Helmet use statistics

Alan Walker

Guest
Conventional wisdom has it that the only way to survive leaping from an aeroplane in mid-air is to
use a parachute. However, the epidemiology is extremely dodgy. Some people who exit a moving
aircraft do so involuntarily. Compared to those whose exit was involuntary, those who deliberately
jump out are statistically far more likely to be young, male, affluent and in excellent health. It
is scarcely surprising that voluntary gravitationally-assisted disembarkation activities are, on
average, more succesful than the involuntary: the statistics are confounded by the "healthy
cohort" effect.

I suspect that similar wooly-headed thinking prevails amongst pro-helmet lobbies.

Alan Walker wrote:

> I suspect that similar woolly-headed thinking prevails amongst pro-helmet lobbies.

I suspect it prevails amongst the paranoid part anti compulsion lobby as well.

pk

Originally posted by Alan Walker
I suspect that similar wooly-headed thinking prevails amongst pro-helmet lobbies.
I wear a helmet when I deem there is significant risk. Generaly, this is only when I go riding off road or ride on the track.

I guess that people who suggest that helmets shouldn't be worn haven't visited a BMX track, velodrome or woods recently. Quite often I have seen people hit their heads while wearing helmets without injury. I have seen a number of riders (3) receive quite bad injuries from head impacts and far more cuts & bruses that would have been prevented by wearing helmets.

Perhaps there should be rules for cyclists that take part in dangerous forms of cycling and children (who are more likely to take part in dangerous cycling activities and are least skilled).

One problem with being amoung the anti-helmet wearing lobbies is that helmet wearing might be discouraged in instances where helmets would be beneficial and so increase risk.

Originally posted by Alan Walker
I suspect that similar wooly-headed thinking prevails amongst pro-helmet lobbies. [/B]

I wear a helmet whenever I go cycling, either on my road bike or when I borrow my pal's mountain bike, it's just part of the gear that I wear.

I don't see many cyclists who do not wear helmets around my neck of the woods. Guess it boils down to individual choice and a person's vanity. If you'd rather increase your chances of smashing your skull to shards and swallowing your tongue then don't wear a helmet.

2LAP <[email protected]> wrote:

> I guess that people who suggest that helmets shouldn't be worn
haven'tvisited a BMX track, velodrome or woods recently.

I have never ever met anyone that has suggested that helmets should be worn
--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply Printing for clubs of all
types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk Stickers, banners & clothing, for clubs,teams, magazines

McBain_v1 wrote:
> I wear a helmet whenever I go cycling, either on my road bike or when I borrow my pal's mountain
> bike, it's just part of the gear that I wear.
>
> I don't see many cyclists who do not wear helmets around my neck of the woods. Guess it boils down
> to individual choice and a person's vanity.

No, it boils down to how you ride and whether you believe politicians or scientists. Wise was
the poet who said man is a rationalising animal, not a rational one (2 literary references mixed
up there).

Faced with abundant data, do you select on the basis of large samples and rigorous methods (the
scientist) or what supports what you want to do anyway (the politician).

> If you'd rather increase your chances of smashing your skull to shards and swallowing your tongue
> then don't wear a helmet.

On the data that's available, that sentence would be no less true if you deleted the word don't.

BUT if you're riding in a way that increases your risk of falling off, why not wear a helmet, as
cuts and bruises to the head often offend.

Colin McKenzie

2LAP wrote:

> I guess that people who suggest that helmets shouldn't be worn haven't visited a BMX track,
> velodrome or woods recently.

First, I wonder how many thousand times it has to be repeated that being against compulsory helmet
use is *not* the same thing as saying they shouldn't be worn. On the evidence often posted in this
group, at least several thousand, it would seem :-(

Second, people have been riding around woods and velodromes on bikes for *decades* without helmets,
and neither was known as a bad area of skull-smashing carnage.

> seen people hit their heads while wearing helmets without injury. I have seen a number of riders
> (3) receive quite bad injuries from head impacts and far more cuts & bruses that would have been
> prevented by wearing helmets.

I wear mine to keep cuts, bruises and grazes at bay. The point is that compelling me by law to
protect myself against cuts and bruises isn't really a terribly bright thing to do with laws.

> Perhaps there should be rules for cyclists that take part in dangerous forms of cycling and
> children (who are more likely to take part in dangerous cycling activities and are least skilled).

Though again the case that kids have been riding around woods on bikes ever since there've been
bikes, and nobody's found it unacceptably risky until now, and then only in some countries. Why do
countries with ingrained cycling cultures like Denmark and the NL feel no need for this compulsion,
even though they *ought* to have the biggest problem if cycling was really as unsafe as people like
to make out here?

