Helmet question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tim, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    I would first like to say that there is always a wealth of knowledge
    floating around here and that I appreciate that. Now then, my helmet got
    dropped from about seven feet and landed on a concrete slab, however after
    thorough inspection it appears to look and feel fine. I even put pressure
    on the shell to see if the foam underneath had been compressed, but it
    hadn't. It is a "middle model" Bell "Furio" (in case that makes any
    difference at all.) What do you guys think?

    Tags:

  2. "Tim" wrote:
    > I would first like to say that there is always a wealth of knowledge
    > floating around here and that I appreciate that. Now then, my helmet got
    > dropped from about seven feet and landed on a concrete slab, however after
    > thorough inspection it appears to look and feel fine. I even put pressure
    > on the shell to see if the foam underneath had been compressed, but it
    > hadn't. It is a "middle model" Bell "Furio" (in case that makes any
    > difference at all.) What do you guys think?

    I wouldn't worry about it.

    Art Harris

  3. "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Tim" wrote:
    > > I would first like to say that there is always a wealth of knowledge
    > > floating around here and that I appreciate that. Now then, my helmet

    got
    > > dropped from about seven feet and landed on a concrete slab, however

    after
    > > thorough inspection it appears to look and feel fine. I even put

    pressure
    > > on the shell to see if the foam underneath had been compressed, but it
    > > hadn't. It is a "middle model" Bell "Furio" (in case that makes any
    > > difference at all.) What do you guys think?

    > I wouldn't worry about it.
    >
    > Art Harris

    Me neither. The only force that was applied to the helmet was the weight of
    the helmet itself, negligible. If mine, I would wear it again with no second
    thoughts.

  4. On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 15:51:16 -0700, "Dave Thompson"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> "Tim" wrote:
    >> > I would first like to say that there is always a wealth of knowledge
    >> > floating around here and that I appreciate that. Now then, my helmet

    >got
    >> > dropped from about seven feet and landed on a concrete slab, however

    >after
    >> > thorough inspection it appears to look and feel fine. I even put

    >pressure
    >> > on the shell to see if the foam underneath had been compressed, but it
    >> > hadn't. It is a "middle model" Bell "Furio" (in case that makes any
    >> > difference at all.) What do you guys think?

    >> I wouldn't worry about it.
    >>
    >> Art Harris
    >>

    >Me neither.

    OMG, how can you guys say this??!!!! It is his life you are talking
    about and you are telling him it is worth nothing ;-)

    JT

  5. Tim wrote:

    > I would first like to say that there is always a wealth of knowledge
    > floating around here and that I appreciate that. Now then, my helmet got
    > dropped from about seven feet and landed on a concrete slab, however after
    > thorough inspection it appears to look and feel fine. I even put pressure
    > on the shell to see if the foam underneath had been compressed, but it
    > hadn't. It is a "middle model" Bell "Furio" (in case that makes any
    > difference at all.) What do you guys think?

    Put it on. Ride down the street on the wrong side of the road. When you
    see the biggest, meanest looking SUV speeding towards you, do a
    full-frontal making sure your head impacts with the radiator grille.

    If you don't survive, it means the helmet was damaged.
    ; )

  6. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 17:31:51 -0500, "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I would first like to say that there is always a wealth of knowledge
    >floating around here and that I appreciate that. Now then, my helmet got
    >dropped from about seven feet and landed on a concrete slab, however after
    >thorough inspection it appears to look and feel fine. I even put pressure
    >on the shell to see if the foam underneath had been compressed, but it
    >hadn't. It is a "middle model" Bell "Furio" (in case that makes any
    >difference at all.) What do you guys think?

    Unless it was strapped onto your melon for that fall, it's no big deal.

    Figure a helmet that could be damaged by its own weight wouldn't do you any good
    anyway.

    Ron

  7. "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I would first like to say that there is always a wealth of knowledge
    > floating around here and that I appreciate that. Now then, my helmet got
    > dropped from about seven feet and landed on a concrete slab, however after
    > thorough inspection it appears to look and feel fine. I even put pressure
    > on the shell to see if the foam underneath had been compressed, but it
    > hadn't. It is a "middle model" Bell "Furio" (in case that makes any
    > difference at all.) What do you guys think?

    It is damaged beyond repair! At least that's what I tell SHMBO so I can buy
    the latest and greatest. If you're still happy with it, it's probably fine.