Helmet Wankers

In <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Tom Keats) opined:

> It does everything except peel your vegetables ;-)

Ooh, wait! I know this one...

Something about the wheelchair, right?

--
[email protected] | depending, of course, | REPLACE example WITH Dave Salovesh | on your
perspective | mindspring TO EMAIL ME (After more than a decade on USENET , it's finally come

In rec.bicycles.misc Q. <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:
: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law." - Aleister Crowley

lol. that was also on the famous LoD shirt along with "Hacking for Jesus."
--
david reuteler [email protected]

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 01:07:47 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
wrote:
>Hugh Mahon's ee is a cute little editor.

I like e3 better: :In Linux the e3 uncompressed executable's size is at 12000 byte
: e3 is quite independent of libc

While you can, of course, change the keymaps and interface on it with config files, IIRC, it's
default is Wordstar; that's very comfortable for me. I use joe in Wordstar mode when it's around.

I don't mind vi, but I do like e3 and joe better.

>DOS 5's DOSShell had this great little read-only file viewer that not many people knew about.
>Options to display binary files in literal ascii or hex. Sometimes one could discern the secret
>install key in certain software pkgs with it.

I used that!

>It was dropped from DOS 6 for some reason.

Dosshell was great. I think they dropped it because it could be used to make DOS too friendly, so
people wouldn't want windows. Dosshell was like a poor-man's Windows; it used a mouse, had something
like a desktop where you could put icons (I think I remember this, anyway, but I can't remember how
one was to make it exist), had file associations (again, IIRC), and most importantly, task
switching!

I set up many people with dosshell environments that enabled them to use a computer that they
otherwise couldn't have mastered.

How about 4dos? It was like having bash for people who never heard of unix...

I can still hear that pile of full height 5.25" 327mb SCSI drives, outside the case, a stray power
supply with enough splitters to run them, a long internal scsi ribbon cable running out the back of
the case to them, loud, noisy, heating up my room...I got them at a computer show; they were in an
external RAID case, but one was broken, and the whole thing did not function as a unit, so it was
nearly free.

All hooked up, IIRC, to a 286. With RAM in IC form, stuck in IC sockets the way a 486 would have
cache (for that matter, probably about as much RAM as a 486 would have cache...).

I can't imagine how I filled those drives. I had a cd-rom, and installed Slackware on one, but
didn't learn how to use it till a couple years later.
--
Rick Onanian

Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
: vi's a pretty darn good, powerful editor too. I really don't understand these vi vs emacs "tastes
: great; less filling" religious wars. They're both good.

tom needs a trip in the way-back machine. to a time before micro$oft 0wned
u .. to the late 80s and early 90s.

well, basically .. there wasn't microsoft to kick around. so battles were picked with .. umm, more
creativity (desperation). well, it's ironic that the complaint was bloated size because in
retrospect .. well, the fact is it did run on a 4MB Sun 3/50 and run pretty well.

it was probably mostly a sysadmin vs developer thing. admins couldn't use emacs 'cause in the day it
was rarely on new installs or production machines and developers liked it 'cause it was made for
them and almost an IDE and had syntax highlighting, cvs stuff, etc and so the userbase ended up
being pretty clearly drawn on those lines. those two groups were destined to fight about something,
anything (i say this having been on both sides).

i've never known anyone to actually get that crazed about this particuliar "debate" tho. well, not
like how much the new editors ones suck.

nano. dear god. a pico clone! 3rd generation syndrome.

still, tho, linux's largest contribution to UNIX has been coloured ls.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

<snip>
> Personally, I'd change that to "You can do anything you want to yourself provided that no material
> harm comes to anyone else without their consent."

The first time I read that philosophy, was in the Satanic Bible (c: Surprisingly good book. You
should read it.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law." - Aleister Crowley

C.Q.C.

Tom Keats wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >> Extreme it may seem, but this *is* one reason why i do not drive. I do not wish to be part of
> >> that culture that kills and injures so many.
> >
> > I think it's sad that this seems like an extreme view.
>
> Maybe the real extremeness is the pressure put on non-drivers to become drivers.

One of the worst being the assumption one has a driving licence for ID purposes.

John B

Tom Keats wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >> Extreme it may seem, but this *is* one reason why i do not drive. I do not wish to be part of
> >> that culture that kills and injures so many.
> >
> > I think it's sad that this seems like an extreme view.
>
> Maybe the real extremeness is the pressure put on non-drivers to become drivers.

One of the worst being the assumption one has a driving licence for ID purposes.

John B

In article <[email protected]>,
"Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> writes:

> As much as I dislike Michael Moore I think Canadian Bacon is a great movie ... well, maybe not
> great but it has it's moments.

The scene (in 'Canadian Bacon') with the truck getting pulled over because the graffiti on its sides
wasn't bilingual was amusing, although perhaps too reminiscent of another scene similarly involving
graffiti in 'The Life of Brian'.

> "Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11
> months of the year. Anne Murray - all day, every day."

A couple of Canadian films I'd like to check out are Clement Virgo's 'Rude' and Anne Wheeler's 'The
Edge of Madness'.

Anne Wheeler's 'Better Than Chocolate' might be something to watch with the girlfriend. Maybe double-
feature it with Lynn Stopkewich's 'Kissed'.

Canadian film can be pretty good.

cheers, Tom