Helmet Poll: First Hand Experience

I'm sorry, I realize that Ozark was calling out Frank as being afraid
to meet face to face -- writing "Betcha Frank's a bit more reticent
face-to-face" -- and not Carl.

You wrote later "I really do hope to make the East Coast trip, but the
time frame is still a bit loosey-goosey Depends on the schedule of a
few friends and on nailing down an acceptable and available place in
Wellfleet, MA for a several days. I will keep you posted, as promised,
John. "

But Ozark, now, I'm getting the feeling that now you are afraid to
meet face-to-face.

So what is the situation? Are you coming to New York City?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> I'm sorry, I realize that Ozark was calling out Frank as being afraid
> to meet face to face -- writing "Betcha Frank's a bit more reticent
> face-to-face" -- and not Carl.
>
> You wrote later "I really do hope to make the East Coast trip, but the
> time frame is still a bit loosey-goosey Depends on the schedule of a
> few friends and on nailing down an acceptable and available place in
> Wellfleet, MA for a several days. I will keep you posted, as promised,
> John. "
>
> But Ozark, now, I'm getting the feeling that now you are afraid to
> meet face-to-face.

Paralyzed with fear! The very thought of you scares the water right
outta me!

That, and the thought I might die laughing....

> So what is the situation? Are you coming to New York City?

Not sure. Might go to Colorado instead. Fort Collins area, seeking real
estate. Got some contacts there. I hear the wind surfing is fine out
there. What do you hear?

SMS wrote:

> There is no evidence of this alleged risk compensation behavior as it
> relates to bicycle helmets.

Except the published evidence, that is. I thought you said it was only
AHZ's that ignored evidence that conflicted with their pre-conceived
opinions?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]>typed

>> Peter Clinch wrote:

>>> They /might/ help, but they really *can* hurt too. If not, how come
>>> the serious injury rate is unchanged by increasing use of helmets?

>> If they "hurt", then the injury rate would go up with increased use.

Only if they hurt in significantly more cases than those they help.
With little overall change in rates from increased helmet use (there are
some suggestions overall /is/ actually worse but IMHO not at a
reproducible and significant degree where one can make it an unequivocal
claim), if they're helping some of the time then to roughly balance that
they'll be hindering at others. It's not a single incident. Calculator
broken again?

Pete.
--

On 9 Aug 2006 19:56:31 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> I'm sorry, I realize that Ozark was calling out Frank as being afraid
>> to meet face to face -- writing "Betcha Frank's a bit more reticent
>> face-to-face" -- and not Carl.
>>
>> You wrote later "I really do hope to make the East Coast trip, but the
>> time frame is still a bit loosey-goosey Depends on the schedule of a
>> few friends and on nailing down an acceptable and available place in
>> Wellfleet, MA for a several days. I will keep you posted, as promised,
>> John. "
>>
>> But Ozark, now, I'm getting the feeling that now you are afraid to
>> meet face-to-face.

>Paralyzed with fear! The very thought of you scares the water right
>outta me!
>
>That, and the thought I might die laughing....
>
>> So what is the situation? Are you coming to New York City?

>Not sure.

If you do come to New York City, let me know in advance so we can
meet.

I have a feeling you are a bully and a coward and will try to avoid
meeting me -- we shall see.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

[for the benefit of those new to usenet and the method of indicating quotes,
the portion of this post below prefixed by ODD (ONE or THREE) numbers of
quote marks (">") was written by Ozark; the portion of this post below
prefixed by EVEN (TWO or FOUR) numbers of quote marks was written by John
Forrest Tomlinson]

> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> > >Do you still want my picture, or have you found another object for your
> > >homoerotic urges?

> > I would like to see a picture of you and I would like to know if you
> > would be in NYC later this year so we can meet.
> >

> I have to tell you right upfront, I don't shave my legs and I go for
> women, not men. Perhaps you should find another object for your
> desires.
>
> And, does your wife know about your nocturnal cravings?

Wasn't it Ozark who suggested that he and John meet? If so, then perhaps it
is now not John, but Ozark, who has realised that if others nearer and
supposedly dearer to him become aware of this assignation their reaction may
not be to his liking.

(At least this is a kinder interpretation of Ozark's change of heart than
mere cowardice...)

