Helmet transport

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bomba, Feb 17, 2003.

  1. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    I'm flying with the bike this week and it's just occured to me that possibly the most difficult bit
    will be transporting the helmet without it getting crushed. The options as I see it are:
    a) Take it as hand luggage
    b) Pack it in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothes
    c) Wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in with the bike

    Any hints?

    --
    d.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

    e.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > I'm flying with the bike this week and it's just occured to me that possibly the most difficult
    > bit will be transporting the helmet without it getting crushed. The options as I see it are:
    > a) Take it as hand luggage
    > b) Pack it in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothes
    > c) Wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in with the bike
    >
    > Any hints?

    Wear it.

    Shaun aRe - HTH, HAND.

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >>I'm flying with the bike this week and it's just occured to me that possibly the most difficult
    >>bit will be transporting the helmet without it getting crushed. The options as I see it are:
    >>a) Take it as hand luggage
    >>b) Pack it in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothes
    >>c) Wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in with the bike
    >>
    >>Any hints?
    >

    > Wear it.

    Cheers. I'm already concerned about being anally raped by Special Branch under the new terrorist
    laws (aka, 'remove all your rights') and current paranoia sweeping UK airports. I'm sure wandering
    through customs in a helmet with barbed wire pictured on it would single me out for some 'special
    attention'. As well as making me look like an absolute wingnut, of course...

    BTW, if they're going to shoot down a plane with a surface to air missile, do you reckon they'd go
    for one of the higher profile airlines, like BA, or one of the cheapos, like Buzz?

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > I'm flying with the bike this week and it's just occured to me that possibly the most difficult
    > bit will be transporting the helmet without it getting crushed. The options as I see it are:
    > a) Take it as hand luggage
    > b) Pack it in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothes
    > c) Wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in with the bike
    >
    > Any hints?
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

    You could get one of those "protective sheaths". I think Giro make one.

    Don't put it in with the bike. I did this once and got a great big wedge ripped out of the foam.

  5. On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:38:14 +0100, bomba did issue forth:

    > I'm flying with the bike this week and it's just occured to me that possibly the most difficult
    > bit will be transporting the helmet without it getting crushed. The options as I see it are:
    > a) Take it as hand luggage
    > b) Pack it in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothes
    > c) Wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in with the bike

    I think if you pack it with your bike, then you're asking for trouble. My distrust of baggage
    handlers is such that I wouldn't trust it in my hold luggage either.

    Personally, I'd shove it in my hand luggage. If it gets damaged then, you've only got
    yourself to blame.

  6. bomba wrote:

    > b) Pack it in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothes

    This has worked for me in the past.

    Barry

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > >>I'm flying with the bike this week and it's just occured to me that possibly the most difficult
    > >>bit will be transporting the helmet without it getting crushed. The options as I see it are:
    > >>a) Take it as hand luggage
    > >>b) Pack it in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothes
    > >>c) Wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in with the bike
    > >>
    > >>Any hints?
    > >

    > > Wear it.
    >
    > Cheers. I'm already concerned about being anally raped by Special Branch under the new terrorist
    > laws (aka, 'remove all your rights') and current paranoia sweeping UK airports.

    Nah, they'd just do it 'cos you a purdy bwoy.

    > I'm sure wandering through customs in a helmet with barbed wire pictured on it would single me out
    > for some 'special attention'. As well as making me look like an absolute wingnut, of course...

    Heheheheh! 'Hey, kid, where's yer bike?'

    You'd be better off with a foil beanie......

    > BTW, if they're going to shoot down a plane with a surface to air missile, do you reckon they'd go
    > for one of the higher profile airlines, like BA, or one of the cheapos, like Buzz?

    BA, defo.

    Shaun aRe

  8. bomba wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >I'm flying with the bike this week and it's just occured to me that possibly the most difficult bit
    >will be transporting the helmet without it getting crushed. The options as I see it are:
    >a) Take it as hand luggage
    >b) Pack it in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothes
    >c) Wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in with the bike
    >
    >Any hints?

    Wear it. Better yet, wear it, then wrap a towel over the top of it to "protect it". Also you should
    protect your cycle computer. Put it in a clear bag, along with some spare gear cables. Also foreign
    people have trouble understanding a Brit accent. Take saying "hello" for instance, the air hostess
    will never understand this, try dropping the 'h' and pronouncing it 'alla'. So to recap - when you
    board the airplane make sure you're wearing your towel-protected helmet, then show the air-hostess
    your clear bag of cycle computer and gear cables and to put her at ease say a friendly 'alla'.

