Helmet threads...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Arsenault, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. Can't we all just agree that there will be people who will support
    wearing of helmets at all times, and there will be people who don't
    want to wear helmets all of the time? I mean, we are all "adults",
    I think. So make your own choices. Unless you're a kid, then do
    what your parents tell you to do.

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (Tom Arsenault) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Can't we all just agree that there will be people who will support
    > wearing of helmets at all times, and there will be people who don't
    > want to wear helmets all of the time? I mean, we are all "adults",
    > I think. So make your own choices. Unless you're a kid, then do
    > what your parents tell you to do.
    >
    > Tom

    Helmet Threads... now there's a thought... screw on helmets.

  3. JFJones

    JFJones Guest

    [email protected] (Tom Arsenault) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Can't we all just agree that there will be people who will support
    > wearing of helmets at all times, and there will be people who don't
    > want to wear helmets all of the time?

    .... a no-brainer.

    > I mean, we are all "adults", I think. So make your own choices. Unless
    > you're a kid, then do what your parents tell you to do.
    >
    > Tom

    .... but in some jurisdictions if you're a kid cyclist, the nanny state
    takes over as parent and makes you wear a helmet. In other
    jurisdictions Oz, NZ, SA, some Canadian provinces and elsewhere, if
    you are an adult cyclist, nanny treats you just like the kids.

    .... there'd probably be no helmet threads if the health and safety
    bigots would just let each and every cyclist decide for him or
    herself.

  4. "JFJones" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > I mean, we are all "adults", I think. So make your own choices.

    Unless
    > > you're a kid, then do what your parents tell you to do.
    > >
    > > Tom

    > ... but in some jurisdictions if you're a kid cyclist, the nanny state
    > takes over as parent and makes you wear a helmet. In other
    > jurisdictions Oz, NZ, SA, some Canadian provinces and elsewhere, if
    > you are an adult cyclist, nanny treats you just like the kids.
    >
    > ... there'd probably be no helmet threads if the health and safety
    > bigots would just let each and every cyclist decide for him or
    > herself.

    Those jurisdictions include the UCI.

  5. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Tom Arsenault) wrote:

    > Can't we all just agree that there will be people who will support
    > wearing of helmets at all times, and there will be people who don't
    > want to wear helmets all of the time? I mean, we are all "adults",
    > I think. So make your own choices. Unless you're a kid, then do
    > what your parents tell you to do.
    >
    > Tom

    If you're referring to the ongoing helmet thread and its various
    spinoffs, I think the helmet part has become somewhat extraneous. It looks
    like it's degenerated into a simple shit-slinging match. So don't be
    surprised if it goes on for years at the same level.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    A billion + 2 followups...

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  6. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    ac[email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote:

    > [email protected] (Tom Arsenault) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Can't we all just agree that there will be people who will support
    > > wearing of helmets at all times, and there will be people who don't
    > > want to wear helmets all of the time? I mean, we are all "adults",
    > > I think. So make your own choices. Unless you're a kid, then do
    > > what your parents tell you to do.
    > >
    > > Tom

    > Helmet Threads... now there's a thought... screw on helmets.

    Fine pitch, or coarse? Double or triple start? Metric, or SAE?

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    A billion + 2 followups...

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  7. JFJones

    JFJones Guest

    "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "JFJones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > I mean, we are all "adults", I think. So make your own choices.

    > Unless
    > > > you're a kid, then do what your parents tell you to do.
    > > >
    > > > Tom

    > > ... but in some jurisdictions if you're a kid cyclist, the nanny state
    > > takes over as parent and makes you wear a helmet. In other
    > > jurisdictions Oz, NZ, SA, some Canadian provinces and elsewhere, if
    > > you are an adult cyclist, nanny treats you just like the kids.
    > >
    > > ... there'd probably be no helmet threads if the health and safety
    > > bigots would just let each and every cyclist decide for him or
    > > herself.

    > Those jurisdictions include the UCI.

    Yes, nannies exist in pro racing too but once the pros are outside of
    the UCI's jurisdiction they take off their helmets.

    Regardless, the main issue is not an argument over helmets and their
    efficacy (or lack of), but rather the freedom to choose either for
    oneself or on behalf of one's children. If the control freaks would
    just fade away, so would most of the helmet threads.

  8. h squared

    h squared Guest

    JFJones wrote:
    > but rather the freedom to choose either for
    > oneself or on behalf of one's children.

    after my childhood, i'm not so eager to leave everything in the hands of parents.

    heather

  9. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Is this acceptable?

  10. Robert Chung wrote:

    > Is this acceptable?

    Only if he doesn't stick the second one down his shorts.

    --
    Bill "chicks dig you for your sense of humor anyway" Asher

  11. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    h squared <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > JFJones wrote:
    > > but rather the freedom to choose either for
    > > oneself or on behalf of one's children.

    > after my childhood, i'm not so eager to leave everything in the hands of parents.

    My parenthood has led me to a similar conclusion.

  12. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > "JFJones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > I mean, we are all "adults", I think. So make your own choices.

    > Unless
    > > > you're a kid, then do what your parents tell you to do.
    > > >
    > > > Tom

    > > ... but in some jurisdictions if you're a kid cyclist, the nanny state
    > > takes over as parent and makes you wear a helmet. In other
    > > jurisdictions Oz, NZ, SA, some Canadian provinces and elsewhere, if
    > > you are an adult cyclist, nanny treats you just like the kids.
    > >
    > > ... there'd probably be no helmet threads if the health and safety
    > > bigots would just let each and every cyclist decide for him or
    > > herself.

    > Those jurisdictions include the UCI.

    Note that the USCF requires racers to wear helmets even if they're not
    racing - if they're RIDING to a race they can be disqualified. Now that is
    really a nanny-statist.

  13. warren

    warren Guest

    Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    > > Unless

    > > > ... but in some jurisdictions if you're a kid cyclist, the nanny state
    > > > takes over as parent and makes you wear a helmet. In other
    > > > jurisdictions Oz, NZ, SA, some Canadian provinces and elsewhere, if
    > > > you are an adult cyclist, nanny treats you just like the kids.
    > > >
    > > > ... there'd probably be no helmet threads if the health and safety
    > > > bigots would just let each and every cyclist decide for him or
    > > > herself.

    > > Those jurisdictions include the UCI.

    > Note that the USCF requires racers to wear helmets even if they're not
    > racing - if they're RIDING to a race they can be disqualified. Now that is
    > really a nanny-statist.

    I think the USCF requires it because their insurance company requires
    it. More like a lawyer-statist.

    -WG

  14. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    >From: warren [email protected]

    >I think the USCF requires it because their insurance company requires
    >it. More like a lawyer-statist.
    >
    >-WG

    Even though I am not crazy about the ruling, it has been a point of emphasis
    this year for officials, and we have enforced it. The fun part is when the
    Canadians start bitching about nasty American laws and you ask them whether
    helmets are UCI mandated.
    Bill C