HELMET LAWS - Ottawa ON. Canada ???

Bugsy

Guest
Hello,

I live in Ottawa, ON., Canada and I am over 18 years of age.

What is the cycling helmet laws for 2005 ?

I use a cycling cap, do I have to wear a helmet this year ?

Perhaps, you can provide some links to the law on this.

Thanks !!

I don't care what the law says, I ALWAYS ride with one on.

Why don't you ask a cop ? Can't find one? You'll find a pair in the Tim
Hortons parking lot down the road.

Laz

"Bugsy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I live in Ottawa, ON., Canada and I am over 18 years of age.
>
> What is the cycling helmet laws for 2005 ?
>
> I use a cycling cap, do I have to wear a helmet this year ?
>
> Perhaps, you can provide some links to the law on this.
>
> Thanks !!

Did Avery put you up to posting this?

"Bugsy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I live in Ottawa, ON., Canada and I am over 18 years of age.
>
> What is the cycling helmet laws for 2005 ?
>
> I use a cycling cap, do I have to wear a helmet this year ?
>
> Perhaps, you can provide some links to the law on this.
>
> Thanks !!

"Bugsy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I live in Ottawa, ON., Canada and I am over 18 years of age.
>
> What is the cycling helmet laws for 2005 ?
>
> I use a cycling cap, do I have to wear a helmet this year ?
>
> Perhaps, you can provide some links to the law on this.
>
> Thanks !!

Looks like you're off the hook: In Ontario, every cyclist under the age of
18 must wear an approved bicycle helmet.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/cycling/cyclingskills.htm

Up until last year in Ontario, if you were 18 or older, you could ride without a
helmet. If you were under 18 helmets were mandatory.

HOWEVER. . .

Last fall Bill 129 was introduced into the Ontario legislature --->
http://www.ontla.on.ca/documents/Bills/38_Parliament/Session1/b129_e.htm
which will make helmets mandatory for ALL cyclists, regardless of age. I'm not
sure if Bill 129 has become law yet or not. Anyone know it's current status?

Of course if you are riding in Gatineau Park, which is in Quebec, then the
helmet laws may be different in that province. I'm not sure what the current
laws are in Quebec regarding helmets, as I haven't ridden there in a few years.

J. Spaceman

--
My email address ([email protected]) is fake. Email sent to it
will only get caught in my spam tarpit.

Jason Spaceman wrote:
> Up until last year in Ontario, if you were 18 or older, you could ride without a
> helmet. If you were under 18 helmets were mandatory.
>
> HOWEVER. . .
>
> Last fall Bill 129 was introduced into the Ontario legislature --->
> http://www.ontla.on.ca/documents/Bills/38_Parliament/Session1/b129_e.htm
> which will make helmets mandatory for ALL cyclists, regardless of age. I'm not
> sure if Bill 129 has become law yet or not. Anyone know it's current status?
>
> Of course if you are riding in Gatineau Park, which is in Quebec, then the
> helmet laws may be different in that province. I'm not sure what the current
> laws are in Quebec regarding helmets, as I haven't ridden there in a few years.
>

> J. Spaceman

Hello Jason,

That is the legislation I was referring too. The Ontario Liberals had
been threatening to bring this in to save of all !! As of now I have no
idea what the law is saying. I will have to contact the MTO on Monday
and find out.

Cordially

I did a bit of digging around and it appears as though Bill 129 isn't
law, yet. According to
http://www.ontla.on.ca/library/bills/381/129381.htm it is before
committee.

I also found Bill 109
http://www.ontla.on.ca/documents/Bills/38_Parliament/Session1/b109_e.htm
which appears to be worded more or less the same as Bill 129. That
bill has only gone through first reading, however -->
http://www.ontla.on.ca/library/bills/381/109381.htm

So currently, in Ontario, if you are 18 and over you can ride without
a helmet. Under 18, helmets are mandatory.

J. Spaceman

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:16:28 -0500, Jason Spaceman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Up until last year in Ontario, if you were 18 or older, you could ride without a
>helmet. If you were under 18 helmets were mandatory.
>
>HOWEVER. . .
>
>Last fall Bill 129 was introduced into the Ontario legislature --->
>http://www.ontla.on.ca/documents/Bills/38_Parliament/Session1/b129_e.htm
>which will make helmets mandatory for ALL cyclists, regardless of age. I'm not
>sure if Bill 129 has become law yet or not. Anyone know it's current status?
>
>Of course if you are riding in Gatineau Park, which is in Quebec, then the
>helmet laws may be different in that province. I'm not sure what the current
>laws are in Quebec regarding helmets, as I haven't ridden there in a few years.
>

>J. Spaceman

"Bugsy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jason Spaceman wrote:
>> Up until last year in Ontario, if you were 18 or older, you could ride
>> without a
>> helmet. If you were under 18 helmets were mandatory.
>>
>> HOWEVER. . .
>>
>> Last fall Bill 129 was introduced into the Ontario legislature --->
>> http://www.ontla.on.ca/documents/Bills/38_Parliament/Session1/b129_e.htm
>> which will make helmets mandatory for ALL cyclists, regardless of age.
>> I'm not
>> sure if Bill 129 has become law yet or not. Anyone know it's current
>> status?
>>
>> Of course if you are riding in Gatineau Park, which is in Quebec, then
>> the
>> helmet laws may be different in that province. I'm not sure what the
>> current
>> laws are in Quebec regarding helmets, as I haven't ridden there in a few
>> years.
>>

>> J. Spaceman
>>

> Hello Jason,
>
> That is the legislation I was referring too. The Ontario Liberals had
> been threatening to bring this in to save of all !! As of now I have no
> idea what the law is saying. I will have to contact the MTO on Monday and
> find out.

Why bother? No one's going to do anything to you anyway.