helmet mount rear view mirror

Donn Cave

Guest
My mirror is a mostly plastic job that has become loose on its swivel and is more of a nuisance than
help sometimes. Yesterday I was talking to someone who moved here a few years back from the East
coast, and she said back there she could get a wire frame mirror that worked well.

She described a wire spring clip for firm attachment to the helmet rim. The mirror arm attached
to that, and then the mirror itself was on a pivot. Sounded pretty good to me. Anyone know if
it's still in production, and where to get it? (probably mailorder, apparently not available at
Seattle shops.)

Other ideas welcome. I suppose if I had any pride I'd make some out of old spokes, and tape on my
current mirror. Honestly, as I type this I wonder if the above design will work so well for me
anyway, since the problem is that I tend to walk around with my helmet under my arm about as much as
I ride with it on my head. An arm that will swivel out of the way on impact is probably ideal, as
long as it will stay firmly enough when deployed.

Thanks Donn

HI Don, you want a Take-a-Look mirror. All stainless and brass construction. I think they still have
them at www.rei.com Get the one with the long leg....Mark C.

In article <1075062290.206754@yasure>, Donn Cave says...

>My mirror is a mostly plastic job that has become loose on its swivel and is more of a nuisance
>than help sometimes. Yesterday I was talking to someone who moved here a few years back from the
>East coast, and she said back there she could get a wire frame mirror that worked well.
>
>She described a wire spring clip for firm attachment to the helmet rim. The mirror arm attached
>to that, and then the mirror itself was on a pivot. Sounded pretty good to me. Anyone know if
>it's still in production, and where to get it? (probably mailorder, apparently not available at
>Seattle shops.)
>
>Other ideas welcome. I suppose if I had any pride I'd make some out of old spokes, and tape on my
>current mirror. Honestly, as I type this I wonder if the above design will work so well for me
>anyway, since the problem is that I tend to walk around with my helmet under my arm about as much
>as I ride with it on my head. An arm that will swivel out of the way on impact is probably ideal,
>as long as it will stay firmly enough when deployed.

I too use a plastic swiveling mirror - sounds like the same one. I've found that they work great
for one to two seasons, then loosen up to the point where they won't stay adjusted. My solution is
just to buy a new one whenever I notice that the mirror is knocked out of place when by hitting a
bump in the road.

Steve Christensen Midland, MI

Donn, I had the same problem with my Third-Eye mirror (Especially when I
added the aero bubble on the round mirror part) and remedied the problem by
placing a paper clip, bent into the shape of a stabilizer bar, on my first
helmet. Then to my surprise on closer inspection of the Third Eye mirror,
there is actually a small hole drilled into the stem, which will allow you
to setup a stabilizer bar into it and attach to the helmet or visor, as seen
in the following pictures at: http://tinyurl.com/2gmhv

So far the mirror has remained steady and vibrates very little.

EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"Donn Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1075062290.206754@yasure...
> My mirror is a mostly plastic job that has become loose on its swivel and is more of a nuisance
> than help sometimes.

> My mirror is a mostly plastic job that has become loose on its swivel and is more of a nuisance
> than help sometimes.

I had the same problem but I found a solution. The swivel is a ball-and-socket and you can pop the
ball out of the socket. Wrap it with a tiny piece of teflon plumber's tape (thin white stuff used to
wrap pipe threads and prevent leaks) and pop it back in. This fix lasts a long time and can be
repeated as necessary.

The mirror I have is by third eye and the following information work great for me-- Ball Joints The
ball joints on Third Eye Mirrors { (02), (03), (05) & (07) } have a unique construction. The joint
is made up of three parts. The ball joint can be tightened. When you think the joint is loose just
tighten it by firmly pushing the ball deeper in to the socket. The ball joint can not be pulled
apart. If you need to dissassemble a ball joint press a blunt instrument into the little hole on the
joint and push the joint appart.

"Donn Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1075062290.206754@yasure...
> My mirror is a mostly plastic job that has become loose on its swivel and is more of a nuisance
> than help sometimes. Yesterday I was talking to someone who moved here a few years back from the
> East coast, and she said back there she could get a wire frame mirror that worked well.
>
> She described a wire spring clip for firm attachment to the helmet rim. The mirror arm attached
> to that, and then the mirror itself was on a pivot. Sounded pretty good to me. Anyone know if
> it's still in production, and where to get it? (probably mailorder, apparently not available at
> Seattle shops.)
>
> Other ideas welcome. I suppose if I had any pride I'd make some out of old spokes, and tape on my
> current mirror. Honestly, as I type this I wonder if the above design will work so well for me
> anyway, since the problem is that I tend to walk around with my helmet under my arm about as much
> as I ride with it on my head. An arm that will swivel out of the way on impact is probably ideal,
> as long as it will stay firmly enough when deployed.
>
> Thanks Donn

Originally posted by Ez Biker :-\)
Donn, I had the same problem with my Third-Eye mirror (Especially when I
added the aero bubble on the round mirror part) and remedied the problem by
placing a paper clip, bent into the shape of a stabilizer bar, on my first
helmet. Then to my surprise on closer inspection of the Third Eye mirror,
there is actually a small hole drilled into the stem, which will allow you
to setup a stabilizer bar into it and attach to the helmet or visor, as seen
in the following pictures at: http://tinyurl.com/2gmhv

So far the mirror has remained steady and vibrates very little.

EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"Donn Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1075062290.206754@yasure...
> My mirror is a mostly plastic job that has become loose on its swivel and is more of a nuisance
> than help sometimes.

Appears beneficial, so-
Where did you get the aero bubble or how did you make it?
How much does it weigh?
What material is that?

