Helmet recommendations

Bean Long

Guest
I'm in the market for a new one. Anyone have any recommendations??
--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Bleve wrote:
> Bean Long wrote:
>> I'm in the market for a new one. Anyone have any recommendations??

> A red one, they go faster.

Hmmm... but my bike is silver. Does this mean I might lose my head if I
get a red one?

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

I 'upgraded' after stacking.. to a Specialized Decibel - RRP AUD$225.

oh.. and a review.. light, very venty, fits spot on (better than my Limar 909 did).. has an Aus standards sticker on it, unlike 'international' orders from ebay :)

On 2006-10-06, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bean Long wrote:
>> I'm in the market for a new one. Anyone have any recommendations??

> A red one, they go faster.

But only if you're going away from whoever's looking at you. Blue ones
go faster if you're going towards them.

Bean Long said:
I'm in the market for a new one. Anyone have any recommendations??

The one that fits your head well...

But maybe I just say that because I have a big head and the only thing that fits is the Limar 909... nothing else fits... that includes the ones that supposedly fit "big head" like the Testagrossa, Decibel and Atmos....

gplama said:
I 'upgraded' after stacking.. to a Specialized Decibel - RRP AUD$225.

oh.. and a review.. light, very venty, fits spot on (better than my Limar 909 did).. has an Aus standards sticker on it, unlike 'international' orders from ebay :)

Was the helmet actually damaged in the stack, or was it being football-spiked into the road that killed it? ;)

Oh yes - if you want to go racing, you really must have that AS sticker... rules, you see...

Ritch

On Oct 6, 10:52 am, gplama
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I 'upgraded' after stacking.. to a Specialized Decibel - RRP AUD$225.
>
> oh.. and a review.. light, very venty, fits spot on (better than my
> Limar 909 did).. has an Aus standards sticker on it, unlike
> 'international' orders from ebay :)

:)

I bought a helmet from Ebay. It was a Bell Sweep R, the same type of
helmet "The Chin" wore on Le Tour.

$135Aus delivered.

If I'd wanted the sticker, it would have set me back an additional $200
or so. Of course I'm not going to spend over three hundred bucks on a
helmet, so if I'd gotten it from an Australian supplier I'd have gone
for something more reasonably priced.. the Bell Solar looks
superficially similar to a Sweep R but when you put them side by side
the Sweep looks much cooler.

I didn't need a super high end racing helmet, but for $135 it was
affordable. It looks good, has lots of vents and is very comfortable.

Travis

Travis wrote:
> On Oct 6, 10:52 am, gplama
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I 'upgraded' after stacking.. to a Specialized Decibel - RRP AUD$225.
> >
> > oh.. and a review.. light, very venty, fits spot on (better than my
> > Limar 909 did).. has an Aus standards sticker on it, unlike
> > 'international' orders from ebay :)

> :)
>
> I bought a helmet from Ebay. It was a Bell Sweep R, the same type of
> helmet "The Chin" wore on Le Tour.
>
> $135Aus delivered.
>
> If I'd wanted the sticker, it would have set me back an additional $200
> or so. Of course I'm not going to spend over three hundred bucks on a
> helmet, so if I'd gotten it from an Australian supplier I'd have gone
> for something more reasonably priced.. the Bell Solar looks
> superficially similar to a Sweep R but when you put them side by side
> the Sweep looks much cooler.
>
> I didn't need a super high end racing helmet, but for $135 it was
> affordable. It looks good, has lots of vents and is very comfortable.
>
> Travis

This is fine as long as you aren't racing, they have been known to
inspect for the sticker...

PiledHigher wrote:
> Travis wrote:
> > On Oct 6, 10:52 am, gplama
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > I 'upgraded' after stacking.. to a Specialized Decibel - RRP AUD$225.
> > >
> > > oh.. and a review.. light, very venty, fits spot on (better than my
> > > Limar 909 did).. has an Aus standards sticker on it, unlike
> > > 'international' orders from ebay :)

> > :)
> >
> > I bought a helmet from Ebay. It was a Bell Sweep R, the same type of
> > helmet "The Chin" wore on Le Tour.
> >
> > $135Aus delivered.
> >
> > If I'd wanted the sticker, it would have set me back an additional $200
> > or so. Of course I'm not going to spend over three hundred bucks on a
> > helmet, so if I'd gotten it from an Australian supplier I'd have gone
> > for something more reasonably priced.. the Bell Solar looks
> > superficially similar to a Sweep R but when you put them side by side
> > the Sweep looks much cooler.
> >
> > I didn't need a super high end racing helmet, but for $135 it was
> > affordable. It looks good, has lots of vents and is very comfortable.
> >
> > Travis

> This is fine as long as you aren't racing, they have been known to
> inspect for the sticker...

Stickers are quite cheap, if you nick one off your kid's helmet! If
your helmet brand and model are sold in Australia and meet the
standard, this would seem a reasonable thing to do.

