Helmet for fat head

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mark & Alice We, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Big question! I have not been able to find a decent
    helmet that fits
    me. For instance, when I was shopping for a motorcycle
    helmet, I had to special order. Most of the helmet
    makers did not even make a helmet that would fit my
    square Swedish head.

    I have had even worse luck with bike helmets and I really
    want to start wearing a "brain bucket". Any ideas?

    Thanx!

    Best wishes! Mark W. Canby, Oregon

    Tags:

  2. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Mark & Alice Westlund <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Big question! I have not been able to find a decent helmet
    > that fits
    > me. For instance, when I was shopping for a motorcycle
    > helmet, I had to special order. Most of the helmet
    > makers did not even make a helmet that would fit my
    > square Swedish head.

    > I have had even worse luck with bike helmets and I really
    > want to start wearing a "brain bucket". Any ideas?

    /Dane sits back with bucket of popcorn, a 1/2 gallon of
    soda, and a Tub of Sloth (not available for delivery in
    sectors K & R) and waits for the festivities. We haven't had
    a helmet thread in a couple weeks...

    I do remember we have some regular posters with large melons
    who've had the same problems. I'll let them chime in.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    Tout choses sont dites deja, mais comme personne n'ecoute,

  3. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Mark & Alice Westlund <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Big question! I have not been able to find a decent helmet
    > that fits
    > me. For instance, when I was shopping for a motorcycle
    > helmet, I had to special order. Most of the helmet
    > makers did not even make a helmet that would fit my
    > square Swedish head.

    > I have had even worse luck with bike helmets and I really
    > want to start wearing a "brain bucket". Any ideas?

    /Dane sits back with bucket of popcorn, a 1/2 gallon of
    soda, and a Tub of Sloth (not available for delivery in
    sectors K & R) and waits for the festivities. We haven't had
    a helmet thread in a couple weeks...

    I do remember we have some regular posters with large melons
    who've had the same problems. I'll let them chime in.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    Tout choses sont dites deja, mais comme personne n'ecoute,
    il faut toujours recommencer. -- A. Gide

  4. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    ster.com says...
    > Big question! I have not been able to find a decent helmet
    > that fits
    > me. For instance, when I was shopping for a motorcycle
    > helmet, I had to special order. Most of the helmet
    > makers did not even make a helmet that would fit my
    > square Swedish head.
    >
    > I have had even worse luck with bike helmets and I really
    > want to start wearing a "brain bucket". Any ideas?

    I have more of a long (front-to-back) head, but it's big (7-
    3/4), and I found that the Giro Atlas fit with some
    adjustability room left. Maybe you can find one of those in
    a shop and try it on.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
    the newsgroups if possible).

  5. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    ster.com says...
    > Big question! I have not been able to find a decent helmet
    > that fits
    > me. For instance, when I was shopping for a motorcycle
    > helmet, I had to special order. Most of the helmet
    > makers did not even make a helmet that would fit my
    > square Swedish head.
    >
    > I have had even worse luck with bike helmets and I really
    > want to start wearing a "brain bucket". Any ideas?

    I have more of a long (front-to-back) head, but it's big (7-
    3/4), and I found that the Giro Atlas fit with some
    adjustability room left. Maybe you can find one of those in
    a shop and try it on.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
    the newsgroups if possible).

  6. Raoul Duke

    Raoul Duke Guest

    "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_yZ3c.204

    > /Dane sits back with bucket of popcorn, a 1/2 gallon of
    > soda, and a Tub of Sloth (not available for delivery in
    > sectors K & R) and waits for the festivities. We haven't
    > had a helmet thread in a couple weeks...

    Not to be pedantic here, but I believe it's not available
    for delivery only "after curfew" in sectors N or R.