    Steve E.

  9. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >>>Wear it.
    >>
    >>Cheers. I'm already concerned about being anally raped by Special Branch under the new terrorist
    >>laws (aka, 'remove all your rights') and current paranoia sweeping UK airports.
    >

    > Nah, they'd just do it 'cos you a purdy bwoy.

    Oh, and I thought you hadn't noticed... :~D

    >>I'm sure wandering through customs in a helmet with barbed wire pictured on it would single me out
    >>for some 'special attention'. As well as making me look like an absolute wingnut, of course...
    >

    > Heheheheh! 'Hey, kid, where's yer bike?'

    Hehe. Reminds me of the Montpellier round of the European Sevens Series last year. There's a certain
    trend in pro rugby to wear these fingerless mitts that have a special sticky coating that supposedly
    improves handling in the wet
    (http://www.worldrugbyshop.co.za/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=152). However, one of the
    Belgian players obviously couldn't afford them (and had failed to notice the 30+ deg heat) and was
    wearing cycling gloves instead. Cue many comments similar to the above (but in French), and a heap
    of grief. And to compound the misery, we tonked them by over 20 points.

    > You'd be better off with a foil beanie......

    That's staying in my jacket pocket where it's accessible at all times.

    >>BTW, if they're going to shoot down a plane with a surface to air missile, do you reckon they'd go
    >>for one of the higher profile airlines, like BA, or one of the cheapos, like Buzz?
    >

    > BA, defo.

    My thoughts to. Good job I'm a skinflint ;~)

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    spademan o---[)* wrote:

    > Wear it. Better yet, wear it, then wrap a towel over the top of it to "protect it". Also you
    > should protect your cycle computer. Put it in a clear bag, along with some spare gear cables.
    > Also foreign people have trouble understanding a Brit accent. Take saying "hello" for instance,
    > the air hostess will never understand this, try dropping the 'h' and pronouncing it 'alla'. So to
    > recap - when you board the airplane make sure you're wearing your towel-protected helmet, then
    > show the air-hostess your clear bag of cycle computer and gear cables and to put her at ease say
    > a friendly 'alla'.

    Brilliant. Now all I have to do is work on my Arabian appearance by working out a way to get rid of
    my blonde hair, freckles and pale blue skin...

  11. On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:25:45 +0100, bomba did issue forth:

    > Brilliant. Now all I have to do is work on my Arabian appearance by working out a way to get rid
    > of my blonde hair, freckles and pale blue skin...

    Well, that's addressed my query of how we'll recognise you in the carpark at Nantmawr.

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Huw Pritchard wrote:

    >>Brilliant. Now all I have to do is work on my Arabian appearance by working out a way to get rid
    >>of my blonde hair, freckles and pale blue skin...
    >

    > Well, that's addressed my query of how we'll recognise you in the carpark at Nantmawr.

    Well, I could just say that I'll be the one with the Ford Focus and the red Kona, and to be honest,
    I've seen piccies of everyone else, so I shouldn't imagine it would be a problem. However, I'll post
    a piccy this evening.

  13. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    I don't see anything wrong with carrying it on strapped to your day pack. Skiers do it all the time.
    Or they used to....

    Penny S

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    spademan o---[)* <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > bomba wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    > >I'm flying with the bike this week and it's just occured to me that possibly the most difficult
    > >bit will be transporting the helmet without it getting crushed. The options as I see it are:
    > >a) Take it as hand luggage
    > >b) Pack it in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothes
    > >c) Wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in with the bike
    > >
    > >Any hints?
    > >

    > Wear it. Better yet, wear it, then wrap a towel over the top of it to "protect it". Also you
    > should protect your cycle computer. Put it in a clear bag, along with some spare gear cables. Also
    > foreign people have trouble
    understanding
    > a Brit accent. Take saying "hello" for instance, the air hostess will
    never
    > understand this, try dropping the 'h' and pronouncing it 'alla'. So to recap - when you board the
    > airplane make sure you're wearing your towel-protected helmet, then show the air-hostess your
    > clear bag of cycle computer and gear cables and to put her at ease say a friendly 'alla'.
    >
    > Steve E.

