Helmet mirror design

Ken Bradley

Guest
I would like to pass on an idea for a mirror that has works good for me. I
ride a recumbent with the bars under the seat, (USS) so I had to get the
mirror higher.

Bend a coat hanger two right angles and attach a small plastic frame convex
stick on mirror (sold at Grand Auto for you car sun visor) Attach the other
end to your helmet visor, I used wire ties and glue. Cheep and works great.
See my pic. posted on:http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/kengee_photo/

Oh yes, I forgot to memtsion: Use some small sheet metal screw to attach
the visor to the helmet. Valcro will not cut it with the mirror! Kengee
"Ken Bradley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I would like to pass on an idea for a mirror that has works good for me. I
>ride a recumbent with the bars under the seat, (USS) so I had to get the
>mirror higher.
>
> Bend a coat hanger two right angles and attach a small plastic frame
> convex stick on mirror (sold at Grand Auto for you car sun visor) Attach
> the other end to your helmet visor, I used wire ties and glue. Cheep and
> works great. See my pic. posted
> on:http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/kengee_photo/

Seeing that helmets are esigned to protect in the event of accident, I
don't think I'd want what amonuts to a steel dart anywhere on it,
especially on a visor so close to the eye.

I use the ThirdEye Pro mirror, which attaches to the side of the helmet,
is plastic, and not in such a dangerous location.

JMHO

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:01:45 -0400, [email protected]
(Chris Y.F.N.W.) wrote:

>Seeing that helmets are esigned to protect in the event of accident,

They are designed to make money for the manufacturers and retailers.

Were they designed to protect, we would be able to detect this in
accident rate statistics.

Thanks Chris, you do bring up a good point which I have considered, the end
of my wire is outside my helmet so if it did come off on impact, it could
not get to my eye. I tried a ThirdEye and found it to be too small. If I
did this again I would attach about 2" higher, way above the visor and even
futher away from my eye.
"Chris Y.F.N.W." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Seeing that helmets are esigned to protect in the event of accident, I
> don't think I'd want what amonuts to a steel dart anywhere on it,
> especially on a visor so close to the eye.
>
> I use the ThirdEye Pro mirror, which attaches to the side of the helmet,
> is plastic, and not in such a dangerous location.
>
> JMHO
>
> - -
> Compliments of:
> "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
> If you want to E-mail me use:
> ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
>
> My website:
> http://geocities.com/czcorner

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ken Bradley" <[email protected]> writes:
> I would like to pass on an idea for a mirror that has works good for me. I
> ride a recumbent with the bars under the seat, (USS) so I had to get the
> mirror higher.
>
> Bend a coat hanger two right angles and attach a small plastic frame convex
> stick on mirror (sold at Grand Auto for you car sun visor) Attach the other
> end to your helmet visor, I used wire ties and glue. Cheep and works great.
> See my pic. posted on:http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/kengee_photo/

I have/use a Mirrcycle handlebar mirror. Despite poplular
denegrating opinions about handlebar mirrors, it works very
well, and within reasonable expectations of a mirror of any
sort on urban-ish routes.

Eric Sande might take me to task for having it, but I use
my eyeballs a lot, too -- in fact, mostly. The mirror is
just supplementary (but still occasionally useful.)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Yea Tom, I used to use a Mirrcycle handlebar mirror ( best one I tried) but
it's much too low on my USS recumbent. Your mirror should be very near your
normal site line . I gave my Mirrcycle to a friend on a OSS (high bars)
bent. But, as you say a look back is best!
"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Ken Bradley" <[email protected]> writes:
>> I would like to pass on an idea for a mirror that has works good for me.
>> ride a recumbent with the bars under the seat, (USS) so I had to get the
>> mirror higher.
>>
>> Bend a coat hanger two right angles and attach a small plastic frame
>> convex
>> stick on mirror (sold at Grand Auto for you car sun visor) Attach the
>> other
>> end to your helmet visor, I used wire ties and glue. Cheep and works
>> great.
>> See my pic. posted on:http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/kengee_photo/

> I have/use a Mirrcycle handlebar mirror. Despite poplular
> denegrating opinions about handlebar mirrors, it works very
> well, and within reasonable expectations of a mirror of any
> sort on urban-ish routes.
>
> Eric Sande might take me to task for having it, but I use
> my eyeballs a lot, too -- in fact, mostly. The mirror is
> just supplementary (but still occasionally useful.)
>

> cheers,
> Tom
>
> --
> -- Nothing is safe from me.
> Above address is just a spam midden.
> I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

Group: rec.bicycles.misc Date: Fri, Oct 13, 2006, 5:30pm (EDT-3) From:
[email protected] (Ken Bradley)

>Thanks Chris, you do bring up a good
>point which I have considered, the end of
>my wire is outside my helmet so if it did
>come off on impact, it could not get to
>my eye.   I tried a ThirdEye and found it
>to be too small. If I did this again I would
>attach about 2" higher, way above the
>visor and even futher away from my eye.

Are you sure you tried the "Pro" model? It can be hard to find as not
all stores stock it. I almost always have to special order this model.
It has a large plate which is adhered to the side of the helmet and a
mirror with a diameter of about two centimeters (about 1 inch), and is
the largest I've seen out of all helmet or eyeglass mounted mirriors.

ThirdEye makes two other models (that I know of) one uses a small velcro
bracket that attaches to the helmet and the other uses a long fingered
thing that grips onto the temple of your eyeglasses. Both of these
models have much smaller mirrors.

- -

Ken Bradley wrote:

> Bend a coat hanger two right angles and attach a small plastic frame convex
> stick on mirror (

don;t need a convex mirror
plain flat is fine
though it should definitely be plastic not glass
for weight and safety reasons
[weight only matters because if it;s lighter, the attachment is easier]

i used piano wire, plastic flat 1" square mirror, and tape to mount

wle