Helmet - Purchase - Input Required

vvanherk

Mar 28, 2010
Hello All.

I'm a recreational cyclist. Getting into in a bit more over the last few years, but have been doing it most of my life.

I've never bothered to wear a helmet (gasp, I know). I'm 46, so it was never a big deal as kids, and just grew up that way. I've tried them on in the past, but just hated the way they feel.

Anywho, I'm going on a 200+ KM - 2 day fund raiser ride to conquer cancer. You can read about it here.
http://www.conquercancer.ca/site/TR/Events/Toronto2013?px=3163765&pg=personal&fr_id=1431

I'm thinking that being in a group like that, a helmet is probably a good idea, and I should likely start wearing one anyway.

So, just looking for some input on what to get. I would like to not even know that it is there. Also, I typically wear in-ear type headphones when riding (gasp again), so that needs to be accommodated.

Not too concerned with price, as long as I get what I pay for.

Thanks in advance!

All helmets in the US meet the same safety standards so you're left basing your choice on price, comfort, and appearance.

Fit, weight, and ventilation are what makes a helmet comfortable. Cheaper helmets are heavier, less aggressively ventilated, and generally one-size-fits all (if you're somewhere between small and medium-large). Mid-range and up, helmets are usually sized S, M, and L. Just as shoes are lasted, helmets have different shapes that favor differently shaped heads.

More expensive helmets look more "pro" and are judged to be sexier.

Try a few on for size. You want the smallest helmet that covers your cranium thoroughly, with a few clicks of the adjustment band to spare. That's insurance for bad hair days, fat days, and days you need to wear a cap underneath. For a reasonable compromise, I recommend mid-range helmets in the $55-99 range. A good bike shop salesperson should be able to help you make a good choice.

oldbobcat said:
More expensive helmets look more "pro" and are judged to be sexier. Try a few on for size. You want the smallest helmet that covers your cranium thoroughly, with a few clicks of the adjustment band to spare. That's insurance for bad hair days, fat days, and days you need to wear a cap underneath. For a reasonable compromise, I recommend mid-range helmets in the $55-99 range. A good bike shop salesperson should be able to help you make a good choice.
i have to say that my Scott helmet is one of the favourite parts of my apparel and clothing, anyway i crashed with a dog a few months ago and i smash my head laterally with the asphalt, needless to say that the helmet absorbed the impact,

"I've never bothered to wear a helmet (gasp, I know).

Also, I typically wear in-ear type headphones when riding (gasp again)..."

Oh no! the double-death threat adult that drives nanny-staters crazoid! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I like the Giro line of helmets, but Bell, Specialized, Louis Garneau, Catlike, Kask, LAS, Lazer, Limar, Mavic, Rudy Project, Scott, Spiuk, Trek and other all make ultra-light weight, well ventilated helmets that meet CSPC and/or Snell test specifications.

Fit and styling will drive your choice.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Oh no! the double-death threat adult that drives nanny-staters crazoid! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
Couldn't leave it alone, eh, Bob?