Helmet report, write now!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Burton, May 11, 2003.

  1. The following is lifted from the latest edition of the CCN news, so apologies to them.

    As already widely discussed in this group, HMG has seen fit to issue a report into cycle helmets, in
    April this year. The report has received considerable criticism, but it is apparent that the DfT's
    Road Safety Division is using the extremely questionable results to take some draconion measures
    about helmets, including refusing to allow any pictures of un-helmeted cyclists in official
    documents.

    The research has been criticised in an article by John Franklin.

    The CCN article suggests that concerned cyclists should read the report and the criticism and make
    their views known to Tony Blair, Alastair Darling, John Spellar.

    The research is available at www.roads.dft.gov.uk/roadsafety/roadresearch/bicyclehelmets/index.htm

    and the criticism at www.cyclenetwork.org.uk/papers/broader.pdf

    I am anti-compulsion myself, but I think that anyone reading these documents, even pro-compulsion
    people, will be disgusted and concerned at the way this research has been done.

    Cheers

    Rich

    Tags:

  2. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The CCN article suggests that concerned cyclists should read the report
    and
    > the criticism and make their views known to Tony Blair, Alastair Darling, John Spellar.

    There is only one way to make Tony Blair and his sycophantic minions take notice and that is to make
    a fat donation to the Labour Party. This will entitle you to a nice quick "U" turn on any
    legislation which adversely affects you.

    If every concerned cyclist chipped in a couple of quid that should do it. New Labour are very
    cheaply bought.

    Bill

  3. Guy Chapman

    Guy Chapman Guest

    "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > The research has been criticised in an article by John Franklin.

    Well the Government wouldn't want to listen to an expert who knows what he's talking about,
    would they?

    The report is very good - an excellent rebuttal of the Governmental monomania about polystyrene foam
    deflector beanies.