Donga

gplama wrote:
> I 'upgraded' after stacking.. to a Specialized Decibel - RRP AUD$225.
>
> oh.. and a review.. light, very venty, fits spot on (better than my
> Limar 909 did).. has an Aus standards sticker on it, unlike
> 'international' orders from ebay :)

Just went to my LBS at lunch time and checked out the gear. They had
the Specialized Decibel and it did suit. They had it in my size too.
Just not my price range unfortunately. The only other brand with my
size (I have a very small head - voice goes up an octave) was MET. Most
brands seem to make a one size fits all which is just a little loose on
my noggin and makes me look like a freakin lolly-pop! I was happy with
their Crackerjack which has good ventilation for it's price range (~$90)
so I got it. The next cheapest head ware that would fit was $165 (a
Specialized model) and I didn't want to spend that much. While I think
head protection is paramount in my mind, the price differential was not
in greater head protection.

I came down this week in a bunch and had a little knock on the back of
the helmet. While I'm sure the helmet is probably OK to keep using, I
am more concerned about ensuring a good fit. The old one was a one size
fits all jobby. New helmet and happy now. Thanks for the input all.

Oh, and BTW Bleve, it's red!

--

ritcho said:
Was the helmet actually damaged in the stack, or was it being football-spiked into the road that killed it? ;)

Oh yes - if you want to go racing, you really must have that AS sticker... rules, you see...

It had a small ding in the back/side after my sliding actions, so I'd have been silly to keep using it.

I'm sure insurance companies would be interested in any reasonable sized claims brought about while using a non aus-standards approved helmie.. missing out on a potentially life sustaining payout over a $90 saving is not a risk I'm not going to take...

Bean Long wrote:

> Oh, and BTW Bleve, it's red!

Excellent! It goes faster :)

The only other brand with my
> size (I have a very small head - voice goes up an octave) was MET. Most
> brands seem to make a one size fits all which is just a little loose on
> my noggin and makes me look like a freakin lolly-pop!

Moruya Bicycles have some MET helmets on special at the moment.
http://www.moruyabicycles.com.au/

Go to left hand column and click on specials. I have bought a bit off
them and the service is good.
Halcyon

> Moruya Bicycles have some MET helmets on special at the moment.

> Halcyon

Good if you work for the Weather Bureau

fb

"Stuart Lamble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-10-06, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Bean Long wrote:
>>> I'm in the market for a new one. Anyone have any recommendations??

>> A red one, they go faster.

> But only if you're going away from whoever's looking at you. Blue ones
> go faster if you're going towards them.

What about the car that's coming up behind you? You're travelling in the
direction away from them, but they're getting closer therefore you're moving
towards them (relatively speaking). I think I'd want a red helmet in that
situation, but would it be faster?

Resound wrote:
> "Stuart Lamble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>>A red one, they go faster.

>>But only if you're going away from whoever's looking at you. Blue ones
>>go faster if you're going towards them.
>>

> What about the car that's coming up behind you? You're travelling in the
> direction away from them, but they're getting closer therefore you're moving
> towards them (relatively speaking). I think I'd want a red helmet in that
> situation, but would it be faster?

He was talking about the Doppler shift. At fast speeds an object coming
towards you appears to have a shift to the blue end of the spectrum and
an object moving away appears to have a shift to the red end of the
spectrum (of light.) I think that's how they work out if stars are
moving out with the expanding galaxy or something like that. (If you're
an evolutionist you can ignore all that.)

Friday

"Friday" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Resound wrote:
>> "Stuart Lamble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>But only if you're going away from whoever's looking at you. Blue ones
>>>go faster if you're going towards them.
>>>

>> What about the car that's coming up behind you? You're travelling in the
>> direction away from them, but they're getting closer therefore you're
>> moving towards them (relatively speaking). I think I'd want a red helmet
>> in that situation, but would it be faster?

> He was talking about the Doppler shift. At fast speeds an object coming
> towards you appears to have a shift to the blue end of the spectrum and an
> object moving away appears to have a shift to the red end of the spectrum
> (of light.) I think that's how they work out if stars are moving out with
> the expanding galaxy or something like that. (If you're an evolutionist
> you can ignore all that.)
>
> Friday

Yep, and my whole post was based on that :)

I made the same shift - Limar 909 to Decibel. The decibel fits better, is
easier to adjust and the padding is quite robust.

The Limar padding died twice on my in the space of 12 months - and at $30 a
time to replace not a trivial thing. Also the plastic linkage between the
adjustment band and the helmet on the Limar gave up the ghost about 12
months in making a good fit impossible. Very dissapointing for a helmet
that was the better part of $300.

For $225 the Decibel is excellent - and 12 months of consistent use has not
seen any problems.

news:[email protected]...

Friday wrote:

> He was talking about the Doppler shift. At fast speeds an object coming
> towards you appears to have a shift to the blue end of the spectrum and
> an object moving away appears to have a shift to the red end of the
> spectrum (of light.) I think that's how they work out if stars are
> moving out with the expanding galaxy or something like that. (If you're
> an evolutionist you can ignore all that.)

I hope you mean "creationist" ?? :)

--

Bean Long wrote:
> Friday wrote:
>
>> He was talking about the Doppler shift. At fast speeds an object
>> coming towards you appears to have a shift to the blue end of the
>> spectrum and an object moving away appears to have a shift to the red
>> end of the spectrum (of light.) I think that's how they work out if
>> stars are moving out with the expanding galaxy or something like that.
>> (If you're an evolutionist you can ignore all that.)

> I hope you mean "creationist" ?? :)

Doh!