Helmet Wankers

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Kunich, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The laws of physics are the same in the UK as they are here and I simply don't believe a
    > word of it.

    Yes, always better to go with blind faith than facts.

    Try Googling for "risk compensation" some time. Read the study of German taxi drivers and ABS
    brakes, it's very revealing. There's also a rising rate of front passenger deaths in the UK at
    present, linked with the increased use of cars fitted with drivers' airbags by young male drivers.

    Of course, nobody believes in risk compensation. That's why it happens.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
     


  2. Q. <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:
    : "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote <snip>
    :> 31337 d00d ..
    :>
    :> you forgot to mention the anarchist's cookbook, tho nitrate rates.
    :
    : That book isn't all it's cracked up to be ...

    well, no kidding. even as a 13 year old the bit on white marijuana plants growing in the new york
    subway system gave it away. the book was completely ubiquitous during the era, tho. and the yippie
    guide to destroying your high-school ..

    http://free.freespeech.org/yippie/writings/yippies/school.htm

    : For 2 points ... what famous phreak legally changed his name to "Joybubbles"?

    joe engressia! that's easy .. at some point he lived in minneapolis which is where i usually
    live. he, uhhh, pulled what i would call a jonathan richman* and kind of got into children's
    songs for a while.

    * i do like "i'm a little dinosaur" an awful lot.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]
     
  3. Drs

    Drs Guest

    S. Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    [email protected]

    [...]

    > True enough, but the fatality rate in auto racing has come down significantly since the widespread
    > acceptance of mandatory safety equipment regulations. That fact is indisputable. I'm not arguing
    > that mandatory anything is correct..personally, I think nanny laws suck. If you're over 18, you
    > can do anything you want to yourself as far as I'm concerned.

    If you lived alone on an island you could get away with that sort of naivette but you don't. What
    you do impacts on the rest of us in a variety of ways and there's no getting around that fact. You
    live in a community and you should think communally.

    --

    T: Top-posters.
    U: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
     
  4. Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote:
    : It can brew you a cup of coffee, provided you have a RFC2324-compliant coffee maker:
    :
    : http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/coffee.el

    oh, man. i'm a vi boy owing mainly to the fact that i started out as a sysadmin but i've always had
    a morbid fascination with bloated, errr, feature-rich software and once gave emacs a whirl ... i
    think i lasted a few months before i went back to vi & that because i'd drifted towards using emacs
    in vi emulation mode (which wasn't half bad, actually).

    how in the name of god did emacs ever run on a sun 3/50 in under 4MB?

    maybe i'll name my expensive, somewhat heavy, quite pretty (to me, anyway) very functional jack of
    all trades cyclocross/touring bike "emacs" in that vein.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]
     
  5. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > If you're over 18, you can do anything you want to yourself as
    >> far as I'm concerned.
    >
    > If you lived alone on an island you could get away with that sort of naivette but you don't. What
    > you do impacts on the rest of us in a variety of ways and there's no getting around that fact. You
    > live in a community and you should think communally.

    Personally, I'd change that to "You can do anything you want to yourself provided that no material
    harm comes to anyone else without their consent."

    "Material harm" so the kind of people who get offended easily, e.g. when I wear my hideously bright
    cycling gear into a shop, can lump it. The "without consent" is to cater for the masochists out
    there, e.g. people who ride fixies :)

    Graeme
     
  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

  7. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> writes:

    >> Extreme it may seem, but this *is* one reason why i do not drive. I do not wish to be part of
    >> that culture that kills and injures so many.
    >
    > I think it's sad that this seems like an extreme view.

    Maybe the real extremeness is the pressure put on non-drivers to become drivers. Being a non-driver
    can certainly limit one's employment opportunities, for one example. And then there's putting up
    with the incessant, bleated pleas from drivers for us to become one of them. Almost makes one feel
    like the Omega Man. Or that old Star Trek episode with the computer-controlled society ("You are not
    of The Body!")

    cheers, Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca
     
  8. [email protected] wrote:

    > "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 22:26:00 GMT, "John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If that one life could have been saved by a helmet then it is worth it. What value are you
    >>> placing on looking cool?
    >>
    >> Stop driving NOW! Car drivers kill tens of thousands every year in the US ALONE! If even one life
    >> can be saved (and actually it'll bve tens of thousands) surely it's worth it.
    >
    > Extreme it may seem, but this *is* one reason why i do not drive. I do not wish to be part of that
    > culture that kills and injures so many.

