Helmet Wankers

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Kunich, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    As is always the case at this time of the year, some wanker has to bring up
    helmets in a way that shows helmet wankers as what they are - stupid ass
    blowhards:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3451325.stm

    You can take the cowboy out of the country but you can't take the hat off of the cowboy.

    Next: baby safety helmet for any time they're put in strollers.

    Tags:

  2. Frkrygow

    Frkrygow Guest

    Tom Kunich wrote:

    > As is always the case at this time of the year, some wanker has to bring up helmets in a way that
    > shows helmet wankers as what they are - stupid ass blowhards:
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3451325.stm
    >
    > You can take the cowboy out of the country but you can't take the hat off of the cowboy.
    >
    > Next: baby safety helmet for any time they're put in strollers.

    :)

    Can you picture Crocodile Dundee in a foam hat?

    How would he attach the animal-claw headband?

    "Aw, no, mate, y'can't be puttin' that on there! Why, what if one of them claws fell off and
    scratched yer chin? That counts as a head injury, y'know!"

    --
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

  3. Q.

    Q. Guest

    > As is always the case at this time of the year, some wanker has to bring
    up
    > helmets in a way that shows helmet wankers as what they are - stupid ass blowhards:
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3451325.stm
    >
    > You can take the cowboy out of the country but you can't take the hat off
    of
    > the cowboy.
    >
    > Next: baby safety helmet for any time they're put in strollers.

    Christopher Reeves fell from a horse and landed *helmet first* ... fat lotta good it did him.

    C.Q.C.

  4. Marty

    Marty Guest

    "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > As is always the case at this time of the year, some wanker has to bring up helmets in a way that
    > shows helmet wankers as what they are

    Hey Tom

    Tom since when has the helmet debate been a limited to a certain time of the year? And besides, it's
    summer in Australia and winter in America so you can't say it's due to the weather. Us helmet
    wankers like to look after our heads all year 'round, unlike the non-helmet wankers who just don't
    seem to care at all.

    Marty

  5. Marty <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Us helmet wankers like to look after our heads all year 'round, unlike the non-helmet wankers who
    : just don't seem to care at all.

    & we're off ...

    hey, coincidentally look what i rediscovered a few weeks ago. i hadn't seen these in years.

    +-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
    +-------------------+ / \
    | | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \ @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
    @[email protected]@[email protected] | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW \||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__ \||/ | | | (______Y______)
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

    ... or alternately:
    ___________________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Please don't |
    / O O\__ feed | / \ the trolls | / \ \ | / _ \ \ ---------------------- / |\____\
    \ || / | | | |\____/ || / \|_|_|/ | __|| / / \ |____| || / | | /| | --|
    | | |// |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/ *-- _--\ _ \ // | / _ \\ _ // | /
    * / \_ /- | - | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

    .. or:

    \|||/
    (o o)
    ,----ooO--(_)-------.
    | Please |
    | don't feed the |
    | TROLL's ! |
    '--------------Ooo--'
    |__|__|
    || ||
    ooO Ooo

    .. or most simply:

    +----------+
    | PLEASE |
    | DO NOT |
    | FEED THE |
    | TROLLS |
    +----------+
    | |
    | |
    .\|.||/..

    tho i don't expect anyone to seriously take the bait, having just had that particuliarly long winded
    helmet thread only a few months back. neat ascii graphics, tho.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  6. Trent Piepho

    Trent Piepho Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3451325.stm
    >
    >You can take the cowboy out of the country but you can't take the hat off of the cowboy.

    First they came for the motorcyclists, but I didn't care because I didn't ride. Then they came for
    the bicyclists, but I said nothing because I didn't pedal. Then they came for the cowboys, but I
    kept quiet because I didn't ride a horse.

    Who's next?

    >Next: baby safety helmet for any time they're put in strollers.

    Ok, who's next after that? Are there any helmet laws that effect more than 20% of any population? Or
    is it just minorities who get told what to wear? Easier to get the laws passed when you select some
    small group, and say, "look at these risk takers, they do something you don't! They raise your
    insurance! Make them wear a funny hat so we can all see that they are different. Isn't it fun to
    make other people live they way you want them to live?"