    Dave....who lived in Sector R

  7. Scott

    Scott Guest

    David Kerber wrote:
    > ster.com says...
    >
    >>Big question! I have not been able to find a decent helmet
    >>that fits
    >>me. For instance, when I was shopping for a motorcycle
    >> helmet, I had to special order. Most of the helmet
    >> makers did not even make a helmet that would fit my
    >> square Swedish head.
    >>
    >>I have had even worse luck with bike helmets and I really
    >>want to start wearing a "brain bucket". Any ideas?
    >

    > I have more of a long (front-to-back) head, but it's big
    > (7-3/4), and I found that the Giro Atlas fit with some
    > adjustability room left. Maybe you can find one of those
    > in a shop and try it on.

    I also have a big head. The Giro Atlas works for me, as long
    as my hair is short. At the moment, my hair is long and even
    the Atlas is a very uncomfortable tight fit.

    scott, really at notscape det not

  8. How large does Giro go? My noggin is about a size 8.25. Mark

    Scott wrote:

    > David Kerber wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    > > ster.com says...
    > >
    > >>Big question! I have not been able to find a decent
    > >>helmet that fits
    > >>me. For instance, when I was shopping for a motorcycle
    > >> helmet, I had to special order. Most of the helmet
    > >> makers did not even make a helmet that would fit my
    > >> square Swedish head.
    > >>
    > >>I have had even worse luck with bike helmets and I
    > >>really want to start wearing a "brain bucket". Any
    > >>ideas?
    > >

    > > I have more of a long (front-to-back) head, but it's big
    > > (7-3/4), and I found that the Giro Atlas fit with some
    > > adjustability room left. Maybe you can find one of those
    > > in a shop and try it on.
    >
    > I also have a big head. The Giro Atlas works for me, as
    > long as my hair is short. At the moment, my hair is long
    > and even the Atlas is a very uncomfortable tight fit.
    >
    > scott, really at notscape det not

  9. collver1

    collver1 Guest

    Mark & Alice Westlund <[email protected]> wrote:
    > How large does Giro go? My noggin is about a size
    > 8.25. Mark

    Another option would be the Bell Kinghead:

    y?productId=5271&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-
    1

    It fits a 8.25 size head.

    Ben
    --
    Never wear your best pants when you go to fight for freedom.

  10. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:50:30 -0800, Mark & Alice Westlund
    wrote:

    >I have had even worse luck with bike helmets and I really
    >want to start wearing a "brain bucket". Any ideas?

    Trek's helmets are big.

    --
    [email protected]
    Reevaluation (a warm feeling).

  11. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Raoul Duke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > /Dane sits back with bucket of popcorn, a 1/2 gallon of
    > > soda, and a Tub of Sloth (not available for delivery in
    > > sectors K & R) and waits for the festivities. We haven't
    > > had a helmet thread in a couple weeks...
    >
    > Not to be pedantic here, but I believe it's not available
    > for delivery
    only
    > "after curfew" in sectors N or R.
    >
    > Dave....who lived in Sector R

    I hear there are some hills up therre in sector R. I never
    come up into the hills, myself.

  12. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    Mark & Alice Westlund <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Big question! I have not been able to find a decent helmet
    > that fits
    > me. For instance, when I was shopping for a motorcycle
    > helmet, I had to special order. Most of the helmet
    > makers did not even make a helmet that would fit my
    > square Swedish head.
    >
    > I have had even worse luck with bike helmets and I really
    > want to start wearing a "brain bucket". Any ideas?

    Square head? You could get the 12-pack size. About $3 at
    your local corner store.

    Consider that God may be telling you that cycling is
    not a dangerous enough activity to warrant wearing a
    helmet for it.

    Track sprinters go as fast as many of us, but none of them
    wear helmets. Pedestrians get hit and killed by cars in much
    greater numbers than cyclists, but none of them wear
    helmets. On a per-hour basis, cleaning out household rain
    gutters is much more likely to get you a cracked head than
    cycling is, but nobody wears a helmet for that, either.

