Helmet rule

Michael

Guest
What's the helmet rule this year? All helmets, all the time?

Michael wrote:
> What's the helmet rule this year? All helmets, all the time?

With fewer commercial interruptions.....

WTdF..Oui Keep Rolling On.....

(now perhaps someone will arrive with the serious answer)

Scoot
SDG

In article <[email protected]>,
"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote:

> What's the helmet rule this year? All helmets, all the time?

Yes. I think 2005 was the year when they eliminated the exception for
mountain finishes.

TT helmets also have to be actual approved, foam-lined helmets as well.
Previous to 2005 (2004?) they were just plastic or carbon shells made to
improve the aerodynamics of the rider's head.

That said, it's for the races. These guys still routinely train and warm
up in cloth caps.

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 04:39:21 GMT, "Michael"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What's the helmet rule this year? All helmets, all the time?

Where? In what events?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

"Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> What's the helmet rule this year? All helmets, all the time?

> Yes. I think 2005 was the year when they eliminated the exception for
> mountain finishes.
>
> TT helmets also have to be actual approved, foam-lined helmets as well.
> Previous to 2005 (2004?) they were just plastic or carbon shells made to
> improve the aerodynamics of the rider's head.
>
> That said, it's for the races. These guys still routinely train and warm
> up in cloth caps.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau

Thanks, Ryan. Seems an overreaction to have guys wearing helmets
going up l'Alpe d'Huez.

in 513021 20060711 003609 "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks, Ryan. Seems an overreaction to have guys wearing helmets
>going up l'Alpe d'Huez.

The alternative, as we saw, was to have helmets being thrown at spectators at
the foot of the final climb.

In article <[email protected]>,
Bob Martin <[email protected]> wrote:

> in 513021 20060711 003609 "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Thanks, Ryan. Seems an overreaction to have guys wearing helmets
> >going up l'Alpe d'Huez.

> The alternative, as we saw, was to have helmets being thrown at spectators at
> the foot of the final climb.

I know which I'd prefer.

This is as good a place as any to mention it: somewhere in the middle of
one of last week's stages, I happened to catch the live coverage as one
rider tossed a water bottle at speed to a lucky fan. You could clearly
see the fan taking the 40 km/h bottle in the gut and reacting to the
impact.

No ZiZou, but pretty funny,

in message <[email protected]>, Ryan
Cousineau ('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Bob Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> in 513021 20060711 003609 "Michael" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks, Ryan. Seems an overreaction to have guys wearing helmets
>> >going up l'Alpe d'Huez.

>> The alternative, as we saw, was to have helmets being thrown at
>> spectators at the foot of the final climb.

> I know which I'd prefer.

In all seriousness, how has the casualty rate in pro cycling changed
since mandatory helmets were introduced?

;; Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 07:43:17 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Bob Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> in 513021 20060711 003609 "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks, Ryan. Seems an overreaction to have guys wearing helmets
>> >going up l'Alpe d'Huez.

>> The alternative, as we saw, was to have helmets being thrown at spectators at
>> the foot of the final climb.

>I know which I'd prefer.
>
>This is as good a place as any to mention it: somewhere in the middle of
>one of last week's stages, I happened to catch the live coverage as one
>rider tossed a water bottle at speed to a lucky fan. You could clearly
>see the fan taking the 40 km/h bottle in the gut and reacting to the
>impact.
>
>No ZiZou, but pretty funny,

Tom Steels with a dash of Cantona.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

In article <[email protected]>,
Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> in message <[email protected]>, Ryan
> Cousineau ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Bob Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> in 513021 20060711 003609 "Michael" <[email protected]>

> >> The alternative, as we saw, was to have helmets being thrown at
> >> spectators at the foot of the final climb.

> > I know which I'd prefer.

> In all seriousness, how has the casualty rate in pro cycling changed
> since mandatory helmets were introduced?