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 9 Aug 2006 19:56:31 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> >> I'm sorry, I realize that Ozark was calling out Frank as being afraid
> >> to meet face to face -- writing "Betcha Frank's a bit more reticent
> >> face-to-face" -- and not Carl.
> >>
> >> You wrote later "I really do hope to make the East Coast trip, but the
> >> time frame is still a bit loosey-goosey Depends on the schedule of a
> >> few friends and on nailing down an acceptable and available place in
> >> Wellfleet, MA for a several days. I will keep you posted, as promised,
> >> John. "
> >>
> >> But Ozark, now, I'm getting the feeling that now you are afraid to
> >> meet face-to-face.

> >Paralyzed with fear! The very thought of you scares the water right
> >outta me!
> >
> >That, and the thought I might die laughing....
> >
> >> So what is the situation? Are you coming to New York City?

> >Not sure.

> If you do come to New York City, let me know in advance so we can
> meet.

Wouldn't miss it for the world.

> I have a feeling you are a bully and a coward and will try to avoid
> meeting me -- we shall see.

And I have the feeling you're as queer as a $3 bill. Why else would you
keep asking me for a picture?

On 10 Aug 2006 03:47:48 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

>> >Paralyzed with fear! The very thought of you scares the water right
>> >outta me!
>> >
>> >That, and the thought I might die laughing....

>> >Not sure.

>> If you do come to New York City, let me know in advance so we can
>> meet.
>>

>Wouldn't miss it for the world.
>

>> I have a feeling you are a bully and a coward and will try to avoid
>> meeting me -- we shall see.
>>

>And I have the feeling you're as queer as a $3 bill. Why else would you
>keep asking me for a picture?

If I was gay I wouldn't be embarrassed to say so -- but I'm not. More
importantly, I'm pretty sure you're not physically attractive, and you
certainly aren't intellectually attractive.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2006 03:47:48 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>

> >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> >> If you do come to New York City, let me know in advance so we can
> >> meet.
> >>

> >Wouldn't miss it for the world.
> >

> >> I have a feeling you are a bully and a coward and will try to avoid
> >> meeting me -- we shall see.
> >>

> >And I have the feeling you're as queer as a $3 bill. Why else would you
> >keep asking me for a picture?

> If I was gay I wouldn't be embarrassed to say so -- but I'm not.

Hmmm....you're an obsessive, post humping ***** but you won't admit it.
Why should I believe you'd be more honest about your sexual
preferences?

> More
> importantly, I'm pretty sure you're not physically attractive

And this is based on what.......your psychic powers?? LOL!!

> and you
> certainly aren't intellectually attractive.

And once again: Irony, thy monogram is jTf !

Espressopithecus (Java Man) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...

>> Kids have been observed to use their helmets as 'shields' rather than
>> keeping the head out of the impact zone as would usually be instinctive.
>>

> I think that's an example of how kids' behaviour while wearing bicycle
> helmets is the same as people using other protective equipment, not
> different.

There's your proof, "kids have been observed."

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Espressopithecus (Java Man) wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] says...

> >> Kids have been observed to use their helmets as 'shields' rather than
> >> keeping the head out of the impact zone as would usually be instinctive.
> >>

> > I think that's an example of how kids' behaviour while wearing bicycle
> > helmets is the same as people using other protective equipment, not
> > different.

> There's your proof, "kids have been observed."

Risk compensation is a well-established phenomenon. Perhaps you're
correct that it hasn't been conclusively established specifically w.r.t.
bicycle helmets. However, to credibly assert that risk compensation
does NOT apply to wearers of bicycle helmets, you must provide credible
reasons why people's behaviour while wearing bicycle helmets will be
different from that observed with other safety measures such as anti-
lock brakes and car seatbelts.

Can you? If so, what is it?

Rick

On 10 Aug 2006 05:50:13 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On 10 Aug 2006 03:47:48 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> >And I have the feeling you're as queer as a $3 bill. Why else would you
>> >keep asking me for a picture?

>> If I was gay I wouldn't be embarrassed to say so -- but I'm not.

>Hmmm....you're an obsessive, post humping ***** but you won't admit it.
>Why should I believe you'd be more honest about your sexual
>preferences?

You can call me gay or think that I'm gay -- it's not an insult to me.
I have plenty of gay friends and don't think being gay is anything to
be embarrassed about. Calling me gay or suggesting I'm gay is just an
error on your part and I won't spend any more energy disputing it.

>> More
>> importantly, I'm pretty sure you're not physically attractive

>And this is based on what.......your psychic powers?? LOL!!

