Helmet Suggestions for Big Heads?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sid Heaton, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. Sid Heaton

    Sid Heaton Guest

    Hey all,

    Does anyone out there have any recommendations of helmets for people
    with larger than average heads? My dome checks in at about 7 3/4. I
    feel squeezed in the few helmets I've had the chance to try. Anyone
    else out there in a similar situation have a recommendation? This
    would be mainly for road biking.

    Thanks,

    - Sid

    Tags:

  2. > Does anyone out there have any recommendations of helmets for people
    > with larger than average heads? My dome checks in at about 7 3/4. I
    > feel squeezed in the few helmets I've had the chance to try. Anyone
    > else out there in a similar situation have a recommendation? This
    > would be mainly for road biking.

    Not too many choices beyond the Bell "Kinghead." It's nothing fancy;
    downright old-school in terms of retention strap design, but it is, in fact,
    big. Very big. It's the helmet we carry for those who can't fit anything
    else.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  3. foldedpath

    foldedpath Guest

    Sid Heaton <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > Does anyone out there have any recommendations of helmets for people
    > with larger than average heads? My dome checks in at about 7 3/4. I
    > feel squeezed in the few helmets I've had the chance to try. Anyone
    > else out there in a similar situation have a recommendation? This
    > would be mainly for road biking.

    I have a 25" circumference around the 'ol melon. Most hats labeled 7 3/4
    are too tight on me. Normal "L" sized bicycle helmets look like a beanie,
    or a yarmulka, on my head.

    I use a Bell Kinghead when I wear a helmet, which isn't all the time... but
    that's another story. It's ugly, but it fits my fat head.

    Your only other option for a XXL helmet is a Gyro Atlas. I haven't tried
    that yet. Nashbar and Supergo carry it.

    --
    Mike Barrs

  4. Darin McGrew

    Darin McGrew Guest

    Sid Heaton <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Does anyone out there have any recommendations of helmets for people
    > with larger than average heads? My dome checks in at about 7 3/4. I
    > feel squeezed in the few helmets I've had the chance to try. Anyone
    > else out there in a similar situation have a recommendation? This
    > would be mainly for road biking.

    My solution was to try on lots of helmets. There's a bit of variation even
    with the same model, and there's quite a bit of variation in the shape of
    different models. Once I found a model that was close, it took a few more
    tries to find a particular helmet that fit well.

    If that doesn't work, then you probably need one of the specialty helmets
    suggested by others.
    --
    Darin McGrew, [email protected]rdalumni.org, http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/

    "If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him,
    is he still wrong?"

  5. pam_in_sc

    pam_in_sc Guest

    Sid Heaton wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > Does anyone out there have any recommendations of helmets for people
    > with larger than average heads? My dome checks in at about 7 3/4. I
    > feel squeezed in the few helmets I've had the chance to try. Anyone
    > else out there in a similar situation have a recommendation? This
    > would be mainly for road biking.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > - Sid

    My head is long and narrow, and I was told by a good bike shop that
    Specialized is the best brand for that shape. Their large fit me, where
    other brands' size large was too small.

    Pam

  6. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:50:42 -0700, Sid Heaton wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > Does anyone out there have any recommendations of helmets for people with
    > larger than average heads? My dome checks in at about 7 3/4. I feel
    > squeezed in the few helmets I've had the chance to try. Anyone else out
    > there in a similar situation have a recommendation? This would be mainly
    > for road biking.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > - Sid

    I'm a 7 7/8 and find that cheap Bells are usually the best fit
    and most affordable for my noggin. Giros are painful. If you have a Costco
    membership, I remember that they had a helmet there a few months ago that
    I tried on--it was a close fit, but comfortable, didn't look like an
    upside down dingy and cost less than twenty dollars.