    I think it's sad that this seems like an extreme view.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    On a paper submitted by a physicist colleague: "This isn't right. This isn't even wrong." --
    Wolfgang Pauli
     
  9. Rick Onanian wrote:

    > On 05 Feb 2004 04:55:01 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> how in the name of god did emacs ever run on a sun 3/50 in under 4MB?
    >
    > I remember almost shitting myself when I logged into a BBS and read that the sysop had upgraded to
    > 20mb RAM so everybody could run emacs. 20mb? That was nuts! Who could need 20mb, and WTF was
    > emacs, I wondered.
    >
    > To this day, I still can't understand why anybody would need 20mb for a text editor, with the
    > exception of running it as part of an
    > IDE.

    Because calling emacs a "text editor" is like calling Tokyo a "village."

    Remember that the 20mb was not just for *one* person to run emacs, though.

    People used to joke that it stands for "Eight Megabytes And Continually Swapping."

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    On a paper submitted by a physicist colleague: "This isn't right. This isn't even wrong." --
    Wolfgang Pauli
     
  10. David Reuteler wrote:

    > still, tho, linux's largest contribution to UNIX has been coloured ls.

    Heh heh. I actually have installed GNU ls on the Suns and HP machines where I work.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    On a paper submitted by a physicist colleague: "This isn't right. This isn't even wrong." --
    Wolfgang Pauli
     
  11. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 04 Feb 2004 01:44:40 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >for me it was imsais & apple2's .. novation applecats, catfur, ascii express, blue boxing bell
    >south, CP/M, g-files, gbbs, fidonet, LoD, pdp11s, RSTS/E, VMS, unix, the 414 gang and busts by the
    >secret service.

    I'm sorry, did you say LoD? As in, Land of Devastation? Boy do I miss playing that game (and having
    enough time to play it a lot).

    I spent vast tracts of time enjoying that game, mastering it. I met a good friend through it. We
    played for months, and suddenly, he went with his parents on vacation, and I took control of the
    game, and destroyed his character, taking all his stuff. That was great.

    Ah, the strolls down memory lane. He was a little pissed off, tho.
    --
    Rick Onanian
     
  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:
    |>
    |> On the face of it it's hard to add anything to that, other than that I believe the evidence
    |> indicates that cyclists wearing helmets have a greater propensity to risk-taking (risk
    |> compensation).

    Yes, you are right I should have mentioned that. The evidence isn't good enough to either be certain
    that it occurs (though it seems likely) or whether helmet wearing increases the risks people take.
    It could equally well just be a selection effect. In any case, any significant effect almost
    certainly applies to the 'extreme' cyclists only, and the effect is negligible for normal cyclists.

    Regards, Nick Maclaren.
     
  13. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:06:46 -0500 someone who may be "S. Anderson"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >> Amazingly, when the UK introduced sealt belt legislation - driver fatalities stayed the same! But
    >> there was a substantial rise in pedestrian, cyclist and rear-seat passenger fatalities.
    >
    >Can you cite the data for this declaration? I'd be interested to see this.

    It was in the Durbin/Harvey Report. As they were professor's of statistics then one may assume that
    their methods are not open to too much criticism.

    If you want to see the raw data get hold of the report and follow the references.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
    keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
     
  14. Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I'm sorry, did you say LoD? As in, Land of Devastation? Boy do I miss playing that game (and
    : having enough time to play it a lot).

    no, as in Legion of Doom. a late 80s, early 90s hacking group.

    http://www.tech-devil.co.uk/extras/lod/

    they're also known for a pretty swank tshirt they put out for the 1991 hohocon conference that read
    (among other things) "Internet World Tour" with a list of a corporate and gov't domains. on the
    front it had a globe with a sword and telephone handset plunged through it.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]
     
  15. Q.

    Q. Guest

    <snip>
    > >> Stop driving NOW! Car drivers kill tens of thousands every year in the US ALONE! If even one
    > >> life can be saved (and actually it'll bve tens of thousands) surely it's worth it.
    > >
    > > Extreme it may seem, but this *is* one reason why i do not drive. I do not wish to be part of
    > > that culture that kills and injures so many.
    >
    > I think it's sad that this seems like an extreme view.

    It's about as sad as the fact that freedom is considered an extremist viewpoint these days.

    That's the one thing at the core of this whole debate that pisses me off ...

    Allowing people the choice to wear one or not is right and correct.

    Forcing people to wear one is just plain wrong *even if everyone wanted to in the first place*.

    The definition of a liberal: Believing everyone has the freedom to do what they want, as long as
    it's mandatory.

    C.Q.C.
     
  16. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:17:26 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
    wrote:
    >Hey, lemme try: <M-x spook>

    Say, is this a new sport? Maybe we ought to start rec.m-x.spook...
    --
    Rick Onanian
     
  17. Q.

    Q. Guest

    "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : I'm sorry, did you say LoD? As in, Land of Devastation? Boy do I miss playing that game (and
    > : having enough time to play it a lot).
    >
    > no, as in Legion of Doom. a late 80s, early 90s hacking group.
    >
    > http://www.tech-devil.co.uk/extras/lod/
    >
    > they're also known for a pretty swank tshirt they put out for the 1991
    hohocon
    > conference that read (among other things) "Internet World Tour" with a
    list
    > of a corporate and gov't domains. on the front it had a globe with a
    sword
    > and telephone handset plunged through it.

    Yeah ... remember what LoD member Loyd Blankenship (The Mentor) wrote after his arrest in '86?

    http://tinyurl.com/2muzc

    And then a few years later the Secret Service raided Steve Jackson Games for no reason (besides "The
    Mentor" kinda worked there). They took everything, including a paintball gun just because it had
    "Mentor" written on the barrel ... what a paintball gun has in connection with hacking into
    computers is anyone's guess. That scares the crap out of me ... it shows how utterly clueless the
    Secret Service is, they can't even do a simple investigation. In fact, they were sued by Steve
    Jackson Games and lost since they bungled it so badly.

    Anyways, the US Government needs to start hiring some of these guys and give them free reign to hack
    away into other governments computers ... like Canadia.

    Free the Atlanta 3!!!

    C.Q.C.
     
  18. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 00:16:13 -0500, "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com>
    wrote:
    >"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> 31337 d00d ..
    >3y3 0\/\/nz u!

    You guys don't know anything. It's d00dt, and not 'u' but 'j00'.

    >(Gosh, I love derailing a troll thread!)

    We should do it more often.

    And now, harkening back to my bbs days, my old signature, as The Holy Cow (fixed width font,
    please): ___ _ -- \ \-\ \_--

    Or, facing the other direction: ___ _ -- / /-//_--

    My fingers can still put that one out quickly! -- _ Rick "|< - R /-\ |) 31337 d00dt () \/\/ |\| /_
    j00" Onanian
     
  19. Q. <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:
    : In fact, they were sued by Steve Jackson Games and lost since they bungled it so badly.

    what sticks in my mind is the quote from the secret service guy when asked about the seizures (as
    you were saying) .. "well, we can't get the charges to stick so this is how we punish them."

    oops!
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]
     
  20. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 05 Feb 2004 04:55:01 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >how in the name of god did emacs ever run on a sun 3/50 in under 4MB?

    I remember almost shitting myself when I logged into a BBS and read that the sysop had upgraded to
    20mb RAM so everybody could run emacs. 20mb? That was nuts! Who could need 20mb, and WTF was emacs,
    I wondered.

    To this day, I still can't understand why anybody would need 20mb for a text editor, with the
    exception of running it as part of an
    IDE.
    --
    Rick Onanian
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...