookieb Guest

    Pinky wrote:
    > "Paul - xxx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    > > Rusty Spokes came up with the following;:
    > >> Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

    > Here here!

    <snip>
    > It just isn't worth reading and re-reading the same interminable drivel !
    >
    > To those who I have come to respect I bid a fond farewell. To the other just
    > a polite goodbye
    >
    > I shall unsubscribe immediately after posting this.
    > --
    > Trevor A Panther
    > In South Yorkshire,
    > England, United Kingdom.

    That's terrible!

    If I'd know that someone was forcing pinky to read every post in the
    group, I'd have been onto les peelers asap. Being compelled to read
    "drivel" must qualify as cruel and unusual punishment.

    Surely there's somthing in the UN Charter of Human Rights that says
    that people don't have to read stuff they don't want to.

    ....or have I missed somthing? ;-)

    bookieb.

  12. "Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote:
    | Here here!

    Where, where?

    (Sorry, it's one of my pet hates; bloody silly excuse for a language, English.)

  13. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    bookieb wrote:
    > Pinky wrote:

    >> It just isn't worth reading and re-reading the same interminable drivel !

    RTFM "killfile"

    Just automagically mark threads including the word "helmet" to be
    ignored and you won't see them.

    > If I'd know that someone was forcing pinky to read every post in the
    > group, I'd have been onto les peelers asap. Being compelled to read
    > "drivel" must qualify as cruel and unusual punishment.
    >
    > Surely there's somthing in the UN Charter of Human Rights that says
    > that people don't have to read stuff they don't want to.

    Or if there isn't then they could heroically make the stand to get one
    put in by setting an example...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  14. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    bookieb wrote:

    > That's terrible!

    Don't worry. There is a limitless supply of grumpy old men.

    --
    Dave...

  15. sothach

    sothach Guest

    Geraint Jones wrote:
    > "Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > | Here here!
    >
    > Where, where?
    >
    > (Sorry, it's one of my pet hates; bloody silly excuse for a language, English.)

    O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau. Still, Latin came and went, I guess the
    Bearla will to...

    Err, bike content? Anyone know why the polish word for bike (Rower)
    sounds the same as the irish word (Rothar)?

  16. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Pinky came up with the following;:
    > "Paul - xxx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    >> Rusty Spokes came up with the following;:
    >>> Its about time we had a separate forum for the discussion of Helmets.

    > Here here!
    >
    > It just isn't worth reading and re-reading the same interminable drivel !

    You don't have to ....

    > I shall unsubscribe immediately after posting this.

    Then maybe you're the wrong person to ask ... Why are you responding to me,
    without actually addressing any of your comments to any of the points I put?

    Odd, goodbye, have fun, ride safe. ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

  17. The Luggage

    The Luggage Guest

    Pinky wrote:
    [snip]
    > I shall unsubscribe immediately after posting this.

    Has Pinky just **plonked** himself?

    TL

  18. Chris Slade

    Chris Slade Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > in message <[email protected]>, Paul
    > Boyd ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> On 11/05/2006 20:38, Richard said,
    >>
    >>> This is a newsgroup, not a forum.

    >> "FORUM - An online discussion group, where participants with common
    >> interests can exchange open messages."

    > All fish are animals. Not all animals are fish. There are so-called
    > 'forums', indeed, which conform to that description. This, however, is
    > not one. It's a newsgroup.
    >
    >> "An Internet forum is a facility on the World Wide Web for holding
    >> discussions, or the web application software used to provide the
    >> facility."

    > This is a newsgroup. It is not on the World Wide Web, it is on Usenet, an
    > entirely different thing.

    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/forum

    I'd say usenet fitted with definition 1 (the English one). Perhaps a
    meta-place? :)

    People go to usenet to discuss things. Therefore it's a forum, if not an
    "Internet forum".
    --
    Chris

  19. Chris Slade

    Chris Slade Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:

    > bookieb wrote:
    >
    >> That's terrible!

    > Don't worry. There is a limitless supply of grumpy old men.

    Perhaps most of the contributors to this group are slowly turning into them,
    if not into grumpy old women? :)
    --
    Chris

  20. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Chris Slade wrote:
    > dkahn400 wrote:
    >
    >> bookieb wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's terrible!

    >> Don't worry. There is a limitless supply of grumpy old men.

    > Perhaps most of the contributors to this group are slowly turning into them,
    > if not into grumpy old women? :)

    I don't believe it!

    JimP

    --
    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
    grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after