Helmet law...your choice or the goverments??

Originally posted by mrs dalloway
Some interesting points about "big brother" and too much gov't control. My last thoughts:
I would like to see the gov't put a cap on how much they will pay to people who don't think (athletic or couch potato). Let the person who is not willing to reduce health and safety risk by using proper equipment at least prepare to cover him/herself with the majority of his/her own insurance. Simple enough. If you want the wind in your hair on your motorcycle or the freedom to fly on silent gliders that's great. Just call your "good hands" people on your way out the door so my taxes don't continue to climb. I'd love to see a monetary cap applied to the slovenly individuals who belly up to a bar or all night buffet as well and then finish the evening off with a deck of smokes on the couch. Over here they get their free surgeries and transplants etc and there is no money coming out of their wallets. So, if you want independance from the government to ensure your freedom of choice, and your freedom to self destruct; then start by cutting the purse strings.
OK I'm done. I'm going off to talk about triathlons........
With or without a helmet?:D

What is true Democracy!?!? You might think you have "freedom of speach" and to a point; but, come down to it the government owns you lock, stock and barrel from cradle to grave .. the government ALWAYS has an agenda and it is usually fuelled by the almighty $ - you think the government REALLY CARES if your brain ends up like a cabbage? - unless of course it's gonna cost money!?!? I have lived under 2 different governments and both are "free countries". The first having national health care (take it from the workers/pay out to every Tom, **** and Harriet) and the present buy your own (lord help you if you cannot afford it/your ass is grass)! Even if the government didn't tell me to wear a helmet I would wear one (lucky I did last year) cos I think it is a smart move - if you chose not to wear it then you should be held responsible just like Mrs. D's comments. To be a free citizen doesn't mean you can run riot and do what the hell you want - so many people are abusing this "freedom" word - some folks out there NEED rules cos without them "we should be all running scared"!

Wear helmets .. it's no big deal .. until you smack head first onto something less forgiving!

Originally posted by shokhead1
If your not smart enough to wear a helmet then i guess the
gov needs to make you.

I agree with laws that protects the public, bystanders, pedestrians, motorist ect but how does not wearing a helmet indanger anyone else but the cyclist ? there for the gov should keep there nose outa of it. in AZ the law is motorcyclist no helmet law but there is a seat belt law, i don't get it! if the government is gonna be so damn controlling they should at least make sense! i disagree with you.

I just crashed yesterday morning and broke my collarbone. A moment of lost concentration putting food back in my pocket and drifted off line into the gutter. Without a helmet I'd have head injuries as well. The shell and foam are cracked right through, plus well dented from the landing on a loose chip footpath.

despite compulsory laws in New Zealand I still see s lot of cyclists without helmets. You'd be mad not to wear one!

Lindsay

Originally posted by 62vette
I just crashed yesterday morning and broke my collarbone. A moment of lost concentration putting food back in my pocket and drifted off line into the gutter. Without a helmet I'd have head injuries as well. The shell and foam are cracked right through, plus well dented from the landing on a loose chip footpath.

despite compulsory laws in New Zealand I still see s lot of cyclists without helmets. You'd be mad not to wear one!

Lindsay

True, but again, the question here is about choice. Mine, or someone making it for me.

living in a country where medical costs for accidents are publicly funded, where's the problem in insisting that people take reasonable precautions?

perhaps if you had to privately fund stupidity i might feel more inclined to be on the side of the civil libertarians.

lindsay

I too was a bit miffed when my home state of Maryland passed a bicycle helmet law - then I found out it was only for kids under age 16. So I went without one for awhile.

I started wearing a helmet again when I started to ride through the U.S. Naval Academy; they wouldn't let you through the gate unless you were wearing one.

Well, one day I was riding through downtown Annapolis and a skatboard came flying across the road in front of me. My front tire rode up on the skateboard, sending the front of my bike into the air and me onto the brick pavement. I messed up my right knee, hip and elbow - and got a four-inch-long crack in the right side of my helmet.

You can draw your own conclusions, but I now have a nice new helmet that I NEVER ride without.

In Spain the law now is that all cyclists must wear helmets except in town , which of course is about the only place that a helmet may protect you in an accident with a car - logical isn´t it .