  7. Peter Keller

    Peter Keller Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 23:51:06 -0500, Q. wrote:

    >> As is always the case at this time of the year, some wanker has to bring
    > up
    >> helmets in a way that shows helmet wankers as what they are - stupid ass blowhards:
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3451325.stm
    >>
    >> You can take the cowboy out of the country but you can't take the hat off
    > of
    >> the cowboy.
    >>
    >> Next: baby safety helmet for any time they're put in strollers.
    >>
    > Christopher Reeves fell from a horse and landed *helmet first* ... fat lotta good it did him.
    >
    > C.Q.C.

    You wouldn't expect it to. I don't see any way a helmet can protect against neck injury.

    --
    This transmission is certified free of viruses as no Microsoft products were used in its preparation
    or propagation.

  8. Q.

    Q. Guest

    <snip troll stuff>
    >neat ascii graphics, tho.

    Yeah well ... take that ...

    http://tinyurl.com/25mqd (way too big to post)

    Live long and prosper!

    C.Q.C.

  9. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Q." <LostVideos-AT- hotmail.com> says...
    > > As is always the case at this time of the year, some wanker has to bring
    > up
    > > helmets in a way that shows helmet wankers as what they are - stupid ass blowhards:
    > >
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3451325.stm
    > >
    > > You can take the cowboy out of the country but you can't take the hat off
    > of
    > > the cowboy.
    > >
    > > Next: baby safety helmet for any time they're put in strollers.
    > >
    > Christopher Reeves fell from a horse and landed *helmet first* ... fat lotta good it did him.

    He didn't get a head injury, did he? I guess the helmet did its job <G,D&RVVVVVVVVF>

  10. Marty

    Marty Guest

    David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Marty <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : Us helmet wankers like to look after our heads all year 'round, unlike the non-helmet wankers
    > : who just don't seem to care at all.
    >
    > & we're off ...
    >
    > hey, coincidentally look what i rediscovered a few weeks ago. i hadn't seen these in years.
    >
    > +-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:.
    > | PLEASE DO NOT | :.:\:\:/:/:.:
    > | FEED THE TROLLS | :=.' - - '.=:
    > | | '=(\ 9 9 /)='
    > | Thank you, | ( (_) )
    > | Management | /`-vvv-'\
    > +-------------------+ / \
    > | | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \ @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
    > @[email protected]@[email protected] | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW \||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__ \||/ | | | (______Y______)
    > /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

    Awww c'mon Dave, you've only got to wave a helmet at Kunich and he starts barking. It's good fun!

    Marty

  11. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 01:45:04 GMT, "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]om>
    wrote:
    >As is always the case at this time of the year, some wanker has to bring up helmets in a way that
    >shows helmet wankers as what they are - stupid ass blowhards:

    As is always the case when some jerkoff wants a MHL, somebody trolls to start another usenet
    helmet war.

    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3451325.stm

    That is pretty dumb.

    >You can take the cowboy out of the country but you can't take the hat off of the cowboy.

    Don't confuse country cowboys with Australian bushmen a la Crocodile Dundee.

    >Next: baby safety helmet for any time they're put in strollers.

    Next: Usenet war about potential mandatory glove laws when somebody loses a hand in a machine and
    OSHA mandates gloves for that industry...
    --
    Rick "You call that a troll? Now THAT'S a troll!" Dundee

  12. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 03:40:34 -0500, "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com>
    wrote:
    >Yeah well ... take that ... http://tinyurl.com/25mqd (way too big to post)

    *sigh*...even with a fixed-width font, it just doesn't look as good as it would on an old 25 line
    console-mode screen...
    --
    Rick Onanian

  13. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]>

    > As is always the case when some jerkoff wants a MHL, somebody trolls to start another usenet
    > helmet war.
    >
    > >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3451325.stm
    >
    > That is pretty dumb.
    >
    > Next: Usenet war about potential mandatory glove laws when somebody loses a hand in a machine and
    > OSHA mandates gloves for that industry...

    In the park where I do volunteer MTB patrol, a woman died after her horse reared and she struck her
    unhelmeted head on a rock. Most equestrians wear helmets these days.