    Heheheheh - yup, thassa way to do it!

    Shaun aRe - Bomba da bomba!

  15. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:25:45 +0100, bomba did issue forth:
    >
    > > Brilliant. Now all I have to do is work on my Arabian appearance by working out a way to get rid
    > > of my blonde hair, freckles and pale blue skin...
    >
    > Well, that's addressed my query of how we'll recognise you in the carpark at Nantmawr.

    I was wondering how to solve this problem. I was going to bring the Continental R for full on
    sore-thumbness but as I've fixed the suspension on the Escort I expect I'll take that instead, to
    save the mud marks on my Connoly hide.

    Andy Chequer

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > >>Cheers. I'm already concerned about being anally raped by Special Branch under the new terrorist
    > >>laws (aka, 'remove all your rights') and current paranoia sweeping UK airports.
    > >

    > > Nah, they'd just do it 'cos you a purdy bwoy.
    >
    > Oh, and I thought you hadn't noticed... :~D

    Heheheheheh......

    > >>I'm sure wandering through customs in a helmet with barbed wire pictured on it would single me
    > >>out for some 'special attention'. As well as making me look like an absolute wingnut, of
    > >>course...
    > >

    > > Heheheheh! 'Hey, kid, where's yer bike?'
    >
    > Hehe. Reminds me of the Montpellier round of the European Sevens Series last year. There's a
    > certain trend in pro rugby to wear these fingerless mitts that have a special sticky coating that
    > supposedly improves handling in the wet

    (http://www.worldrugbyshop.co.za/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=152).
    > However, one of the Belgian players obviously couldn't afford them (and had failed to notice the
    > 30+ deg heat) and was wearing cycling gloves instead. Cue many comments similar to the above
    > (but in French), and a heap of grief. And to compound the misery, we tonked them by over 20
    > points.

    Bunch of meanies! ',;~}

    > > You'd be better off with a foil beanie......
    >
    > That's staying in my jacket pocket where it's accessible at all times.

    They have these beams, see........big psychic radio beams.......

    > >>BTW, if they're going to shoot down a plane with a surface to air missile, do you reckon they'd
    > >>go for one of the higher profile airlines, like BA, or one of the cheapos, like Buzz?
    > >

    > > BA, defo.
    >
    > My thoughts to. Good job I'm a skinflint ;~)

    Oh aye - if you got a BA flight, you'd be a gonner fer sure....especially if the USAF was in
    the aria.....

    Shaun aRe - _really_ looking forward to next Sunday, but, not without a little
    trepidation.....heheheh....

    P.s. for Huw - if you are a big hard lad, I actually think the Welsh are cool, and vastly superior
    to us poxy Englandiers....I was just being sarcastic when I called you mean names, honest
    guv.......

  17. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Huw Pritchard wrote:
    >
    > >>Brilliant. Now all I have to do is work on my Arabian appearance by working out a way to get rid
    > >>of my blonde hair, freckles and pale blue skin...
    > >

    > > Well, that's addressed my query of how we'll recognise you in the
    carpark
    > > at Nantmawr.
    >
    > Well, I could just say that I'll be the one with the Ford Focus

    My mate Paul's got one o' them, a black un.

    > and the red Kona,

    He don't have one o' them though - he gots a gun metal grey marin FS.

    > and to be honest, I've seen piccies of everyone else, so I shouldn't imagine it would be a
    > problem. However, I'll post a piccy this evening.

    I'll e-mail you my moby #, ok?

    Shaun aRe - need new jockey wheels and cables for the BASE, but prolly won't have them by Sunday ;-(

  18. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  19. Jd

    Jd Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm flying with the bike this week and it's just occured to me that possibly the most difficult
    > bit will be transporting the helmet without it getting crushed. The options as I see it are:
    > a) Take it as hand luggage
    > b) Pack it in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothes
    > c) Wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in with the bike
    >
    > Any hints?

    Wear it, you silly sod.

    JD

  20. Tristan

    Tristan Guest

    bomba wrote:
    > I'm flying with the bike this week and it's just occured to me that possibly the most difficult
    > bit will be transporting the helmet without it getting crushed. The options as I see it are:
    > a) Take it as hand luggage
    > b) Pack it in the middle of the bag surrounded by clothes
    > c) Wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in with the bike
    >
    > Any hints?

    Why not just shove it up your arse ?