My aero / mirror bubble is nothing high tech here... ;-) I blew a BIG 50
cents at a store vending machine for it. It's fairly weak plastic, so you
need to be a little careful when mounting it onto the mirror. (I dremeled
the sides if my mirror, applied some epoxy and popped the bubble on. Weight?
Can't help you there.
EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"meb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Appears beneficial, so- Where did you get the aero bubble or how did you make it? How much does it
> weigh? What material is that?
>

> --

"Donn Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1075062290.206754@yasure>... <SNIP>
Mirror <SNIP>

Echoing about the rei mirror. They work fantastic. Have had one for 3 years and not a problem. I
believe this is the link.http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=4000-
0008000&productId=1842331&parent_category_rn=4500871

or go to www.rei.com and type in the phrase, take a look, in the search box.

Joe Recumbo

> "Donn Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1075062290.206754@yasure>... <SNIP>
> Mirror <SNIP>
>
> Echoing about the rei mirror. They work fantastic. Have had one for 3 years and not a problem. I
> believe this is the link.http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40-
> 000008000&productId=1842331&parent_category_rn=4500871
>
> or go to www.rei.com and type in the phrase, take a look, in the search box.

I too can endorse the Take-A-Look Mirror. Though I think they only work on Glasses or Helmet Visors.
There is another type that does fit on a helmet. It gets a lot of positive feedback on the touring
list. Here is a Link: http://www.hubbub.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=helmir

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Donn Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1075062290.206754@yasure>... <SNIP> Mirror
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > Echoing about the rei mirror. They work fantastic. Have had one for 3 years and not a problem. I
> > believe this is the link.http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=-
> > 40000008000&productId=1842331&parent_category_rn=4500871
> >
> > or go to www.rei.com and type in the phrase, take a look, in the search box.
>
> I too can endorse the Take-A-Look Mirror. Though I think they only work on Glasses or Helmet
> Visors. There is another type that does fit on a helmet. It gets a lot of positive feedback on the
> touring list. Here is a Link: http://www.hubbub.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=helmir

Cletus,

The Take A Look comes with a "helmet" attachment as an alternative.

Length: One other comment. I found this mirror too long and simply cut the wire to make it shorter.
There used to be a long and short model. FWIW

Slow Joe Recumbo

> Cletus,
>
> The Take A Look comes with a "helmet" attachment as an alternative.
>
> Length: One other comment. I found this mirror too long and simply cut the wire to make it
> shorter. There used to be a long and short model. FWIW
>
> Slow Joe Recumbo

AFAIK, the helmet attachment is only for helmets with visors. Do you have experience otherwise?

FWIW, I prefer the long wire. I have also found T-A-L in two different mirror sizes.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"Donn Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1075062290.206754@yasure>...
> My mirror is a mostly plastic job that has become loose on its swivel and is more of a nuisance
> than help sometimes. Yesterday I was talking to someone who moved here a few years back from the
> East coast, and she said back there she could get a wire frame mirror that worked well.

As others have said, it sounds like the Third Eye mirror is the culprit. I fixed mine with a glob of
epoxy on the pivot. Make sure the mirror is in the right place before it sets!

Jeff

Another option is a Chuck Harris mirror. Chuck is a midwest cycling icon who goes to the big midwest
rides and sells mirrors made from roadside detritus and bicycle spokes. Chuck custom fits the mirror
to your helmet or to your specs.

Chuck was written up in the Riv Reader a few years ago.

Brad...awaiting the big storm. R40 Linear X 2 Rocket

TBRADSTER wrote:

> Another option is a Chuck Harris mirror. Chuck is a midwest cycling icon who goes to the big
> midwest rides and sells mirrors made from roadside detritus and bicycle spokes. Chuck custom fits
> the mirror to your helmet or to your specs.
>

> Chuck was written up in the Riv Reader a few years ago.

And in Playboy about 30 years ago. Reportedly [1], they focused on non-cycling uses for the mirror.

[1] I have not seen the article.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Gee Bruce, that's sounds like a pretty good idea; except that my Aero Bubble does add more weight
and hence the reason I felt the need to add a wire brace to my mirror stem. Too bad the Third Eye
people can't offer a more aero shaped mirror. EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)
Posting via Free Agent

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:41:07 -0500, "bruce" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The mirror I have is by third eye and the following information work great for me-- Ball Joints The
>ball joints on Third Eye Mirrors { (02), (03), (05) & (07) } have a unique construction. The joint
>is made up of three parts. The ball joint can be tightened. When you think the joint is loose just
>tighten it by firmly pushing the ball deeper in to the socket. The ball joint can not be pulled
>apart. If you need to dissassemble a ball joint press a blunt instrument into the little hole on
>the joint and push the joint appart.

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > Cletus,
> >
> > The Take A Look comes with a "helmet" attachment as an alternative.
> >
> > Length: One other comment. I found this mirror too long and simply cut the wire to make it
> > shorter. There used to be a long and short model. FWIW
> >
> > Slow Joe Recumbo
>
> AFAIK, the helmet attachment is only for helmets with visors. Do you have experience otherwise?
>
> FWIW, I prefer the long wire. I have also found T-A-L in two different mirror sizes.

Clethus,

Yup, but it was so long ago I was so much younger then. I think it was the first Take A Look I got
and it (or maybe another) had an adhesive like attachment for the helmet.

In summary, I'll have to take a look when I go to REI and see if I can peek inna package.

Cheers

Slow Joe

Joe Keenan wrote:

> Clethus,...

Has he converted from being a Texan to a Greek [1]?

[1] Grecian in Bush Speak.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

> Joe Keenan wrote:
>
> > Clethus,...
>
> Has he converted from being a Texan to a Greek [1]?
>
> [1] Grecian in Bush Speak.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

AFAIK, 'Cletus' is Latin not Greek.

FWIW, It means 'the chosen one'.