    If people in the buttplug industry along with self-
    accredited butt plugging experts told you that a buttplug
    was essential to your cycling safety, would you use one?

    Chalo Colina

    "here's a sleek one with vents for only $150!"

  13. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    Mark & Alice Westlund <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Big question! I have not been able to find a decent helmet
    > that fits
    > me. For instance, when I was shopping for a motorcycle
    > helmet, I had to special order. Most of the helmet
    > makers did not even make a helmet that would fit my
    > square Swedish head.
    >
    > I have had even worse luck with bike helmets and I really
    > want to start wearing a "brain bucket". Any ideas?

    Square head? You could get the 12-pack size. About $3 at
    your local corner store.

    Consider that God may be telling you that cycling is
    not a dangerous enough activity to warrant wearing a
    helmet for it.

    Track sprinters go as fast as many of us, but none of them
    wear helmets. Pedestrians get hit and killed by cars in much
    greater numbers than cyclists, but none of them wear
    helmets. On a per-hour basis, cleaning out household rain
    gutters is much more likely to get you a cracked head than
    cycling is, but nobody wears a helmet for that, either.

    If people in the buttplug industry along with self-
    accredited butt plugging experts told you that a buttplug
    was essential to your cycling safety, would you use one?

    Chalo Colina

    "here's a sleek one with vents for only $150!"

  14. Peter Keller

    Peter Keller Guest

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:03:09 -0800, Chalo wrote:

    > Mark & Alice Westlund <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Big question! I have not been able to find a decent
    >> helmet that fits
    >> me. For instance, when I was shopping for a motorcycle
    >> helmet, I had to special order. Most of the helmet
    >> makers did not even make a helmet that would fit my
    >> square Swedish head.
    >>
    >> I have had even worse luck with bike helmets and I really
    >> want to start wearing a "brain bucket". Any ideas?
    >
    > Square head? You could get the 12-pack size. About $3 at
    > your local corner store.
    >
    > Consider that God may be telling you that cycling is
    > not a dangerous enough activity to warrant wearing a
    > helmet for it.
    >
    > Track sprinters go as fast as many of us, but none of them
    > wear helmets. Pedestrians get hit and killed by cars in
    > much greater numbers than cyclists, but none of them wear
    > helmets. On a per-hour basis, cleaning out household rain
    > gutters is much more likely to get you a cracked head than
    > cycling is, but nobody wears a helmet for that, either.
    >
    > If people in the buttplug industry along with self-
    > accredited butt plugging experts told you that a buttplug
    > was essential to your cycling safety, would you use one?
    >
    > Chalo Colina
    >
    > "here's a sleek one with vents for only $150!"

    I agree with your thoughts on bicycling safety, but there
    are other valid reasons for wanting to wear a helmet. Come
    to think of it, Mark didn't state why he wanted to wear a
    helmet. All he said was that he wanted to wear one that
    fits, and where could he find one. I see nothing wrong
    with that.

    Peter
    --
    This transmission is certified free of viruses as no
    Microsoft products were used in its preparation or

  15. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Raoul Duke <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >> /Dane sits back with bucket of popcorn, a 1/2 gallon of
    >> soda, and a Tub of Sloth (not available for delivery in
    >> sectors K & R) and waits for the festivities. We haven't
    >> had a helmet thread in a couple weeks...

    > Not to be pedantic here, but I believe it's not available
    > for delivery only "after curfew" in sectors N or R.

    > Dave....who lived in Sector R

    Well, it has been about a decade since I last listened to
    it. And I could not get a new copy - it's been out of print
    for a long time. Though now that I go look, it appears they
    are back in print. Hmmm. (Dane adds "Waiting for the
    Electrician Or Someone Like Him", and "Don't Crush That
    Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers!" to his things to buy list.)

