Helmet rear view mirror

swerf

Guest
Has anyone found a good quality rear view helmet mirror? I have been
through 3 different brands and have yet to find one that lasts. I've
used Blackburn and Third Eye so far and both have fallen apart or get
too loose to stay in position. I've tried the glasses mounted mirrors
and they work okay but I don't always ride with glasses. I've been to
almost every bike shop in Cincinnati and they all sell the same
brands. I don't care how much it costs. I just want something that
won't break on me in the middle of a long ride.

On Jul 2, 12:16 pm, swerf <[email protected]> wrote:
> Has anyone found a good quality rear view helmet mirror? I have been
> through 3 different brands and have yet to find one that lasts. I've
> used Blackburn and Third Eye so far and both have fallen apart or get
> too loose to stay in position. I've tried the glasses mounted mirrors
> and they work okay but I don't always ride with glasses. I've been to
> almost every bike shop in Cincinnati and they all sell the same
> brands. I don't care how much it costs. I just want something that
> won't break on me in the middle of a long ride.

just get and use glasses- you never know when a stone or something can
fly into your eye- when it bounces off your glasses you'll be glad

On Jul 2, 11:16 am, swerf <[email protected]> wrote:
> Has anyone found a good quality rear view helmet mirror? I have been
> through 3 different brands and have yet to find one that lasts. I've
> used Blackburn and Third Eye so far and both have fallen apart or get
> too loose to stay in position. I've tried the glasses mounted mirrors
> and they work okay but I don't always ride with glasses. I've been to
> almost every bike shop in Cincinnati and they all sell the same
> brands. I don't care how much it costs. I just want something that
> won't break on me in the middle of a long ride.

Are you familiar with CycleAware?

http://tinyurl.com/33rouj

They also have an eyeglass mount model.

swerf wrote:
> Has anyone found a good quality rear view helmet mirror? I have been
> through 3 different brands and have yet to find one that lasts. I've
> used Blackburn and Third Eye so far and both have fallen apart or get
> too loose to stay in position. I've tried the glasses mounted mirrors
> and they work okay but I don't always ride with glasses. I've been to
> almost every bike shop in Cincinnati and they all sell the same
> brands. I don't care how much it costs. I just want something that
> won't break on me in the middle of a long ride.

There are these:

http://www.sawheelmen.com/aboutus/merchandise.htm

(bottom of page)

On Jul 2, 1:06 pm, Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
> swerf wrote:
> > Has anyone found a good quality rear view helmet mirror? I have been
> > through 3 different brands and have yet to find one that lasts. I've
> > used Blackburn and Third Eye so far and both have fallen apart or get
> > too loose to stay in position. I've tried the glasses mounted mirrors
> > and they work okay but I don't always ride with glasses. I've been to
> > almost every bike shop in Cincinnati and they all sell the same
> > brands. I don't care how much it costs. I just want something that
> > won't break on me in the middle of a long ride.

> There are these:
>
> http://www.sawheelmen.com/aboutus/merchandise.htm
>
> (bottom of page)

Thanks for the info everyone! I'll let you know how they work out!

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:16:13 +0000, swerf wrote:

I have used one of there fro about ten years, works great.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?
PRRFNBR=16494&CGRFNBR=641&CRPCGNBR=641&CI=1,226,641&TextMode=0

Several LBS in my area sell them.

> Has anyone found a good quality rear view helmet mirror? I have been
> through 3 different brands and have yet to find one that lasts. I've
> used Blackburn and Third Eye so far and both have fallen apart or get
> too loose to stay in position. I've tried the glasses mounted mirrors
> and they work okay but I don't always ride with glasses. I've been to
> almost every bike shop in Cincinnati and they all sell the same brands.
> I don't care how much it costs. I just want something that won't break
> on me in the middle of a long ride.

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:26:39 +0000, Yme wrote:

In case anyone is interested here is a review
http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/cyclingmirrors.htm

> On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:16:13 +0000, swerf wrote:
>
> I have used one of there fro about ten years, works great.
>
> http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?
> PRRFNBR=16494&CGRFNBR=641&CRPCGNBR=641&CI=1,226,641&TextMode=0
>
> Several LBS in my area sell them.
>
>> Has anyone found a good quality rear view helmet mirror? I have been
>> through 3 different brands and have yet to find one that lasts. I've
>> used Blackburn and Third Eye so far and both have fallen apart or get
>> too loose to stay in position. I've tried the glasses mounted mirrors
>> and they work okay but I don't always ride with glasses. I've been to
>> almost every bike shop in Cincinnati and they all sell the same brands.
>> I don't care how much it costs. I just want something that won't break
>> on me in the middle of a long ride.

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:16:13 -0000, swerf wrote:

> Has anyone found a good quality rear view helmet mirror? I have been
> through 3 different brands and have yet to find one that lasts. I've
> used Blackburn and Third Eye so far and both have fallen apart or get
> too loose to stay in position. I've tried the glasses mounted mirrors
> and they work okay but I don't always ride with glasses. I've been to
> almost every bike shop in Cincinnati and they all sell the same
> brands. I don't care how much it costs. I just want something that
> won't break on me in the middle of a long ride.

Duct tape for short answer...but actually there's plenty of high
technology, pleasant looking tape nowadays. There's really no excuse to
have stuff like helmet mounted mirrors fall apart.

I've been very happy with the eyeglass versioin of the Takd-a-Peak
mirror, at many (Trek?) shops. They have a hemlet version.

There is the harder to find "Harris" mirror. They are soldered onto an
old spoke. They are a bit hard to adjust, but they hold it very well.

I tried a Harris but went back to an eyeglass mirror because I found a
helmet sometimes shifted its position a wee bit, making the mirror useless.

On Jul 2, 1:29 pm, Yme <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:26:39 +0000, Yme wrote:
>
> In case anyone is interested here is a reviewhttp://www.icebike.org/Equipment/cyclingmirrors.htm

Note that the Take-a-Look mirror, which the reviewer prefers to all
others, can be used as a helmet mirror. That's how I've used mine for
almost two years, with excellent results. It's hugely adjustable, and
the helmet adaptor is unobtrusive and very stable.