Helmet report response

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, May 17, 2003.

  1. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On 20 May 2003 12:43:37 -0700 someone who may be
    [email protected] (Lin) wrote this:-

    >Can you prove the DTI and the researchers acted in bad faith and had a hidden agenda in
    >commissioning the report?

    Unfortunately there is no real freedom of information in the UK. Thus one must adopt Kremlinology in
    order to try and work out what went on in the minds of those concerned.

    >It's bad tactics to piss off Ministers and DTI when they are the decision makers you need to
    >influence.

    Only if one believes that they are susceptible to reasoned argument. In the case of cycle helmets,
    like car seat belts before, it is clear that they are not.

    >But since it was published as a research paper on DTI's website, it is, technically and
    >descriptively, a research paper.

    A research paper describes research, which involves some novel investigation. Choosing papers that
    support a pre-decided view while ignoring their flaws is not how a research paper is produced.

    Such an exercise cannot be made into a research paper by the assertions of a government department,
    no matter how loud or long these assertions are.

  2. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Lin wrote:
    > it should be two pages of A4 maximum.

    Good advice, but remarkably difficult to follow.

    I'll usually try to keep a letter below one page of A4. This time I tried to keep it below 2, and I
    eventually managed it (excluding references). It wasn't easy though, and I don't think I've ever
    spent quite so much time drafting a letter.

    Anyway, here's the result: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/cycling/dft01.html

    Thomas Paine

  3. Excellent stuff Danny, is it ok if I crib a word or two?

    I must point out that I think your language is too conciliatory, and since it is now obvious that
    the DfT has no intention of abiding by any "rules" "truth" or "logic" my language will be just as
    considered, but somewhat more blunt. We have suffered these fools long enough, time to kick ass.

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Lin wrote:
    > > it should be two pages of A4 maximum.
    >
    > Good advice, but remarkably difficult to follow.
    >
    > I'll usually try to keep a letter below one page of A4. This time I tried to keep it below 2, and
    > I eventually managed it (excluding references). It wasn't easy though, and I don't think I've ever
    > spent quite so much time drafting a letter.
    >
    > Anyway, here's the result: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/cycling/dft01.html
    >
    > --
    > Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    > http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    > Thomas Paine

  4. > I must point out that I think your language is too conciliatory, and since it is now obvious that
    > the DfT has no intention of abiding by any "rules" "truth" or "logic" my language will be just as
    > considered, but somewhat more blunt. We have suffered these fools long enough, time to kick ass.

    Which the CTC is now doing, although I haven't yet read the letter enclosed with their magazine,
    just arrived in the post.

    It looks as if the London Cycling Campaign will join in.

    Comments should be sent where it matters, I guess. Here, it's just preaching to the choir.

    Jeremy Parker

  5. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Richard Burton wrote:
    > Excellent stuff Danny, is it ok if I crib a word or two?

    Of course, thanks. I would ask that people don't copy too much of it verbatim, since we don't
    want them getting lots of identical letters, but then you're an experienced enough campaigner to
    know that.

    Thomas Paine

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 23:04:32 +0100, "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I think your language is too conciliatory, and since it is now obvious that the DfT has no
    >intention of abiding by any "rules" "truth" or "logic" my language will be just as considered, but
    >somewhat more blunt.

    There is not much point, as has been said earlier, in implying bad faith or a hidden agenda on the
    part of the Department - to do so might be actionable, so I urge caution. A good hint from Lin was
    to ask specific questions, to which they should then provide an answer.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.