> One problem with being amoung the anti-helmet wearing lobbies is that helmet wearing might be
> discouraged in instances where helmets would be beneficial and so increase risk.

imagination. I don't know anyone who's in any such thing. Many people who think there's such a thing
have missed the point about *compulsion* having a proven track record of reducing nothing much
except the levels of cycling everywhere they've been introduced. And one thing widely held to make a
genuine safety difference to cyclists is the number of cyclists, with more equating to greater
realisation of their existence and particular problems and that greater realisation leading to
greater safety.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Colin McKenzie wrote:
> BUT if you're riding in a way that increases your risk of falling off, why not wear a helmet, as
> cuts and bruises to the head often offend.

Which of course applies to any riding at all, as if you are not riding you cannot fall off, if you
ride you increase your chances of falling off so why not wear a helmet?

pk (;-)

PK wrote:

> Which of course applies to any riding at all, as if you are not riding you cannot fall off, if you
> ride you increase your chances of falling off so why not wear a helmet?

Very simply because I'll increase the chances to practically 100% that I'll be less comfortable if I
*don't* fall off. I've heard people say that there's no appreciable comfort difference, and I've
even said that myself in the past. But I was kidding myself: Given the choice of having a snug
chinstrap or not with all other things being equal I'd sooner not have it, it's that simple.

On the MTB I *expect* I'll be falling off, and at the sort of speeds a helmet is designed to protect
at, so I'll wear my lid. On the road I expect I won't fall off, so I'm far less likely to. And the
last couple of times I have come off a bike on the road a helmet hasn't made any difference anyway
(#1, not wearing one, 'bent slid out underneath me on a patch of diesel or somesuch. Completely
unhurt, though a bit surprised; #2, wearing a helmet, exited over the bars on the Brom when I hit a
vicious speed bump I'd not noticed. Cut my chin rather nastily, helmet never hit the ground).

PK wrote:
> Colin McKenzie wrote:
>>BUT if you're riding in a way that increases your risk of falling off, why not wear a helmet, as
>>cuts and bruises to the head often offend.
>
> Which of course applies to any riding at all, as if you are not riding you cannot fall off, if you
> ride you increase your chances of falling off so why not wear a helmet?

IF that's your choice.

But there's a chance of falling over when you walk anywhere, and I don't see walking helmets
being promoted. So there should be a level where helmets are deemed pointless even by their most
ardent advocates
- if they thought logically.

Colin M

Originally posted by Marc
I have never ever met anyone that has suggested that helmets should be worn
You are joking aren't you; in some areas of cycling helmets are compulsory (e.g. coaching sessions, racing, etc.). Wouldn't that cound as a large suggestion that helmets should be worn?

Originally posted by Peter Clinch
First, I wonder how many thousand times it has to be repeated that being against compulsory helmet
use is *not* the same thing as saying they shouldn't be worn. On the evidence often posted in this
group, at least several thousand, it would seem :-(

Second, people have been riding around woods and velodromes on bikes for *decades* without helmets,
and neither was known as a bad area of skull-smashing carnage.
1. While you might not be suggesting that helmets are worn, by stating that helmets offer little protection, etc. you are discouraging their use. Surely helmet use should be encouraged (even if its not made compulsary)? If you are not saying that helmets shouldn't be worn and are saying that helmet use shouldn't be compulsary (i.e. should be worn); what are you saying???

2. While woods, BMX tracks, velodromes, etc. are not the scene of skull-smashing carnage (I didn't suggest that someone else did) they are scenes where occasional serious injury occurs (including deaths) in *real* cyclists and non cyclists. As such why wouldn't we encourage helmet use if it makes these environments safer? Why shouldn't it be compulsary?

I don't know what magazines you have been reading, but the nature of cycling has changes very much in the last few *decades*. BMXer's acheive huge heights off jumps, tracks/riders are faster, riding in woods now means *downhill* or *dirt* riding, there have even been deaths in TT's this year, average speeds have increased, more cars on roads (in towns and country), etc.

2LAP wrote:

> 1. While you might not be suggesting that helmets are worn, by stating that helmets offer little
> protection, etc. you are discouraging their use. Surely helmet use should be encouraged (even
> if its not made compulsary)?

In stating that they seem to offer no clear protection from serious head injuries I'm simply guilty
of saying the same thing that the figures do. And while I'm in no way against encouraging people to
wear helmets *if all else is equal*, quite often it appears to be the case that all else is *not*
equal. For example, by getting everyone thinking it's daft not to wear one you are implying the
incorrect viewpoint that it may be unacceptably dangerous without one, which in turn implies that
cycling is dangerous, and that in turn discourages people from doing it.

Take, for example, the DfT's X-ray poster campaign designed (so the DfT say) to encourage helmet
use. It was a classic exercise in spin, bringing home to people that all sorts of nasty things can
happen to them on a bike. That is true, but it's also true that similar or worse can happen to them
doing "safe" things like being a pedestrian or car passenger.