Prove me wrong with a picture.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2006 05:50:13 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>

> >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> >> If I was gay I wouldn't be embarrassed to say so -- but I'm not.

> >Hmmm....you're an obsessive, post humping ***** but you won't admit it.
> >Why should I believe you'd be more honest about your sexual
> >preferences?

> You can call me gay or think that I'm gay -- it's not an insult to me.
> I have plenty of gay friends and don't think being gay is anything to
> be embarrassed about. Calling me gay or suggesting I'm gay is just an
> error on your part and I won't spend any more energy disputing it.

So you just stalk men on the internet, ask for their picture and a date
to meet?

> >> More
> >> importantly, I'm pretty sure you're not physically attractive

> >And this is based on what.......your psychic powers?? LOL!!

> Prove me wrong with a picture.

Not a chance, assh**e. Prove your own premise.

(Hint to JFT, try the current [i.e,. not the cached] version of the
site. Try clicking on #26. Feel like a fool now?)

You are such a slug witted moron! :)

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2006 15:46:21 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >(Hint to JFT, try the current [i.e,. not the cached] version of the
> >site. Try clicking on #26. Feel like a fool now?)

> What site are you talking about?

Gawd! What are you basing your position on?

(In case you're "playing dunb" for public consumption, take my earlier
advice. You can avoid appearing a total idiot.)

On 10 Aug 2006 16:21:21 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On 10 Aug 2006 15:46:21 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> >(Hint to JFT, try the current [i.e,. not the cached] version of the
>> >site. Try clicking on #26. Feel like a fool now?)

>> What site are you talking about?

>Gawd! What are you basing your position on?
>
>(In case you're "playing dunb" for public consumption, take my earlier
>advice. You can avoid appearing a total idiot.)

I have no idea what you are talking about. I thought perhaps you
meant the website www.ozarkbicycleservice.com but don't see anything
there other than text.

What are you talking about? What/which earlier advice?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2006 16:21:21 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>

> >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> >> What site are you talking about?

> >Gawd! What are you basing your position on?
> >
> >(In case you're "playing dunb" for public consumption, take my earlier
> >advice. You can avoid appearing a total idiot.)

> I have no idea what you are talking about. I thought perhaps you
> meant the website www.ozarkbicycleservice.com but don't see anything
> there other than text.
>
> What are you talking about? What/which earlier advice?

Every time I do not want to believe you are so profoundly stupid, you
prove me wromg.

Good Gawd, you are a waste of time. No mas!

"H M Leary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Aeek <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:27:40 +0100, Peter Clinch
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >But it quite possibly might have been a negative in that particular
>> >instance, is a fair summary IMHO. Though you can come up with other
>> >scenarios where they might well help.

>> Absolutely. Later on I did a full body and face plant into the grass
>> from running off the path and the helmet protected my forehead.
>> I broke my Rudys on my nose rather than my nose so maybe thats a case
>> for mandatory cycling glasses?
>> I could conclude that bitumen is softer than grass, that fits my
>> personal sample!

> Ah Crockey, Mate.
>
> Maybe you should take some riding lessons and learn how to stay upright!

Maybe it was the corks dangling off strings on the Aussie version of the
helmet that caused a distraction ;-)

Paul
(PS New Zealanders also say Crikey - which is what I'm sure you meant to
write, unless you were referring to a throat ailment)

On 10 Aug 2006 17:09:18 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

>> >Gawd! What are you basing your position on?
>> >
>> >(In case you're "playing dunb" for public consumption, take my earlier
>> >advice. You can avoid appearing a total idiot.)

>> I have no idea what you are talking about. I thought perhaps you
>> meant the website www.ozarkbicycleservice.com but don't see anything
>> there other than text.
>>
>> What are you talking about? What/which earlier advice?

>Every time I do not want to believe you are so profoundly stupid, you
>prove me wromg.

Please just give me the URL of the site you are talking about and I'll
take a look.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:15:53 GMT, "Bill Sornson"
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>> The fundamental weakness in your position is that I originally thought
>> it *was* simple until I actually studied it, prompted by others on the
>> cycling newsgroup.

>IOW, peer pressure caused you to question your own common sense and sound
>judgment.

No, references to the evidence caused me to question my own
prejudices. Rightly, as it turns out.

The fact that you consider your judgment to be more reliable than
formal evidence has already been established. I lack your
self-confidence.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk