Helmet Wankers

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Kunich, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Frkrygow

    Frkrygow Guest

    Peter Keller wrote:

    > I love the European idea where, when there is an accident involving a bicyclist and a motorist,
    > negotiations start off from the standpoint that the motorist is at fault.

    That concept appeals to me, too. But, as evidenced by the concurrent thread "Young cyclist killed,"
    there are many who think otherwise. :-(

    > Perhaps this is one reason why bicycle accident and death rates there are only 1/3 - 1/7 those in
    > NZ (I believe USA has similar accident rates to NZ), despite no compulsion to wear helmets.

    Yes, that concept certainly should contribute toward pedestrian and bicyclist safety.

    Unfortunately, in the US anyway, driver convenience seems to come first.

    --
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tom Kunich wrote in message ...
    > >The statistics are pretty plain that helmet wearing doesn't change the numbers or severity of
    > >head injuries.
    > >
    > That's surprising - & interesting - have you got some studies/references
    we
    > can peruse?

    http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/hfaq.html

    http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/kunich.html

    http://www.helmets.org/veloaust.htm

    http://www.magma.ca/~ocbc/scuffham.html

    Scuffham is the most important since it was a study done by a group who were pro-helmet and
    unabashedly say that they intended to find a positive effect for helmet use and instead no matter
    how they manipulated the data it showed no effects. A later 're-interpretation' using complex
    mathematical methods claims to have found a very slightly positive effect. That an $2.95 will get
    you a Latte' at Starbucks.