Since helmets really don't appear to make any differences to deaths and serious injuries for typical
cyclists getting from A to B it is stupid to even imply they do, as you'll just engender a false
sense of security.

> If you are not saying that helmets shouldn't be worn and are saying that helmet use shouldn't be
> compulsary (i.e. should be worn); what are you saying???

Where did I ever say whether or not helmets should or shouldn't be worn?
I've said is that there should not be compulsion to wear them, and
I've said that anti-helmet and anti-compulsion aren't the same thing.

> 2. While woods, BMX tracks, velodromes, etc. are not the scene of skull- smashing carnage (I
> didn't suggest that someone else did) they are scenes where occasional serious injury occurs
> (including deaths) in *real* cyclists and non cyclists. As such why wouldn't we encourage
> helmet use if it makes these environments safer? Why shouldn't it be compulsary?

As above, I've no problem with encouragement as long as it doesn't have the adverse side effect of
putting people off cycling altogether. And going on about how dangerous cycling is while ignoring
facts like *real* pedestrians are seriously injured walking along pavements does more to put people
off by creating an air of doom about cycling.

> I don't know what magazines you have been reading, but the nature of cycling has changes very much
> in the last few *decades*. BMXer's acheive huge heights off jumps, tracks/riders are faster,
> riding in woods now means *downhill* or *dirt* riding, there have even been deaths in TT's this
> year, average speeds have increased, more cars on roads (in towns and country), etc.

You're highlighting sport riding in isolation. Getting from A to B, which actually covers a
significant proportion of what cycling is about, has hardly changed at all. And in sport riding,
especially off-road, which is more dangerous, there generally *is* a culture of wearing helmets. I
don't recall ever seeing a downhill MTBer at the local runs on Kinnoul Hill *without* a serious,
full face crash helmet. These have no relevance to everyday utility cycling, and it's daft IMHO to
try and apply usefulness of protective equipment and culture of using it in a competitive
environment to the utility cyclist. It is like saying that since motor racing drivers use multi-
point crash harnesses, fireproof suits and serious full face crash helmets then the same should go
on in a family hatchback. There's no argument that in a crash a full harness is better than a seat
belt, after all, but it's more trouble than it's worth in a utility scenario which is far more
typical than lapping Silverstone at 200 mph.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

in message <Gih1c.35831$%[email protected]>, 2LAP
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Alan Walker wrote:
> > I suspect that similar wooly-headed thinking prevails amongst pro- helmet lobbies.
>
> One problem with being amoung the anti-helmet wearing lobbies is that helmet wearing might be
> discouraged in instances where helmets would be beneficial and so increase risk.

There is no anti-helmet wearing lobby. There's an anti-compulsion lobby, which is an entirely
different thing.

'Victories are not solutions.' ;; John Hume, Northern Irish politician, on Radio Scotland
1/2/95 ;; Nobel Peace Prize laureate 1998; few have deserved it so much

> > First, I wonder how many thousand times it has to be repeated that being against compulsory
> > helmet use is *not* the same thing as saying they shouldn't be worn. On the evidence often
> > posted in this group, at least several thousand, it would seem :-( Second, people have been
> > riding around woods and velodromes on bikes for *decades* without helmets, and neither was
> > known as a bad area of skull- smashing carnage.
>

> 1. While you might not be suggesting that helmets are worn, by stating that helmets offer little
> protection, etc. you are discouraging their use. Surely helmet use should be encouraged (even
> if its not made compulsary)? If you are not saying that helmets shouldn't be worn and are
> saying that helmet use shouldn't be compulsary (i.e. should be worn); what are you saying???

Assuming he's saying what the majority of the anti-compulsion people on this ng are saying, cycling
is really very safe. Relative to other means of getting about it's still VERY safe - walking is a
lot more dangerous. We quite rightly wonder why people are proposing mandatory helmet laws to
protect us from scrapes, bruises, concussion etc when cycling to the shops is a heck of a lot safer
than walking to the shops.

I've also touched on the inability of the cycle helmet to save people from death. It's just not
designed for dealing with the types of forces generated in impacts likely to cause death or really
serious injury. This is never mentioned by those campaigning to force people to wear them - they
promote it as a means to save lives, something it absolutely cannot be relied upon to do. Given the
safety of cycling and the relative crapness of helmets to save people from death or mental
impairment etc there is no /should/ for wearing a helmet in normal AtoB bicycle riding.

