Helmet style question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by fender5791, May 29, 2011.

1. fender5791

fender5791 New Member

Anyone have any recommendations on helmets for a larger head? My face is more long than wide, so most helmets just look like a mushroom top on the top of my skull and I can't seem to find one with a more reasonable fit.

Tags:

2. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

I would recommend going to your local bike shop (that really knows there stuff) and have them help you with trying some helmets on. Its really important to get a helmet that protects all sides of your head. It is difficult (knowbody knows more than myself) to put aside looks over functionality. I had the giro ionis for a year not even realizing that it didn't fit my head correctly till I was at my local bike shop and one of the employees had mentioned it to me. he helped me try on 6 or 7+ helmets and came across the specialized S-Works helmet. Protetced my head all around front to back. I was recently in a wicked crash last weekend where I had flipped over my bars and landed straight on the back of my helmet. The helmet crack, but did its job. no surprise I went out and replced it with the same one.

advising which helmet would fit you best would be like suggesting which saddle will fit your body best. wont know until you try it on. Things to look for is gaps between your head and the helmet. burning or a feeling of it being to tight in a certain location. and last, you dont want the helmet to slide forward or back on your head.

Hope that helps a little.

3. OldGoat

OldGoat New Member

The Giro Atmos comes in small/medium/large. I think it's being discontinued, but is still available at clearance pricing. Good helmet for those endowed with large brains (or oversized egos).

4. BikeyGuy

BikeyGuy New Member

I found a company that has helmet sizes between the small and large that both Giro and Bell offer.

Worth looking into. Good luck.

spiuk.com