Helmet Wankers

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The laws of physics are the same in the UK as they are here and I simply don't believe a
> word of it.

Yes, always better to go with blind faith than facts.

Try Googling for "risk compensation" some time. Read the study of German taxi drivers and ABS
brakes, it's very revealing. There's also a rising rate of front passenger deaths in the UK at
present, linked with the increased use of cars fitted with drivers' airbags by young male drivers.

Of course, nobody believes in risk compensation. That's why it happens.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Q. <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:
: "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote <snip>
:> 31337 d00d ..
:>
:> you forgot to mention the anarchist's cookbook, tho nitrate rates.
:
: That book isn't all it's cracked up to be ...

well, no kidding. even as a 13 year old the bit on white marijuana plants growing in the new york
subway system gave it away. the book was completely ubiquitous during the era, tho. and the yippie
guide to destroying your high-school ..

http://free.freespeech.org/yippie/writings/yippies/school.htm

: For 2 points ... what famous phreak legally changed his name to "Joybubbles"?

joe engressia! that's easy .. at some point he lived in minneapolis which is where i usually
live. he, uhhh, pulled what i would call a jonathan richman* and kind of got into children's
songs for a while.

* i do like "i'm a little dinosaur" an awful lot.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

S. Anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message
[email protected]

[...]

> True enough, but the fatality rate in auto racing has come down significantly since the widespread
> acceptance of mandatory safety equipment regulations. That fact is indisputable. I'm not arguing
> that mandatory anything is correct..personally, I think nanny laws suck. If you're over 18, you
> can do anything you want to yourself as far as I'm concerned.

If you lived alone on an island you could get away with that sort of naivette but you don't. What
you do impacts on the rest of us in a variety of ways and there's no getting around that fact. You
live in a community and you should think communally.

--

T: Top-posters.
U: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote:
: It can brew you a cup of coffee, provided you have a RFC2324-compliant coffee maker:
:
: http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/coffee.el

oh, man. i'm a vi boy owing mainly to the fact that i started out as a sysadmin but i've always had
a morbid fascination with bloated, errr, feature-rich software and once gave emacs a whirl ... i
think i lasted a few months before i went back to vi & that because i'd drifted towards using emacs
in vi emulation mode (which wasn't half bad, actually).

how in the name of god did emacs ever run on a sun 3/50 in under 4MB?

maybe i'll name my expensive, somewhat heavy, quite pretty (to me, anyway) very functional jack of
all trades cyclocross/touring bike "emacs" in that vein.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

"DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> If you're over 18, you can do anything you want to yourself as
>> far as I'm concerned.
>
> If you lived alone on an island you could get away with that sort of naivette but you don't. What
> you do impacts on the rest of us in a variety of ways and there's no getting around that fact. You
> live in a community and you should think communally.

Personally, I'd change that to "You can do anything you want to yourself provided that no material
harm comes to anyone else without their consent."

"Material harm" so the kind of people who get offended easily, e.g. when I wear my hideously bright
cycling gear into a shop, can lump it. The "without consent" is to cater for the masochists out
there, e.g. people who ride fixies :)

Graeme

In article <[email protected]>,
Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> writes:

>> Extreme it may seem, but this *is* one reason why i do not drive. I do not wish to be part of
>> that culture that kills and injures so many.
>
> I think it's sad that this seems like an extreme view.

Maybe the real extremeness is the pressure put on non-drivers to become drivers. Being a non-driver
can certainly limit one's employment opportunities, for one example. And then there's putting up
with the incessant, bleated pleas from drivers for us to become one of them. Almost makes one feel
like the Omega Man. Or that old Star Trek episode with the computer-controlled society ("You are not
of The Body!")

cheers, Tom