Basically, the anti-compulsion people believe one shouldn't lie about the effectiveness of helmets
to make more people wear them. Nor should people mislead about the safety of riding a bike. Instead
people should be told what cycle helmets can do, be told how safe/dangerous cycling is and then
they will decide for themselves. What we've got at the moment is BHIT promoting popping down to the
shops as some kind of extreme sport, lying to parliament (and everyone else) and implying that
helmets /will/ save your life /when/ you crash. In reality they /will/ save you from minor injury
to the top of your head, probably will save you from concussion etc, /may/ save you from something
more seious, and /almost certainly won't/ save us from death or mental disability or whatever it
called. But this is exactly what the compulsion lobby (and they do deserve the term lobby) claim
and promote. It's a lie.

So in summary, he's probably saying that cycling isn't so dangerous as to need protective
equipment, but if you want to wear one it'll do a great job at protecting your bonce to a certain
level in a fall.

> 2. While woods, BMX tracks, velodromes, etc. are not the scene of skull- smashing carnage (I
> didn't suggest that someone else did) they are scenes where occasional serious injury occurs
> (including deaths) in *real* cyclists and non cyclists. As such why wouldn't we encourage
> helmet use if it makes these environments safer? Why shouldn't it be compulsary?

Easy one this - no reason why we shouldn't promote helmets as being something that's a good idea.
Reason why we shouldn't make 'em compulsory is that it's not dangerous enough to make it a
reasonable thing to do, and helmets are not protective enough to make them a reasonable solution.

> I don't know what magazines you have been reading, but the nature of cycling has changes very much
> in the last few *decades*. BMXer's acheive huge heights off jumps, tracks/riders are faster,
> riding in woods now means *downhill* or *dirt* riding, there have even been deaths in TT's this
> year, average speeds have increased, more cars on roads (in towns and country), etc.

But in spite of all that deaths are at their lowest levels well, ever? I think the solution to the
more risky forms of cycling can be dealt with by people realising that the activity is risky and
taking steps to reduce it. Still worth remembering that bicycle helmets aren't really protective
enough to be the ideal solution - AFAIK downhillers often wear helmets that are a lot more
protective.

Pro-compulsion people generally think that cycling is more dangerous and helmets more protective
than they really are. Once they find out a bit more they generally shift to the 'wear it if you like
- I do' view. It is interesting to note that most of the rabid anti-compulsion people on this ng
seem to wear cycling helmets at least some of the time. I think there're only one or two people that
are of the Absolutely Do Not and Never Would point of view. Fortunately they have more integrity
than BHIT so don't peddle in lies and misinformation to promote their personal point of view.

Hope that's clarified the general anti-compulsion point of view. Hopefully we can get another huge
helmet thread started and then I won't have to get on with writing my essay. Actually, I'm not sure
which is worse...

---

Mark Thompson wrote:
> cycling to the shops is a heck of a lot safer than walking to the shops.

Can you justify that statement?

pk

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/StatBase/ssdataset.asp?vlnk=7250&Pos=&ColRank=1&Ran
> k=272

I always enjoy such "innocent" misuse of statistics.

44.8 per billion passenger kilomerters walking
44.1.................................. cycling

Neatly ignoring the difference in speeds, journey distances and exposure times. plus rolling into
the walking data the children, drunks and elderly - none of which I am but which contibute
dispropotionatley to the pedestrina death numbers

pk

> >> Which of course applies to any riding at all, as if you are not riding you cannot fall off, if
> >> you ride you increase your chances of falling off so why not wear a helmet?
> >
> > If you walk you're more likely to die:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/StatBase/ssdataset.asp?vlnk=7250&Pos=&ColRank=1&Ran
> > k=272
>
> I always enjoy such "innocent" misuse of statistics.
>
> 44.8 per billion passenger kilomerters walking
> 29.9.................................. cycling
>
> Neatly ignoring the difference in speeds, journey distances and exposure times.

At last, I've posted this half a dozen times over the last few months - I think you're the first
person to say this. As the figures are for transport
(i.e.A-to-B stuff) I think per km is the best figure.

> plus rolling into the walking data the children, drunks and elderly - none of which I am but which
> contibute dispropotionatley to the pedestrina death numbers

This is irrelevent in the context the data was presented (i.e. Big Brother looking down and seeing
who needs the Magic Protective Equipment). Obviously from these figures giving the MPE to people
walking prevents more deaths for your money.[1]

Obviously for a particular person the figures above would be a very rough guide. But at least I
didn't just make 'em up a la BHIT :p

I would be fascinated to see figures for walking nd cycling adjusted for age,

[1] Actually reading it again I didn't post it in that context at all did I!

---

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:13:59 GMT someone who may be 2LAP
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I don't know what magazines you have been reading, but the nature of cycling has changes very much
>in the last few *decades*.

Incorrect. You described sport cycling, not cycling.

>more cars on roads (in towns and country), etc.

Cycle helmets provide no meaningful protection to the head when a cyclist is crashed into by a car
driver and their car.