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    Adding features does not necessarily increase functionality

  16. Chris B .

    Chris B . Guest

    On 12 Mar 2004 00:03:09 -0800, [email protected] (Chalo) wrote:

    >Mark & Alice Westlund <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Big question! I have not been able to find a decent
    >> helmet that fits
    >> me. For instance, when I was shopping for a motorcycle
    >> helmet, I had to special order. Most of the helmet
    >> makers did not even make a helmet that would fit my
    >> square Swedish head.
    >>
    >> I have had even worse luck with bike helmets and I really
    >> want to start wearing a "brain bucket". Any ideas?
    >
    >Square head? You could get the 12-pack size. About $3 at
    >your local corner store.
    >
    >Consider that God may be telling you that cycling is
    >not a dangerous enough activity to warrant wearing a
    >helmet for it.
    >
    >Track sprinters go as fast as many of us, but none of them
    >wear helmets. Pedestrians get hit and killed by cars in
    >much greater numbers than cyclists, but none of them wear
    >helmets. On a per-hour basis, cleaning out household rain
    >gutters is much more likely to get you a cracked head than
    >cycling is, but nobody wears a helmet for that, either.
    >
    >If people in the buttplug industry along with self-
    >accredited butt plugging experts told you that a buttplug
    >was essential to your cycling safety, would you use one?

    They aren't always easy to track down, but hey, they just
    may save your ass someday:

    http://www.fugly.com/media/AUDIO/funny/ButtPlug.mp3 (~1.6
    Mb)

  17. Rl

    Rl Guest

    "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Consider that God may be telling you that cycling is
    > not a dangerous enough activity to warrant wearing a
    > helmet for it.
    >
    > Track sprinters go as fast as many of us, but none of them
    > wear helmets. Pedestrians get hit and killed by cars in
    > much greater numbers than cyclists, but none of them wear
    > helmets. On a per-hour basis, cleaning out household rain
    > gutters is much more likely to get you a cracked head than
    > cycling is, but nobody wears a helmet for that, either.
    >
    > If people in the buttplug industry along with self-
    > accredited butt plugging experts told you that a buttplug
    > was essential to your cycling safety, would you use one?

    The crudeness really helps your credibility.

    (Not that credibility matters a lot when the above are the
    best arguments you can come up with.)

  18. Alisa Nelson

    Alisa Nelson Guest

    Here's one cyclist glad that I came out of getting hit with
    only a grade 3 concussion rather than death or brain damage.
    I'll always wear mine...

    Good luck in the search

    Brian

    "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mark & Alice Westlund <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Big question! I have not been able to find a decent
    > > helmet that fits
    > > me. For instance, when I was shopping for a motorcycle
    > > helmet, I had to special order. Most of the helmet
    > > makers did not even make a helmet that would fit my
    > > square Swedish head.
    > >
    > > I have had even worse luck with bike helmets and I
    > > really want to start wearing a "brain bucket". Any
    > > ideas?
    >
    > Square head? You could get the 12-pack size. About $3 at
    > your local corner store.
    >
    > Consider that God may be telling you that cycling is
    > not a dangerous enough activity to warrant wearing a
    > helmet for it.
    >
    > Track sprinters go as fast as many of us, but none of them
    > wear helmets. Pedestrians get hit and killed by cars in
    > much greater numbers than cyclists, but none of them wear
    > helmets. On a per-hour basis, cleaning out household rain
    > gutters is much more likely to get you a cracked head than
    > cycling is, but nobody wears a helmet for that, either.
    >
    > If people in the buttplug industry along with self-
    > accredited butt plugging experts told you that a buttplug
    > was essential to your cycling safety, would you use one?
    >
    > Chalo Colina
    >
    > "here's a sleek one with vents for only $150!"

  19. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    Chalo wrote:
    > If people in the buttplug industry along with self-
    > accredited butt plugging experts told you that a buttplug
    > was essential to your cycling safety, would you use one?
    >
    > "here's a sleek one with vents for only $150!"

    Hope you're back on helmets now.

    Bill "your post showed up twice but(t) once was plenty" S.