    I got my first (and only) factory job because the kid who ran the machine before me lost his
    hand in it.

    I take this shit seriously. Whatever.

  14. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:39:18 GMT, "Peter Cole"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]>
    >> Next: Usenet war about potential mandatory glove laws when somebody loses a hand in a machine and
    >> OSHA mandates gloves for that industry...
    >
    >In the park where I do volunteer MTB patrol, a woman died after her horse reared and she struck her
    >unhelmeted head on a rock. Most equestrians wear helmets these days.
    >
    >I got my first (and only) factory job because the kid who ran the machine before me lost his
    >hand in it.
    >
    >I take this shit seriously. Whatever.

    It's great to take it seriously outside of the usenet context; but here, it makes absolutely no
    difference whatsoever, and one can save lots of bandwidth by rapidly defusing it with humor [or a
    reasonable facsimile] before it grows (although there's no guarantee that the fuse will not stay lit
    anyway). Did you see last year's big helmet war? Probably a good two thousand messages among three
    or four threads, and I doubt that there was a single person who was influenced in any way.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  15. Q. <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:
    : http://tinyurl.com/25mqd (way too big to post)

    ohh, come on .. i'm old enuf to remember the BBS days. you could have at least given me one of the
    nudie ones.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  16. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    I'm sure my head will be influenced in some way if I wear a helmet.

    Rick Onanian wrote:

    > Did you see last year's big helmet war? Probably a good two thousand messages among three or four
    > threads, and I doubt that there was a single person who was influenced in any way.
    > --
    > Rick Onanian

  17. Csb

    Csb Guest

    wrote:

    >As is always the case at this time of the year, some wanker has to bring up helmets in a way that
    >shows helmet wankers as what they are - stupid ass blowhards:
    >
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3451325.stm
    >
    >You can take the cowboy out of the country but you can't take the hat off of the cowboy.
    >
    >Next: baby safety helmet for any time they're put in strollers.

    I think we should thank the Australians for being guinea pigs in studying the effects of
    helmet compulsion. If they are willing to be of use to horse riders in other countries as
    well, then why not?

  18. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Trent Piepho" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Ok, who's next after that? Are there any helmet laws that effect more
    than
    > 20% of any population? Or is it just minorities who get told what to
    wear?
    > Easier to get the laws passed when you select some small group, and say,
    "look
    > at these risk takers, they do something you don't! They raise your
    insurance!
    > Make them wear a funny hat so we can all see that they are different.
    Isn't
    > it fun to make other people live they way you want them to live?"

    You've hit the nail directly on the head Trent. (better wear a safety helmet for that too)

    If you don't fight it in every single instance you are going to be next.

  19. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Peter Keller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 23:51:06 -0500, Q. wrote:
    >
    > > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> As is always the case at this time of the year, some wanker has to
    bring
    > > up
    > >> helmets in a way that shows helmet wankers as what they are - stupid
    ass
    > >> blowhards:
    > >>
    > >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3451325.stm
    > >>
    > >> You can take the cowboy out of the country but you can't take the hat
    off
    > > of
    > >> the cowboy.
    > >>
    > >> Next: baby safety helmet for any time they're put in strollers.
    > >>
    > > Christopher Reeves fell from a horse and landed *helmet first* ... fat
    lotta
    > > good it did him.
    > >
    > > C.Q.C.
    >
    > You wouldn't expect it to. I don't see any way a helmet can protect against neck injury.
    >
    > --
    > This transmission is certified free of viruses as no Microsoft products were used in its
    > preparation or propagation.

    Of course you can't relive an old injury but some people believe that if he wasn't wearing the
    helmet he would have sustained a fractured skull that would have given him a better chance of
    complete recovery.

    But "what if's" aren't worth a damn.

  20. Q.

    Q. Guest

    "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote

    <snip>
    >Did you see last year's big helmet war? Probably a good two thousand messages among three or four
    >threads, and I doubt that there was a single person who was influenced in any way.

    I was ... I decided that when I go visit my cousin in the Peoples Republic of Canadia this summer to
    cover my (mandatory) magic foam hat with tin foil
    (c:

    c.A.A.