It's not a useful question, since the death rate in pro cycling is too
low to make any useful assessments. There have been two riders killed in
crashes during the TdF during its entire history. There's been, what,
two fatal pro racing accidents in the last two decades? Someone else
will have a better idea.

Regarding head injuries, well, also not common. I don't know how many
riders have had a concussion lately.

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:02:28 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

>It's not a useful question, since the death rate in pro cycling is too
>low to make any useful assessments. There have been two riders killed in
>crashes during the TdF during its entire history. There's been, what,
>two fatal pro racing accidents in the last two decades? Someone else
>will have a better idea.

I agree with your general premise, but there have been deaths while
training and there have been deaths at other levels of pro racing.
OTOH, there probably are too few pros to have a really good population
for much more than to fuel rbr rumors and speculation and maybe scrape
together a Chung chart.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

in message <[email protected]>, Ryan
Cousineau ('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> in message <[email protected]>, Ryan
>> Cousineau ('[email protected]') wrote:

>> > I know which I'd prefer.

>> In all seriousness, how has the casualty rate in pro cycling changed
>> since mandatory helmets were introduced?

> It's not a useful question, since the death rate in pro cycling is too
> low to make any useful assessments. There have been two riders killed
> in crashes during the TdF during its entire history. There's been,
> what, two fatal pro racing accidents in the last two decades? Someone
> else will have a better idea.

I don't want to start a helmet flame war here; there are plenty of other
places for them, heaven knows. But it /is/ a useful question. The pros
are being forced to wear helmets, and those of us at club level (at
least here in Scotland) are being forced to wear helmets, for no very
obvious reason I can see; the number of injuries in sport cycling which
a helmet could effectively mitigate has always (as you say) been very
low, and no-one seems to be collecting useful statistics on whether
enforced helmet wearing is lowering the further.

Morning had broken. I found a rather battered tube of Araldite
resin in the bottom of the toolbag.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> I don't want to start a helmet flame war here;

Dumbass,
If you want to start a helmet flame war you should crosspost to rbt (and
rbs). Thats elementary.

in message <[email protected]>, Donald
Munro ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> I don't want to start a helmet flame war here;

> Dumbass,
> If you want to start a helmet flame war you should crosspost to rbt
> (and rbs). Thats elementary.

Dumbass,
If I did, I would. If I wanted to indulge in a helmet war, there's been
one raging on uk.rec.cycling for about ten years. I'd much rather keep
at least one group free of 'em.

;; 'I think we should trust our president in every decision
;; that he makes and we should just support that'
;; Britney Spears of George W Bush, CNN 04:09:03

Simon Brooke wrote:
> Dumbass,
> If I did, I would. If I wanted to indulge in a helmet war, there's been
> one raging on uk.rec.cycling for about ten years. I'd much rather keep
> at least one group free of 'em.

Can't you redirect the kunich entity/robot there.

This season there have been three cyclists killed in this area. One just
last Sunday on the House of Pain ride.

1) Guy on the Primavera riding downhill in a close pack of people he didn't
know. Someone touched the brake, caught his wheel and he went over the bars
onto his head.

2) Guy in the Sierra Century coming off of Daisy Hill or whatever it's
called. A long medium fast downhill into town. He passes a truck on a turn,
there's a car coming the other way and he pulled too close to the truck and
tried to push himself off of the spinning rear wheel of the truck. Thrown
into the oncoming car.

3) Local hero on the fastest ride in the area training for the
Championships. Going 25+ mph cuts a corner and goes headfirst into a truck
almost at a stop. Truck tries to avoid the cyclist and clips his buddy on
his wheel. Luckily the buddy sustained relatively minor injuries if you can
call watching your pal die minor.

If they'd only been wearing a helmet they'd all be alive today. Whoops they
all WERE wearing helmets.

No helmet made can make up for what's under it. It should be the riders
option whether to wear a helmet or not. One thing is absolutely certain,
given the option very few riders wear helmets and almost none on hard
climbs.